Subwoofer replacement b/w 610xp vs svs pb 1000 vs rel

Mikael

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and am mainly here to see if I can get some good advice from you experts. For almost 15 years I've been running a 5.1 surround system from Infinitiy Oreus. Recently my sub broke down and needs a replacement. I guess it's a good idea to keep the satellites from the infinity system as I hope they will still be good enough even if I dont just replace the sub but upgrade a bit.
The local HiFi store is trying to convince me to upgrade to a B/W ASW610XP. I admit is sounds great but I wonder if I couldn't find similar performance for cheaper if looking at other brands (which this store doesn't carry). My main options at the moment would be SVS PB 1000 or possibly a REL sub (T5i?) although I dont really like the look of them but if sound is great I can forgive that.
If it matters, I'm using a NAD T748 amp and the room is about 45m2 (480ft2) where the listening aree is just about 20m2 and partly closed off from the rest. Sub will be places in a corner next to couch.
Thanks in advance, Mikael

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and am mainly here to see if I can get some good advice from you experts. For almost 15 years I've been running a 5.1 surround system from Infinitiy Oreus. Recently my sub broke down and needs a replacement. I guess it's a good idea to keep the satellites from the infinity system as I hope they will still be good enough even if I dont just replace the sub but upgrade a bit.
The local HiFi store is trying to convince me to upgrade to a B/W ASW610XP. I admit is sounds great but I wonder if I couldn't find similar performance for cheaper if looking at other brands (which this store doesn't carry). My main options at the moment would be SVS PB 1000 or possibly a REL sub (T5i?) although I dont really like the look of them but if sound is great I can forgive that.
If it matters, I'm using a NAD T748 amp and the room is about 45m2 (480ft2) where the listening aree is just about 20m2 and partly closed off from the rest. Sub will be places in a corner next to couch.
Compared to PB1000 I would highly recommend the xtz 10.17 or the 12.17 which will cost more then the pb1000 but well worth it

Compared to PB1000 I would highly recommend the xtz 10.17 or the 12.17 which will cost more then the pb1000 but well worth it
Thanks, will have a look at them.

Pb2000 or the pb2000 pro would be a good upgrade
Guess I should try to find a place where I can listen to them. Hard to find SVS products around here. Had a listen to the REL T7i today and was quite impressed.

I have a REL T5/i and they blend more with the main speakers and recommended mostly for music. REL also has HT series works well for movies. SVS PB1000 is a ported design, whereas REL T5/i is a sealed box. If you want punchy and chest pounding bass, REL T series is not something you should look for. Also T5/i will entirely disappear if you place it a 480sqft room.

Similar threads on REL for more reference,

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

I would suggest you check the specs of the Infinity speakers (Google it) and see their operating frequency.

You need to get a sub which would pick up the frequency from satellites to the lowest possible as you would not want to lose out on any frequency...

For example....Satellites typically perform between 150hz or 200hz till 18khz or 22khz.

So you need a sub which can operate from 20hz (the lowest for best cinema experience) till 150hz / 200hz....

this will ensure you enjoy playback across all frequencies.

Besides the brands you have seen / heard, why not explore other ones like Definitive Technology, BIC America, Wharfedale, Cambridge Audio and even Yamaha?

Ported subs are more tuned for movies and sealed subs are tuned towards music.......again placement determines the actual performance.....I am more into music than movies and use a ported sub from BIC America...the PL 200 and it works like a charm for both music and movies.....

Trust your ears and take a call...all the best!

I see you are in Holland

Will you like to do a DiY ?

Look up humblehomemadehifi.com

They are in Holland too.

It might be possible to make a slightly bigger sub at a reasonable price

Regards

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

I would suggest you check the specs of the Infinity speakers (Google it) and see their operating frequency.

You need to get a sub which would pick up the frequency from satellites to the lowest possible as you would not want to lose out on any frequency...

For example....Satellites typically perform between 150hz or 200hz till 18khz or 22khz.

So you need a sub which can operate from 20hz (the lowest for best cinema experience) till 150hz / 200hz....

Thank you :)
The Infinity satellites work between 95hz to 22 khz. This shouldnt be a problem for any decent sub.

Besides the brands you have seen / heard, why not explore other ones like Definitive Technology, BIC America, Wharfedale, Cambridge Audio and even Yamaha?
I'm researching and trying to listen to as much as I can before deciding. Problem is that many (but not all) of these brands lack a retail point nearby, or even in the country. Importing might be possible but drives up the price and makes returns and warranties a bitch.

I have a REL T5/i and they blend more with the main speakers and recommended mostly for music. REL also has HT series works well for movies. SVS PB1000 is a ported design, whereas REL T5/i is a sealed box. If you want punchy and chest pounding bass, REL T series is not something you should look for. Also T5/i will entirely disappear if you place it a 480sqft room.
I'll be sure to have the option to return if I go for a REL but I have to say the T7i sounded very good to me in a 250-300sqft room at 50% volume. My seating area is at least partially closed off from the rest of the room so I think it should be able to handle it without too much problem.

Thank you all for the input so far. I got an opportunity today to test a few of the options.
B&W ASW610XP, good, but not worth the price. I admit the setup for the demo for this one was not great so maybe it's better than I thought but I doubt this is the one for me.
REL T7i, impressively fast, liked it a lot. But it's not cheap. Serious option.
Kef kube 12b, purely to get another reference point but it was blown away by the REL.

What are the brands that are available at your place ?
Too many to count at least. BIC I can not find. Also not Rythmik. SVS available online but not to demo. Actually thought Definitive Technology and Wharfedale wouldnt be available but found them in the end.

I'd prefer to find something from one of the local stores and they do actually have a lot, check the link for the options they have, page is in dutch but not hard to navigate and read anyway. Other major speaker brands should also be available.

Last edited:
Too many to count at least. BIC I can not find. Also not Rythmik. SVS available online but not to demo. Actually thought Definitive Technology and Wharfedale wouldnt be available but found them in the end.

I'd prefer to find something from one of the local stores and they do actually have a lot, check the link for the options they have, page is in dutch but not hard to navigate and read anyway. Other major speaker brands should also be available.
Ok you can try Rel since you liked it. Dual 7Ti might make you happy

Ok you can try Rel since you liked it. Dual 7Ti might make you happy
Dual would be way over budget. Rel doesnt seem to be popular here.... Noted.
I did manage to find the XTZ 10.17 and 12.17 online for reasonable price.

As expected, this wont be an easy decision :)

Dual would be way over budget. Rel doesnt seem to be popular here.... Noted.
I did manage to find the XTZ 10.17 and 12.17 online for reasonable price.

As expected, this wont be an easy decision :)
I use XTZ 10.17. It is an excellent sub for movies. Go for the 12.17 i am sure it will make you happy.

Maybe I spoke too quickly. They are all sold out, but, they do have the newer edge versions. I assume those would do too?

Ordered the 10.17 Edge with a nice discount. The 12 would probably have suited me even better but have to keep the wife a bit happy as well and not go too big. Unfortunately there is about a 3-4 week wait before they can deliver.

Ordered the 10.17 Edge with a nice discount. The 12 would probably have suited me even better but have to keep the wife a bit happy as well and not go too big. Unfortunately there is about a 3-4 week wait before they can deliver.
10.17edge is aesthetically pleasing on the eyes and due to its compact size it is placement friendly as well.What color did you order? I have the matt black and it is very easy to maintain. The gloss black is highly attractive to dust and scratches. You can find images of matt black in the below link

Matt black, of course :)
I actually called their office in Sweden and had a very nice conversation with a gentleman there. Very friendly and helpful.
The low pass switch function you talked about in the thread you linked to was one of the things we discussed actually :)
He also gave some nice input on how to optimally set it up to my liking.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back