Suggest a 'cost no object' full-range driver for Hindustani/ Carnatic music.

No , it's without a crossover on the full ranger..
It's just the subwoofer which is crossed!
So it's not a typical multi-driver.
If it is active speaker and having two amplifiers than probably it has active crossover and will require same matching response for both drivers as passive crossover.
Regards.

Whoa! Glad to see good number of responses. Been on tour and didn't really have time to go through the posts.
If cost is a concern, check out Telefunken 10" Alnico drivers - vintage. Even in an OB loading they can extract decent bass till 60 Hz which are good for his music taste.
Cost is not a major concern. That's what I meant in the title. Since my friend is a non DIYer, not sure I should go the vintage way.
BLH or TL would be great and for BS, drivers 6.5” or smaller would be great. You may search coaxial options too.

Fast forward and safest bet would be to check speaker kits / plans based on Tang band drivers (and others) on Parts Express or Madisound.
as a recent FR horn builder, I have good things to say about tang band, specifically 8 inch w8-1772
but, it will not be a book shelf size. may be their smaller drivers ?

or if you are ok with slightly larger book shelfs (at 28 inches) a really compelling option would be a DIY Decware build of DNA horn
5 inch driver and no need for a sub.
Not a single FR driver as you wanted but for the music you say he listens to, these will be stellar. Get the kit.
If DIY has to be pursued Fostex sigma (I use them) seas prestige is available on madisound. TB paper based drivers are VFM again.
Thanks for the useful pointers. Need to do quite a research I guess.
cost no object ? for real ?
may be its time to explore something like this ? http://www.feastrex.com/products.html
From what I know, they are said to be uber expensive. Checked their site. Audire is said to be their dealer. Wrote to them. Let's see.
madisound also has cabinet designs for this specific driver

It's currently out of stock.
If cost no objective, why not rethm Aarka or FS series. Rethm is too good for classical music.
I did suggest to him but he wants me to make it for him.
Another one. Little costly.

In the right cabinet, these will sing.
My my! Wish I was so adventurous.
The kits include boxes which would increase the import duties in a big way.
They look like Mark Audio. Have they changed their name!
FM @manniraj had these for sale on the forum sometime back.

Will go through. Thanks.

Please do explore the mark audio drivers and their potential. The Pearl audio Sibelius is very well respected and accepted in the musician / audiophile community as a very musically satisfying loudspeaker. The designer worked closely with Mark audio to develop that speaker.

Please do explore the mark audio drivers and their potential.
Yeah, I have made Frugal horns for a friend using Alpair 7A. I still have a pair lying spare, which I promised to sell to Romit, who tuned my Statement speakers.
The Pearl audio Sibelius is very well respected and accepted in the musician / audiophile community as a very musically satisfying loudspeaker.
Yeah, heard about them and saw a review too. But they sell fully finished speakers and that's a deal breaker for folks like me as shipping would be a killer.
@captrajesh I sold my AN 8" full rangers few months back :)
Yes, I'm aware @manniraj :) Wish to audition them sometime.

Yeah, I have made Frugal horns for a friend using Alpair 7A. I still have a pair lying spare, which I promised to sell to Romit, who tuned my Statement speakers.

Yeah, heard about them and saw a review too. But they sell fully finished speakers and that's a deal breaker for folks like me as shipping would be a killer.

Yes, I'm aware @manniraj :) Wish to audition them sometime.
Why not frugel horns with MAOP-11?

Single Driver. Start with a really good one !! One driver, by itself, is limited and should be avoided. Go the route of a single driver - but a duplex, by all means !!

A GPA ( Great Plains Audio ) 604-8H-111 in about a 10.75 cubic foot MLTL enclosure. The newest GPA 604 is a duplex, 15 inch woofer, compression driver on short horn in the middle of the driver. A single point source.

Latest GPA drivers are VERY efficient and high in performance .

Jeff

Last edited:
If you are using a single fullrange driver, chances of compression at the bottom or highs are more
Exactly.

Many get into single-driver systems without fully appreciating what these limitations mean.

Most full-range drivers will need either bass augmentation (to reduce the effects of compression) or high-frequency support (to help with dispersion), or both.

For the DIYer, it is prudent to

1. Start with a good wide-range / full-range driver that has already seen many users.
2. Add some LF support and preferably bi-amp using a passive line level crossover.
3. Add a tweeter on the front or the rear to help with dispersion and hf extension.

Horns (of any type) are very real estate intensive. TLs are less so but can also mean that the cabinet is not "apartment friendly". A sealed box for the bass might offer the best option for small rooms.

Thanks for all the inputs folks! My friend was having some health issues and hence, this project went to backburner.

I got a call from him yesterday and he's coping up well by God's grace. He thinks I'm kind of an expert and was preparing to come over all the way to Mumbai to finalise the project. LOL

I asked him to hold his horses and that I'll organise something for him right at Calcutta. A quick thinking reminded me of our erstwhile FM Cranky (Sangram Rakshit). Called him and explained him the situation. His company, FNL is said to be doing brisk business; so much so that he doesn't even have a demo unit of his Class A amp. But fortunately, he has his Class AB amp which along with his Towers comprising of Volt b2549 woofer, Satori MW13P mid-woofer & Satori TW29 RNB tweeter, are available for demo.
Single Driver. Start with a really good one !! One driver, by itself, is limited and should be avoided. Go the route of a single driver - but a duplex, by all means!!

A GPA ( Great Plains Audio ) 604-8H-111 in about a 10.75 cubic foot MLTL enclosure. The newest GPA 604 is a duplex, 15 inch woofer, compression driver on short horn in the middle of the driver. A single point source.

Latest GPA drivers are VERY efficient and high in performance .
Thanks for the pointers @drlowmu much appreciated.
Exactly.

Many get into single-driver systems without fully appreciating what these limitations mean.

Most full-range drivers will need either bass augmentation (to reduce the effects of compression) or high-frequency support (to help with dispersion), or both.

For the DIYer, it is prudent to

1. Start with a good wide-range / full-range driver that has already seen many users.
2. Add some LF support and preferably bi-amp using a passive line level crossover.
3. Add a tweeter on the front or the rear to help with dispersion and hf extension.

Horns (of any type) are very real estate intensive. TLs are less so but can also mean that the cabinet is not "apartment friendly". A sealed box for the bass might offer the best option for small rooms.
Those are very useful tips @navin advani

I asked Sangram if he makes any speaker with full-range driver and that's exactly what he thinks too.

He's said to be presently working on a project using wide-bander L.Cao F6 (with Ferrite magnet) with a SB Acoustics 20PFC woofer to augment the LF and a Dayton Audio ribbon tweeter to enhance HF in a car style pod.

Likewise in an upcoming design he's planning to use L.Cao FA6 (with Alnico magnet) as mid-range unit with Hivi F8 woofer and a yet undetermined ribbon or dome tweeter.

Of all the designs that FMs have suggested, personally, I'm rather intrigued by this design on Pi Audio site that @keith_correa had linked earlier:

Even with all the seemingly expensive upgrades viz B&C DE250 & JBL 2226, 15 gauge inductor, Audience Auricaps & Mills resistors, the kit is costing a reasonable $1695; plus customs & shipping ofcourse.

Let's see how this goes.

But fortunately, he has his Class AB amp which along with his Towers comprising of Volt b2549 woofer, Satori MW13P mid-woofer & Satori TW29 RNB tweeter, are available for demo.

He's said to be presently working on a project using wide-bander L.Cao F6 (with Ferrite magnet) with a SB Acoustics 20PFC woofer to augment the LF and a Dayton Audio ribbon tweeter to enhance HF in a car style pod.
Where did he get the B2549s? They are wonderful woofers.

Once the drivers arrive, I will work on my version of Poison 8 / Pen Audio / KEF Blade.

Pen audio.jpgPoison_8_1.x.JPGWAW using widerange.jpg
I suspect I may need a small tweeter above 10k, so I have considered an option for using the Fountek Neo 1.0CD. I am considering using a Mini DSP 4x2HD for crossover and time alignment functions. The cabinet might include constrained layer damping and baffle isolation, and for the plinth, I am considering copying the plinth of the Q Acoustics 500 (see below)

Q acoustics 500 base plate.jpg

The two top of mind choices are Lowthers and Fostex.
My uncle had built the speakers with lowthers and his choice of music was western classical but mainly sonata, trio, quartet arrangements(chamber music). Very similar in the frequency range of indian classical.

Forget about cost being or not being an object he swore by these two especially lowthers. They were designed for this kind of music.

Manger is one hellova driver and a manger bookshelf would be so so right.

And for your music genre pls dont count out Magnepan. Would do very well. Check on amplification for these though.

Manek

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back