Subwoofer suggestions please for 40k to 45k

I do not see much negative reviews for SVS and Velodyne. So I was leaning towards these 2. I am going to use it with my Pioneer receiver. My preference is 50% music and 50% movies. So which one of these suits me best?

Specs of SVS PB1000 and SB1000 is much better compared to Velodyne Eqmax 10. But in real world performance does Velodyne and SVS make a huge difference? Is it a good choice to go for Velodyne over SVS?

@siva - In real world performance will there be appreciable difference between svs vs velodyne? Not really sure - both are excellent - velodyne one of the first subwoofing companies (in the mid '80's) & SVS one of the first direct to consumer sub woofing companies (in the mid '90's). I would be biased towards SVS as having used SVS for more than a decade. See what pricing is offered - and do remember with SVS you will get excellent support from the manufacturer. Depending on your room size (provided it is not too large) and preference I would go with the sealed SB1000. But as i stated earlier, remember that sealed would be subtle - when you require it - ported will be explosive, in your face - you will have to pick what works for you.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Sid

I would recommend the Polk Audio DSW PRO660Wi , 12" Down Firing Sub-Woofer @ Rs 40K list price at PROFX website and showrooms. they would offer 10% discount as a minimum

@siva - In real world performance will there be appreciable difference between svs vs velodyne? Not really sure - both are excellent - velodyne one of the first subwoofing companies (in the mid '80's) & SVS one of the first direct to consumer sub woofing companies (in the mid '90's). I would be biased towards SVS as having used SVS for more than a decade. See what pricing is offered - and do remember with SVS you will get excellent support from the manufacturer. Depending on your room size (provided it is not too large) and preference I would go with the sealed SB1000. But as i stated earlier, remember that sealed would be subtle - when you require it - ported will be explosive, in your face - you will have to pick what works for you.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Sid

Almost decided to go for SVS. My room size is 16 X 17. Will SB-1000 be enough for movies? I like crisp, punchy bass. But do not want to miss the fun factor of Ported Subs. I would want a good balance of both.

Is it safe to go for PB-1000, so that i do not miss out the excitement? Please advice

Almost decided to go for SVS. My room size is 16 X 17. Will SB-1000 be enough for movies? I like crisp, punchy bass. But do not want to miss the fun factor of Ported Subs. I would want a good balance of both.

Is it safe to go for PB-1000, so that i do not miss out the excitement? Please advice

For your room size perhaps pb2000 is bettter with its 12" woofer. However if you do not want to spend the xtra then definitely Pb1000 will be more exciting (though more intrusive) than the sb1000.
Cheers,
Sid

one more thing to be strongly consider about the Basstraps.
Basstraps gives you controlled low frequencies. The effect is much more better than any DSP algorithm.

Very important thing to remember that basstraps are designed as per the room as every room has got three fundamental room modes also called as Resonant frequencies where the subwoofer frequencies boom. You need to control this.

L x W x H and also oblique modes so you have many modes to control the low frequencies. Once done believe me what Iam about to write down beneath..

I had a chance to experience a home theater in Hyderabad where the acoustics were done by a sound expert. He had a old yamaha HTIB yes the subwoofer was just a 6.5 inch ported and believe me the bass was in amazing control once the acoustics were done.

Before you invest on the good subwoofer invest onto the basstraps.

speaker is just 50% on the overall sound other 50% is in acoustics.

Unfortunately im not allowed to post over the forum that who did that setup as it will be like violating the forum rules.

Thanks a lot! That info would really help me.. I already hear a lot of bass reflections in my room even without the subwoofer.

It is a living room with hard tiles. I cannot put a lot of bass traps as it is a Living hall. I have to depend on Wall hangings, Carpets, etc to do the trapping.

Please pour in some ideas. I cannot afford too much as well :sad:

Hello All
I am in same boat as this post creator. I have polk rti a7 and need to decide on sub. I have 2 choices:
1) Polk dsw6600 - net looks, cheaper at 35k. 12 inch cone. Not much reviews on net.
2) SVS PB1000- raw looks (ugly in comparison to polk). 41k. 10 inch cone. Tones of +ve reviews.
Polks have better presence in india as compared to SVS. I want to use on HT for movies mainly. Please advice on SUB as I have just 1 day left to decide :(

I ended up buying SVS PB1000 and it looks BIG and good. I am hoping even better performance once it passes its break in period.

As of now had placed it with the top & bottom covers that came along with the packing as below. Not sure if that would seriously affect the performance... any suggestion ?

IMG_20150222_180143.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back