subwoofer in a pure 2 channel music

If you want pure bliss of 2-channel , the sub will be expensive.
There is a speed factor or lag thathas to be in limit for the lowend filling
The bass part has to be covered 'in time' .

Most people miss this part and go by thump power or LF extension of sub .
As per as movies those are real specs but for music the sub has to fast so
that it fills the low end right in time.... such subs are little expensive .

So moral of the story , dont buy sub unless you are not sure if the target is 2 channel stereo , think why lyrithaaudio people did few months Rnd to add a sub to their speakers

Kaushik,

I've heard a lot about the "timing" of the bass.
is this a "good"/"honourable" material to understand 'in time' ?
or what am I missing?
SoundStage! Max dB - Fast Bass, Slow Bass - Myth vs. Fact (06/1999)

Getting inspired by Ashok's Zypher sub setup, I tried adding the sub to complement the ATCs. Result is pretty good.

I had crossed the sub eq at around 50-65Hz leaving the ATCs to handle the rest as the ATCs bass will be more accurate and tight. In my experience adding the sub made it a little more deep. Sub used is 15" Dayton in THT. Its really fast and performing very good for music (Sub has a sealed enclosure with tapped horn). There is no localisation and at the listening position I could only feel as the ATCs has got 15" woofers instead of 8".

I second Sajith here.

My S4s go pretty low. I supplement the very low end with the sub. My REL strata III is accurate and mixes with my fronts. I definately enjoy the music with sub rather than without sub.

I have seen some other subs where they screw up the existing music too.

I also agree with Kaushik that The sub needs to be Fast and accurate to mix well with the fronts.

Thanks
pandu

Back