shyamal

hi I have recently bot a 5.0 system withfollowing components
Denon 1909
Rs6 monitor audio silver fs
Rslcr center
Brfx monitor audio bronze surrounds

Am looking to add a subwoofer
Have tried brw10 MA bronze but found it lacking
Was thinkng of velodyne but only cht10 and 12 seem to available with the dealer. I read on velodyne site that thee models are now diacountined

Wharfeale sw150 and Polks are other subs I m considering

Want something below 20-30k

Any thoughts on which will be an appropriate choice for tega boev combo will be much appreciated
Thx

I did consider rsw12 based on reviews on the net - and found it to be competent esp for movies.
But 80k+ mrp is a bit too steep - one doesn't mind paying for a pair of great floorstanders but not for a sub..
Also its 500w which I think may be too much for a room of size 12x18

I am looking for something in 200-300w range at not more than 30k-max 35k

Any suggestions...???

Well in that case my pick would be the excellent SW250 from the Wharfedale Diamond range. You also get a nice remote!

01.jpg

try out the JBL CSS 10.

This is 150 W, price about 27K. I found it very nice and have it with me.

mpw

I am inclided towards the wharfedale 250
Though not sure how they will sound with the monitor audio combo that I have

Question to rs6 owners in this forum- esp those using their rs6 in a 5.1 setup.- has anyone used their with any sub other than rsw12 and what's the opinion in terms of suitability etc
Thx

Get a powered 8 or 10" sub from Polk, Energy, JBL or the Velodyne subs. Dont worry if a model is discontinued till such time you are getting the warranty and service as the latest sub purchase. Also they are very sturdy in general and don't require much maintenance at all once you have setup correctly.

hi, was considering upgrading my sub from velodyne CHT12 R to the def tech supercube reference -------any suggestions

I don't think you need a 'musical' sub with RS6. They have enough low end support for just any kind of music. So keep the sub-switched off for music. For movies, you do need a sub that covers frequencies below 40Hz.

DefTech Supercubes are amazing. The Supercube Reference is truly mind blowing. Even the Supercube II, which I use with the RS6, is pretty good for movies. You can feel the low frequencies (claims 14Hz coverage!).

Thanks,
Sharad

I don't think you need a 'musical' sub with RS6. They have enough low end support for just any kind of music. So keep the sub-switched off for music. For movies, you do need a sub that covers frequencies below 40Hz.

DefTech Supercubes are amazing. The Supercube Reference is truly mind blowing. Even the Supercube II, which I use with the RS6, is pretty good for movies. You can feel the low frequencies (claims 14Hz coverage!).

Thanks,
Sharad

RS6 goes only to about 38 Hz, and thats an unqualified number, not at -3db. Thats not low enough that you dont need a sub. Many of the subs low range for crossover is 40hz.
def tech is one of the most notorious companies for publishing super exaggerated numbers. if it says it goes to 14hz, it will go there at probably -80db not -3db or even -6db:lol:

RS6 goes only to about 38 Hz, and thats an unqualified number, not at -3db. Thats not low enough that you dont need a sub. Many of the subs low range for crossover is 40hz.
def tech is one of the most notorious companies for publishing super exaggerated numbers. if it says it goes to 14hz, it will go there at probably -80db not -3db or even -6db:lol:

There's hardly any musical information below 40Hz. So it doesn't matter what the response is below 40Hz for music.

My 4 bits
- speakers have long lives but unless u r getting rock bottom discounts why buy a discontinued series
- don't know suitability to RS6 but my order of preference for subs with tight (as opposed to boomy) bass are -
Energy, Velodyne, Wharfedale
- haven't heard deftech but presume they must be expensive (so not sure if a better alternative to monitors silver sub which is supposed to be good and better bcoz its from same series)
- for your room size which is reasonably large 500watts may not be overkill - so don't need to specifically look for a lowere power sub

There's hardly any musical information below 40Hz. So it doesn't matter what the response is below 40Hz for music.

then why do people run huge subs with 2 channel systems. Why does hsu provide a low extension mode which goes down to something like 18hz and they call it the music mode, while the movie mode stops at 25hz. Why do people want musical subs instead of movie subs if there is nothing below 40hz in music. Isnt it a huge wastage of money?
I dont own a sub, just in the process of buying one and trying to learn as much.

doors, chill out. reignofchaos didn't mean it literally. but for most instruments there is no information below 40hz. all the synthesized drums in hip/hop probably are mostly below 40hz and you would need a woofer for sure. there are some other instruments as well. but if you are listening to carnatic music I think I can be 100% sure there is no instrument below 40. If you are listening to indian movie songs, then most of them except for remixes have very little below 40. So, you can be satisfied decently with a floorstander itself. A badly matched subwoofer (badly matched to the room and the front speaker) will kill the music royally. unless you are ready to spend on a fast tight sub that can hold it against an RS6, its better not to get one.

because, not all stereo l/r speakers go down to 40hz at -3db - most bookshelves and satellites would stop at about 60 or 80. Even a lot of floor standing tower speakers do not reach 40Hz. And -3db means half the spl level for this freq. You may like to cross over at 60hz even for a speaker than claims to go down to 40hz at -3db.
So a musical sub in such a setup would handle freq between 40 to 100 for "most" music. Who says explosions can not be musical? In such music, it may handle upto 15hz.

regards

then why do people run huge subs with 2 channel systems. Why does hsu provide a low extension mode which goes down to something like 18hz and they call it the music mode, while the movie mode stops at 25hz. Why do people want musical subs instead of movie subs if there is nothing below 40hz in music. Isnt it a huge wastage of money?
I dont own a sub, just in the process of buying one and trying to learn as much.

doors, chill out. reignofchaos didn't mean it literally. but for most instruments there is no information below 40hz. all the synthesized drums in hip/hop probably are mostly below 40hz and you would need a woofer for sure. there are some other instruments as well. but if you are listening to carnatic music I think I can be 100% sure there is no instrument below 40. If you are listening to indian movie songs, then most of them except for remixes have very little below 40. So, you can be satisfied decently with a floorstander itself. A badly matched subwoofer (badly matched to the room and the front speaker) will kill the music royally. unless you are ready to spend on a fast tight sub that can hold it against an RS6, its better not to get one.

I am just trying to learn guys, no offence to anyone. I am right now in the process of buying a good subwoofer. Hopefully if i con a friend of mine from getting it from US, nothing like it:lol:

This is coming as new information to me that mostly music does not have anything below 40hz, and here I am busting my ass to get a big musical sub.

Ok, so carnatic music, and the bollywood music does not have anything below 40 hz. well, bollywood was kinda expected, but carnatic came as a surprise.

What about the instruments like a piano, cello, organs, bass guitars, tabla, mridangam, dholak etc. Do these also fall in the above 40hz category. I mostly listen to classic rock, blues, jazz, heavy metal, western classical, some indian classical and some fusion music. What about these genres.

Has anyone actually tried to run just a sub with the cutoff freq at 40hz and the rest of the speakers disconnected, just to make sure that most of the times there is no music output.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back