Subwoofer/subwoofer in 1.5 lac budget

sidvee

Dear Fm's,
I am planning to upgrade/sideways move from a pair of SVS SB 2000 in my HT. One sub is not functioning (I suspect damaged plate amp.) and the other is ok for now (touch wood). However I want to explore alternatives of a 12" sealed sub or subs. What are the options at approx budget of 1.5 lac per pair, or a good single - stretchable to 2 lacs. There is a M&K 12" (my mains are m&K) around that range. I am ok either way, yes I know the 2 subs better than one discussions etc., but my extensive experimentation (over 3 years) in my small room has shown that 2 subs are just a slight improvement over a single. Please let me have your suggestions. Also I am very particular of proper after sales support, so don't want to deal with brands/D&D's that want to make a one time sale and wash their hands off.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Look at the Rel HT Series, their 12" sub will fit in your budget, they just released an MK2 version of it.

Dear Fm's,
I am planning to upgrade/sideways move from a pair of SVS SB 2000 in my HT. One sub is not functioning (I suspect damaged plate amp.) and the other is ok for now (touch wood). However I want to explore alternatives of a 12" sealed sub or subs. What are the options at approx budget of 1.5 lac per pair, or a good single - stretchable to 2 lacs. There is a M&K 12" (my mains are m&K) around that range. I am ok either way, yes I know the 2 subs better than one discussions etc., but my extensive experimentation (over 3 years) in my small room has shown that 2 subs are just a slight improvement over a single. Please let me have your suggestions. Also I am very particular of proper after sales support, so don't want to deal with brands/D&D's that want to make a one time sale and wash their hands off.
Cheers,
Sid
IMO a proper upgrade would be a 15 inc sealed sub. Go for the Rel 1510 predator. Should cost you around 1.8 with discounts. Once you are used to duals there is no going back to one so plan for duals.

IMO a proper upgrade would be a 15 inc sealed sub. Go for the Rel 1510 predator. Should cost you around 1.8 with discounts. Once you are used to duals there is no going back to one so plan for duals.
I used dual SVS sb2000 powered last 3-4 years. Now I am down to single. In my room of 14 x 12 I am not feeling too much difference. At one point I even had 3 subs in the room. Anyways will look into 15" sealed.
Cheers,
Sid

I used dual SVS sb2000 powered last 3-4 years. Now I am down to single. In my room of 14 x 12 I am not feeling too much difference. At one point I even had 3 subs in the room. Anyways will look into 15" sealed.
Cheers,
Sid
Well if you are happy with single then you can stick with one. Also add JL audio to the list.

Cheers,
Sid
This is too small a room for dual subs. With proper speaker placement, I imagine you're left with a listening position of 5' - 7', or a little more for an HT setup. This distance isn't enough for a dual sub setup.
A properly placed single 15" sub will be a worthy upgrade. The soft lows filling and energising the room, even at low volumes is something to be experienced! Since you need it for HT, a single 15" further strengthens the case.

I run a sealed 15" in an 11'x11' for a TV setup, and the bookshelves blend seamlessly with these. I end up listening to music more on this setup than in my main listening setup in a larger room with dual 12" sealed subs.

TBH the duals had an improvement for sure over a single, especially in tactile response, the closer sub to my seat really energized the listening spots. I could feel the vibrations in my butt, including any one who sat in the 2-3 spots closet to the 2nd sub. So that is still an option if I can get within my budget, but I am not using that as my sole criteria for now, as even a single sub energizes the room quite well - of course not as tactile though.
Also what about the Velodyne options available at HFM?
Cheers,
Sid

TBH the duals had an improvement for sure over a single, especially in tactile response, the closer sub to my seat really energized the listening spots. I could feel the vibrations in my butt, including any one who sat in the 2-3 spots closet to the 2nd sub. So that is still an option if I can get within my budget, but I am not using that as my sole criteria for now, as even a single sub energizes the room quite well - of course not as tactile though.
Also what about the Velodyne options available at HFM?
Cheers,
Sid
I am using a Rel HT 1508 in a room size 14ft L X 11 ft W & H. It is more than enough with a lot more headroom to spare for that room size. For a 15 inch it's relatively compact comparatively. It's a very good sub for music and HT.
But pls do check Arendal, JL and sealed Rythmik 15 inch too.

Dear Fm's,
Cheers,
Sid
I had a spare M&k X12 lying with me in absolute pristine condition
I bought the second one to see the impact of dual subwoofer but to be honest one is more than sufficient in my 13x19 HT Room.

I upgraded from Rel S5 SHO to M&k. I also had a svs plate amp sledge 1200 of SVS SB 16 ultra subwoofer if it helps.

Regards

Vikas

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Fm's,
Cheers,
Sid
Why not try to get the dead sub fixed first?

Why not try to get the dead sub fixed first?
I checked with SVS - new plate amp around $350 w/o delivery/customs etc. Not worth it imo. Not sure if anyone will fix the plate amp., I already had a bad experience recently with a technician trying to fix my old Cyrus iii amp. So I feel better to move on, and use an external amp., to keep the unit as a spare. It is over 5 yrs old now.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I checked with SVS - new plate amp around $350 w/o delivery/customs etc. Not worth it imo. Not sure if anyone will fix the plate amp., I already had a bad experience recently with a technician trying to fix my old Cyrus iii amp. So I feel better to move on, and use an external amp., to keep the unit as a spare. It is over 5 yrs old now.
Cheers,
Sid
External subwoofer amplifier is the best option but keep the plate amp tightly screwed to the enclosure when you take out the subwoofer wire. There should not be any air leakage. You can use the port to take the wire out or use the high level inputs to connect the subwoofer wire from inside.

External subwoofer amplifier is the best option but keep the plate amp tightly screwed to the enclosure when you take out the subwoofer wire. There should not be any air leakage. You can use the port to take the wire out or use the high level inputs to connect the subwoofer wire from inside.
This is a sealed sub so there is no port. Also no high level inputs. I removed the phase and volume knob, and connected the binding posts there. The amp. plate is made of heavy metal so very hard to drill any new holes. Anyways the plate is screwed back on exactly as before and the sub. sounds very good - similar to what it was before with a sabaj a20a amp., bridged to mono.
Cheers,
Sid

Cheers,
Sid

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back