subwoofer in a pure 2 channel music

If you want pure bliss of 2-channel , the sub will be expensive.
There is a speed factor or lag thathas to be in limit for the lowend filling
The bass part has to be covered 'in time' .

Most people miss this part and go by thump power or LF extension of sub .
As per as movies those are real specs but for music the sub has to fast so
that it fills the low end right in time.... such subs are little expensive .

So moral of the story , dont buy sub unless you are not sure if the target is 2 channel stereo , think why lyrithaaudio people did few months Rnd to add a sub to their speakers

Kaushik,

I've heard a lot about the "timing" of the bass.
is this a "good"/"honourable" material to understand 'in time' ?
or what am I missing?
SoundStage! Max dB - Fast Bass, Slow Bass - Myth vs. Fact (06/1999)

Getting inspired by Ashok's Zypher sub setup, I tried adding the sub to complement the ATCs. Result is pretty good.

I had crossed the sub eq at around 50-65Hz leaving the ATCs to handle the rest as the ATCs bass will be more accurate and tight. In my experience adding the sub made it a little more deep. Sub used is 15" Dayton in THT. Its really fast and performing very good for music (Sub has a sealed enclosure with tapped horn). There is no localisation and at the listening position I could only feel as the ATCs has got 15" woofers instead of 8".

I second Sajith here.

My S4s go pretty low. I supplement the very low end with the sub. My REL strata III is accurate and mixes with my fronts. I definately enjoy the music with sub rather than without sub.

I have seen some other subs where they screw up the existing music too.

I also agree with Kaushik that The sub needs to be Fast and accurate to mix well with the fronts.

Thanks
pandu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back