Subwoofer suggestion for Yamaha RX-V683 + WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 5.1 HOME THEATRE PACKAGE

iajay

Hi
After a lot of thought, I have finalised Yamaha RX-V683 + WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 5.1 HOME THEATRE PACKAGE (minus the SUB)
Is this combination good?
This is the package I am considering https://www.hifimart.com/package-de...ale-diamond-220-5-1-home-theatre-package.html
Is the Wharfedale D10 10" Subwoofer good or should I look for some other subwoofers in that range or little higher range (My Hall is 16x12, with a lot of openness/openings)
Are the bipole surround speakers in the 220 package good or should I look for some other cheaper monopole BS speakers?
I dont have space behind the sofa, the sofa is against the rear wall. So I think bipole speakers would be good
See the photos of the room and suggest
Also I have marked approx positions for the rear speakers... are they alright?
The front speakers would be besides the TV (wall mounted) at a height of around 6.5feet. Considering that I dont get hit :) on my head
The center would be below the TV and sub can be kept on the ground below the TV
Regards

Attachments

• 20180315_173011_HDR.jpg
    20180315_173011_HDR.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180315_173036_HDR.jpg
    20180315_173036_HDR.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180315_173020_HDR.jpg
    20180315_173020_HDR.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
  • Depending on your budget, get a PORTED sub which is 10/12 inch....most importantly, it should deliver more than 10hz of lower frequency than your front speakers.....a sub which can deliver minimum frequency between 25hz - 30hz is very good and will do well for music and movies...
  • Surround speakers should be mounted not more than 5.5 max 6 feet from the ground......as per photos it seems too high...
  • Bi pole speakers need to move a little more inward to get good reflection / deflection of sound
  • move the Violet sofa to the area to view the TV.....there has to be atleast 1.5 to 2 feet gap from back wall to enjoy the surrounds....
  • Another option is to look for Bookshelf type surrounds which can be placed on pedestal stands....like this https://www.google.co.in/search?hl=...0.4.733....0.z-X15GVoTSY#imgrc=2Xkd4eLmW4V8-M:
  • Look for surrounds which can deliver almost full spectrum of frequencies....as close as possible to 20hz on lower side and 20khz and beyond on higher side.
  • Sub placement in the middle would look a bit odd....try one of the corners where no one will kick or stumble on it

Using the same ( Wharf 220 + 220C ) in my setup with rx-v477. I can say that 683 will drive this combo very well. It will work good for music and movies. Even at high volume levels I have never felt any harshness and it will be easy for long listening. So it is a good selection.

Sub: There are lot of good options in same budget. Need not stick to same brand.
Surrounds: DFS surrounds works on direct and reflected sounds. So placement should be done accordingly. In fact I am also in the lookout for surrounds.

After a lot of thought, I have finalised Yamaha RX-V683 + WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 5.1 HOME THEATRE PACKAGE (minus the SUB)
This is the package I am considering https://www.hifimart.com/package-de...ale-diamond-220-5-1-home-theatre-package.html

If you are leaning towards wharfedale, then fine.. However, if you are open to consider other brands, you can make a 5.1.2 set-up, as you have considered an Atmos capable AVR..

I see you have lot of unused space above TV, near ceiling.. You can mount a pair of BS there.. (or) You already have false ceiling, so you can consider a pair of ceiling speaker to get a near perfect movie experience.. Everything boils down to your preferences..

Is the Wharfedale D10 10" Subwoofer good or should I look for some other subwoofers in that range or little higher range (My Hall is 16x12, with a lot of openness/openings)

How much is this sub?

Are the bipole surround speakers in the 220 package good or should I look for some other cheaper monopole BS speakers?
I dont have space behind the sofa, the sofa is against the rear wall. So I think bipole speakers would be good

Any small BS should be able to fit on the walls besides your sofa.. You may consider keeping them in the room corners, facing you ears than mounting the Bipole speakers behind sofa.. Juz my thoughts..

Some like surrounds a little higher than the ear level, some prefer it at ear height.. Whichever option you like..

The front speakers would be besides the TV (wall mounted) at a height of around 6.5feet. Considering that I dont get hit :) on my head

The ideal height for front speakers must be your ear level when seated on sofa.. 6.5 feet is too high for front speakers..

This looks fine.. You can mount the center, either below (or) above TV.. depending on space aval..

• Depending on your budget, get a PORTED sub which is 10/12 inch....most importantly, it should deliver more than 10hz of lower frequency than your front speakers.....a sub which can deliver minimum frequency between 25hz - 30hz is very good and will do well for music and movies...

• I am considering Emotiva BasX S10 or BIC America Acoustech PL-200 which you have suggested at a lot of places. Would BIC America Acoustech PL-200 be too big for my room? Also it is little over my budget. Any other suggestions?
  • Surround speakers should be mounted not more than 5.5 max 6 feet from the ground......as per photos it seems too high...
  • Bi pole speakers need to move a little more inward to get good reflection / deflection of sound
Ok I will consider little lower, but then the right side speaker would be blocked by the curtains :(
  • move the Violet sofa to the area to view the TV.....there has to be atleast 1.5 to 2 feet gap from back wall to enjoy the surrounds....
You mean interchange the sofa positions?

I searched for speakers with 20hz on lower side and 20khz. But could not find any. Can you suggest some? I want the surround to be in 10-20K budget. Can I consider Polk OWM3 for surrounds? Or some other smaller satellite speakers? Can I tilt the speakers a little bit/. Like the speakers are placed on the rear wall and face the TV. And are tilted towards the sofa. I dont have space to mount the speaker on the sidewalls (there is a window there). So the rear speakers are a real challenge for me

• Sub placement in the middle would look a bit odd....try one of the corners where no one will kick or stumble on it

I can place the SUB at the corner besides the sofa. But wont it be too close to the listener?

Using the same ( Wharf 220 + 220C ) in my setup with rx-v477. I can say that 683 will drive this combo very well. It will work good for music and movies. Even at high volume levels I have never felt any harshness and it will be easy for long listening. So it is a good selection.

Sub: There are lot of good options in same budget. Need not stick to same brand.
Surrounds: DFS surrounds works on direct and reflected sounds. So placement should be done accordingly. In fact I am also in the lookout for surrounds.
What are the surrounds that you are considering. I am also considering Polk Audio OWM3

If you are leaning towards wharfedale, then fine.. However, if you are open to consider other brands, you can make a 5.1.2 set-up, as you have considered an Atmos capable AVR..
I am getting used Wharfedale 220s (front LR) from FM. So that is almost final
So I have to get matching center from Wharfedale. Now I have options for SUB and surrounds
I will upgrade to Atmos speakers sometime later

How much is this sub?
Around 24K after discounts etc

Any small BS should be able to fit on the walls besides your sofa.. You may consider keeping them in the room corners, facing you ears than mounting the Bipole speakers behind sofa.. Juz my thoughts..
So you mean the the speakers should be mounted sideways facing towards the sofa and not facing the TV?
Would Polk Audio OWM3 be suitable for this?

Some like surrounds a little higher than the ear level, some prefer it at ear height.. Whichever option you like..
I place I was thinking is at 7feet height i.e just above the window... Else I will have to move the speakers little inside. But then the right side speaker would be blocked by the curtains :(

The ideal height for front speakers must be your ear level when seated on sofa.. 6.5 feet is too high for front speakers..
Can I tilt the speaker down so the speaker point towards the sofa?

This looks fine.. You can mount the center, either below (or) above TV.. depending on space aval..
:) Atleast the center does not have placement challenges :)

I have been using BIC PL200. My room space is quite small 12 X 10 yet it out performs so well. For your room size, it will well suit. You can stretch a bit in your budget and go for it. It's pure value for money yet packed with features and power.

@ iajay

Look for surrounds which are best suited for wall mounting or pedestal mounting.....all depends on where and how you will place them.....

Based on budget, see which brand / model can deliver the lowest frequency closer to 20hz......typically, you will have surround speakers which start with the lowest frequency as 50hz or 70hz...etc.....see which one is the lowest and then go for it.....the sub is there to take care of the missing lower freq......

The polks OWM are also good....if purchasing from Profx...insist on discount.....they also have T15s if you want to consider.....audition and decide

I have been using BIC PL200. My room space is quite small 12 X 10 yet it out performs so well. For your room size, it will well suit. You can stretch a bit in your budget and go for it. It's pure value for money yet packed with features and power.
Thanks for the suggestion..

@ iajay

Look for surrounds which are best suited for wall mounting or pedestal mounting.....all depends on where and how you will place them.....

Based on budget, see which brand / model can deliver the lowest frequency closer to 20hz......typically, you will have surround speakers which start with the lowest frequency as 50hz or 70hz...etc.....see which one is the lowest and then go for it.....the sub is there to take care of the missing lower freq......

The polks OWM are also good....if purchasing from Profx...insist on discount.....they also have T15s if you want to consider.....audition and decide
Is it alright to use Polk audio with wharfedale?? So you would suggest using monopole speakers against Bipoles.. considering my placement challenges

You can use any brand speakers........depending on placement decide......audition first ofcourse

Thanks for the suggestion..

Is it alright to use Polk audio with wharfedale?? So you would suggest using monopole speakers against Bipoles.. considering my placement challenges

Yes since it is surrounds it is ok to use Polk.

What are the surrounds that you are considering. I am also considering Polk Audio OWM3

Haven't decided and looking for options in a budget of 10k. Initially I thought of going for matching Wharf 210 which is the smallest and slimmest bookshelf in diamond series suitable for surrounds which is 15.2k. I am not sure whether I can justify that price for usage and wanted to trim and buy an affordable one. JBL Control 1 is in my list which is around 8k.

Around 24K after discounts etc

There are some models you can consider at that budget..

So you mean the the speakers should be mounted sideways facing towards the sofa and not facing the TV?

Yes.. you can do that too, if you have a regular BS speaker.. Or try placing them in a corner of two-walls in an angled positioned, so that it faces your listening position..

Would Polk Audio OWM3 be suitable for this?

Yes.. Polk OWM3 will be a good fit for it.. THink they also have bracket, so you can tilt them to your listening position easily..

I place I was thinking is at 7feet height i.e just above the window... Else I will have to move the speakers little inside. But then the right side speaker would be blocked by the curtains :(

Ok.. Move the curtains slightly, when you watch movies.. Or if you are getting OWM3, then shouldn't be a problem..

Can I tilt the speaker down so the speaker point towards the sofa?

Yes.. you can for surrounds.. but placing front speakers so high as 7 feet & titling towards listening position may not be ideal..

Hi
See the photos of the room and suggest
Regards

Hi,
Swapnil here. I been before in same jug. I own dx1 5.1 setup . Had posted on sale at 38000. Black colour hardly used. Have another bs hence kept in closet. Wall mounting bracket will be extra. Have bill. If you have not made payment think of this. If you received Mumbai let you can visit and look at them. If interested please share no.

Sorry Swapnil I have already paid for used Wharfedale 220s Bookshelf pair. Would soon receive them
Thanks Elangoas for all the suggestions

I am still confused about the sub and surround speakers
Should I spent more on sub and take cheaper surround speakers
e.g. BIC America pl-200 + Polk Audio OWM3
Or should I take Wharfedale WH-DFS (costly then the OWM3) and Emotiva basX s10 (Cheaper then the pl200)

Which sub is sufficient with the Wharfedale Diamond 220s Front Left right and center
Would the pl200 be too overwhelming for the 220s?
Any other surround suggestions?

Regards

Should I spent more on sub and take cheaper surround speakers
e.g. BIC America pl-200 + Polk Audio OWM3
Or should I take Wharfedale WH-DFS (costly then the OWM3) and Emotiva basX s10 (Cheaper then the pl200)

Don't choose a speaker because they are expensive, but rather your needs.. Since you don't have much space to place the surrounds, look for a speaker that will provide you the option of wall mount, thread mounts where you can title the speaker... Something like OWM 3 / 5..

Which sub is sufficient with the Wharfedale Diamond 220s Front Left right and center
Would the pl200 be too overwhelming for the 220s?

A sub is to produce lows that a BS might be difficult to handle at.. Any 10 inch / 12 inch sub regardless of cost should be able to complement the system well..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back