Subwoofer suggestions

Yamaha ns300 is good sub for its price, but do plan on its placement, as it has ports on side.
From my experience, there is never a overkill for subwoofer in terms of driver size. Every driver size with its enclosure has its plus and minus.

Guess the hts12 would be overkill, i am interested in hts10 nd the ns300 from yamaha

10" or 12" it can be a overkill. If it's too much you can always reduce the volume and adjust bd.

Fyi I have bic Pl200 II got it recently. I have a tiled room and no carpet. Initially it was boomy but when I adjust the db level, it was not boomy anymore.

Also it takes 20-30 days for a new woofer/speakers to open up and so it should be played at 50% volume or lower.

Any idea about getting it from US or UK via ppobox, borderlinx or ubuy etc is it worth using it or should i stick to buying from local dealers

Any idea about getting it from US or UK via ppobox, borderlinx or ubuy etc is it worth using it or should i stick to buying from local dealers
Yamaha sw300 isn’t an expensive sub and not worth going through the hassle of import. It’s available for 26-28k with discounts so better get it from here itself. And also given the current corona situation it should take a long for delivery

Yamaha sw300 isn’t an expensive sub and not worth going through the hassle of import. It’s available for 26-28k with discounts so better get it from here itself. And also given the current corona situation it should take a long for delivery
I wasn't talking about getting the sw300 as an import,if i would get a good deal on any of the better subs by purchasing from abroad and using the above 3 options

I wasn't talking about getting the sw300 as an import,if i would get a good deal on any of the better subs by purchasing from abroad and using the above 3 options
Well subs are bulky and weighs heavy so that alone will cost you for shipping and not to mention import duties and tax. So you will end up paying a lot for a sub which will have no warranty. Also the dealers won’t be friendly in servicing the sub. And as I have mentioned before now importing a sub won’t be easy for you, given the corona issue it’s going to be a pain. Just save some cash and get a good sub here with warranty or keep an eye on sales section.

I have been using yamaha ns sw300 since last couple of months.. Got it from local dealer for 27k.. Absolute vfm.. Has decent performance, enough powerful for my 12x13' room.. It is rated upto 20hz but according to my personal unscientific tests it tapers off aftr 25/24hz very rapidly.. Its - 3db prbbly at 20hz.. Also there is no mention anywhere whether its 250watt rms or peak or anything.. Atleast i couldn't find anything.. At this price it's bargain that's for sure.. Quite decent sub for under 30.. Got demo for couple of polk, q acoustics, svs subs before deciding on this for my 2.1 setup which i use exclusively for music.. I will recommend yamaha..

Custom duty and shipping will be more expensive than buying in India. I tried that route before deciding to buying in India.

I also have same pioneer Aj 5.1. Not happy with the subwoofer pioneer sw51. once you purchase let me know. Also you said the diy route. Why did you drop that?

I also have same pioneer Aj 5.1. Not happy with the subwoofer pioneer sw51. once you purchase let me know. Also you said the diy route. Why did you drop that?
I already have a Cambridge audio aero 9 subwoofer,but i wanted something which rumbles the aero is a hard hitting sub,diy is good option,but i am not good with electronics nd carpentry so will have to rely on someone else,i am looking into options,if you are looking for a sub to replace sw51 try the bic f12 or polk hts12 both would be under 45 k,bic you could get it for as low as 30k

I already have a Cambridge audio aero 9 subwoofer,but i wanted something which rumbles the aero is a hard hitting sub,diy is good option,but i am not good with electronics nd carpentry so will have to rely on someone else,i am looking into options,if you are looking for a sub to replace sw51 try the bic f12 or polk hts12 both would be under 45 k,bic you could get it for as low as 30k

You said BIC f12 sounds boomy right?

I already have a Cambridge audio aero 9 subwoofer,but i wanted something which rumbles the aero is a hard hitting sub
Then what's the issue? Is the aero 9 too old?

IIRC it is 500w sub.. Some of the ones you're looking are less powerful..btw how much did Aero 9 cost back then?

I have been using yamaha ns sw300 since last couple of months.. Got it from local dealer for 27k.. Absolute vfm.. Has decent performance, enough powerful for my 12x13' room.. It is rated upto 20hz but according to my personal unscientific tests it tapers off aftr 25/24hz very rapidly.. Its - 3db prbbly at 20hz.. Also there is no mention anywhere whether its 250watt rms or peak or anything.. Atleast i couldn't find anything.. At this price it's bargain that's for sure.. Quite decent sub for under 30.. Got demo for couple of polk, q acoustics, svs subs before deciding on this for my 2.1 setup which i use exclusively for music.. I will recommend yamaha..
Thank you for the review of ns300. I have been thinking of getting one for myself. Can't find something better in the 30k price range. Your words are encouraging,.I can't find an f12 online for 30k or less. Is it a musical sub?

Thank you for the review of ns300. I have been thinking of getting one for myself. Can't find something better in the 30k price range. Your words are encouraging,.I can't find an f12 online for 30k or less. Is it a musical sub?
It has two modes on its back..movie and music..music mode makes its lower extension somewhat limited, making it closer to sealed sub like experience..though my sub setup is far from ideal due to space issue at my current apartement..thats why i am experiementing with diff mode and phase setting along with variable crossover.. yet to settle at a particular setting.. its difficult to combine sub with an amp, much easier with avr and its lfe settings.. so, you have to search for the sweet spot, but i guess you will like its performance for music too..i am using it mostly for music (90:10) and i am enjoying it throughly.. you will hardly get anything better at this price range in india ..check whathifi review..also, in USA (amazon.com) it is priced at 500 usd, same as svs pb1000 and more than sb1000.. :p

Then what's the issue? Is the aero 9 too old?

IIRC it is 500w sub.. Some of the ones you're looking are less powerful..btw how much did Aero 9 cost back then?
Yes its a 500 watts sub nd its a gem i know that, coz i have heard it in a theatre room and it was awesome,its produces those deep rumbles,its just that rite now in my setup its hard hitting sub not the rumbling type, placement option is very limited for me,i know if i get another sub i might end up in the same situation,its just that i wanted to upgrade. I'm not exactly sure as to how much i paid for it back then

It has two modes on its back..movie and music..music mode makes its lower extension somewhat limited, making it closer to sealed sub like experience..though my sub setup is far from ideal due to space issue at my current apartement..thats why i am experiementing with diff mode and phase setting along with variable crossover.. yet to settle at a particular setting.. its difficult to combine sub with an amp, much easier with avr and its lfe settings.. so, you have to search for the sweet spot, but i guess you will like its performance for music too..i am using it mostly for music (90:10) and i am enjoying it throughly.. you will hardly get anything better at this price range in india ..check whathifi review..also, in USA (amazon.com) it is priced at 500 usd, same as svs pb1000 and more than sb1000.. :p
Space issue is perhaps a common issue for most of us I guess. I too don't have many options about placement.
Yes surprisingly it isn't priced like other subs... Don know why....

Back