Suggest an alternative for LG 42 LH50...

spaesee

Hi Guys, as apparent as it is, I am a newb here and I need your help! :)

I am planning to purchase an LCD TV this weekend and have been doing research for a while. I have narrowed down on LG 42" LH50 and Samsung B530 though these models fall in separate categories.

I have received final price as 63K for LH50 and 51K for B530

I have read reviews on LG LH50 and was pretty convinced, however I have not had enough time to evaluate all the options in all the brands available in the market.

Here are my requirements
TV has to be 40" or 42"
Under 70K (has to be the best in its class)

Any help with this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-S

Update: I am getting the LH50 with diwali offer...DVD player that has USB and HDMi free along with 50 blockbuster movies!

Last edited:
LH50 is a great buy if you are out to buy value for money LCD's.... awesome specs and PQ is gr8 too. Congrats for the purchase!

I am planning to purchase an LCD TV this weekend and have been doing research for a while. I have narrowed down on LG 42" LH50 and Samsung B530 though these models fall in separate categories.

I have read reviews on LG LH50 and was pretty convinced, however I have not had enough time to evaluate all the options in all the brands available in the market.

Here are my requirements
TV has to be 40" or 42"

-S

Update: I am getting the LH50 with diwali offer...DVD player that has USB and HDMi free along with 50 blockbuster movies!

We purchased the SAMSUNG 40B530 this festive season. We are very happy with PQ of SD content with Tata Sky. DVDs look good too. The LG LH50 is also a good LCD TV with more features than the B530 (USB with DivX etc.)

Here are my requirements
TV has to be 40" or 42"

-S

you should also look at LH90.. it's LG's LED backlit model, available at almost the same price as LH50 and as per reviews, LG's best TV to date.. comparable with many higher end models from other brands..

Thanks guys, although LH50 looks like a value for money I have not explored the options in sony, panasonic, sharp etc...I want to be sure of the purchase i make cos this will be staying with me for like the next 5-6 years!

from your comments I understand this

40"B530 < 42" LH50 < 42" LH90

Just now I read in this forum that Samsung 42" B650 is great too, where exactly would it fit in the above hierarchy?

It would be great if you guys can provide a LG vs Samsung comparison. Thanks again

-S

40"B530 < 42" LH50 < 42" LH90

-S

Hey spaesee,
The above holds good as my observation too. Refer http://www.hifivision.com/television/6564-led-tv-war-42lh90qr-lg-vs-ua40b6000-samsung.html for LH90 comparison with the samsung LED and other LCD TVs.

If you get LH90 in 65k range, nothing like that in the price range. If you can strech your budget by 7k and have a big enough room, 50" LH90 for 77k is a steal.

Also, have a look @ the plasmas. My experience can be found in the later stages of the above thread itself.

particularly PQ60/70 from LG and C10 from panasonic.

The 42" costs ~40k and 50" costs ~55k. Hope it helps.

Point to note: LH50 has a BAD sound! Have a look at the JAZZ Theatre 5.1 LH60 if you dont have a home theatre setup (I would recommend even if you have one as the price difference is negligible compared to the price itself).

LH50 is kind of in no man's land. I would select either of,
LH60 - Simulated 5.1 surround sound for around 4-5k more.
LH90 LED - for about the same price with excellent picture & black levels but with really CRAPPY speakers/sound.

If you look around more, LH60&LH90 can be had for 65k. The prices you have quoted for LH50 is also seems high.

Last edited:
BLASTO, thanks man. So far I had not considered plasma as an option, but was impressed by the specs of LG PQ70 series as well as the Panasonic C10, however I noticed some inconsistency in the information available on their website, it says the PQ70 series is only HD ready but websites that have reviewed the product have mentioned that the product is 1080P. Check these links

official specs here
http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=320&pid=8116&subcat=PQ70&parent=Plasma TV

Review here
LG PQ70 HD 1080p Plasma TV

also how bad is the sound quality on LH50? The jazz series does not seem refined enough for my taste (appearance in particular)

regarding the LH90 series, I read in the reviews that it has issues with viewing angle (someone even mentioned that one could notice the difference in black levels even if one shifts a place left/right at the couch!!)

Thanks guys...i need more of your suggestions

-S

BLASTO, thanks man. So far I had not considered plasma as an option, but was impressed by the specs of LG PQ70 series as well as the Panasonic C10, however I noticed some inconsistency in the information available on their website, it says the PQ70 series is only HD ready but websites that have reviewed the product have mentioned that the product is 1080P. Check these links

official specs here
http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=320&pid=8116&subcat=PQ70&parent=Plasma TV

Review here
LG PQ70 HD 1080p Plasma TV

They are both 720p versions in INDIA. The over seas counterpart of PQ70 (PQ7000) is 1080p. Lazy reviewers copy/paste the contents from other sites and change PQ7000 to PQ70 commiting mistakes like above.

Also, 720p plasma TVs play SD signals (TATA Sky etc) better than 1080p LCD TVs as far as I have seen.

The thumb rule is,

720p TV -> Better SD than 1080p, Excellent 720p quality, Good 1080p video quality.

1080p TV -> SD quality lags behind 720p, Good 720p quality, Excellent 1080p video quality.

It is not true always.

Also, all HD content demos in the showroom room are 720p. 1080p contents are rare and are available in only bluray at the moment. 1080p content does not appear bad in 720p TV either as I have heard (never seen).

also how bad is the sound quality on LH50? The jazz series does not seem refined enough for my taste (appearance in particular)

Suffice to say it is not up to the mark of the competetion. BASS is weak for music/songs and there is lot of distortion in speech in higher volumes.

regarding the LH90 series, I read in the reviews that it has issues with viewing angle (someone even mentioned that one could notice the difference in black levels even if one shifts a place left/right at the couch!!)

Thanks guys...i need more of your suggestions

-S

I have noticed that the viewing angle is not as great as the IPS panels which in themselves are not as good as 'no viewing angle issue' plasmas.

But Looks like the reviewer has gone overboard stating that blacklevels change when he moves in his couch.. Maybe he has a large circular couch :D

Viewing angles advantage..

Plasmas >> IPS (LG) LCD > LH90.

Black levels..

Plasmas > LH90 > Samsung LED >> LCDs

-S

Jazz and Jazz Theatre are different (in design) but both has good sound. Refer below.

Jazz

LCD TVs- Jazz & Scarlet For Ultimate Picture Quality In Full High Definition | LG India 80&parent=LCD TV

Jazz Theatre

http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=333&pid=9035&subcat=Jazz Theatre&parent=LCD TV

You might like one. IMO, Jazz theatre is good.

Viewing angles advantage..

Plasmas >> IPS (LG) LCD > LH90.

Black levels..

Plasmas > LH90 > Samsung LED >> LCDs

well the ANSI blacks levels of LH90 is still behind samsung LED/lcds or anyother based on spva/amva panel.but neverthless the LH90 is a great buy for the price.

Adder, Blasto...thanks for the suggestions guys. The LH90 is not available anywhere in blore for less than 78K! kinda out of my budget...the JAZZ series definitely sounds better than LH50 but the transparent jutting things in the frame of the JAZZ series spoils its looks, I forgot to mention that I am planning to buy a dedicated sound system in the next 6 months, so am back to LH50 as of now...

I have one doubt though, when I had been to a local dealer to check out my options, I found that during 1080, 24p playback, both sony S550 and Samsung B550 were kinda not that smooth (visibly stuttering) in comparison to the LH50 have you guys observed this? is it a problem with the dealers HD connections or the 200Hz in LH50 making the difference?

thanks
-S

Adder, Blasto...thanks for the suggestions guys. The LH90 is not available anywhere in blore for less than 78K! kinda out of my budget...the JAZZ series definitely sounds better than LH50 but the transparent jutting things in the frame of the JAZZ series spoils its looks, I forgot to mention that I am planning to buy a dedicated sound system in the next 6 months, so am back to LH50 as of now...

I have one doubt though, when I had been to a local dealer to check out my options, I found that during 1080, 24p playback, both sony S550 and Samsung B550 were kinda not that smooth (visibly stuttering) in comparison to the LH50 have you guys observed this? is it a problem with the dealers HD connections or the 200Hz in LH50 making the difference?

thanks
-S

as i have said before the LG tvs which are advertized has 200hz are 100hz+backlight blinking=200hz companies like LG,toshiba call it 200hz.
but a true 200hz system is only implemented by samsung/sony.
anyways a 100hz,will perform better in 24p movies,with less or no judder.
but the LG LH50 does have medicore blacks again not the best SD performance,compared to samsung and sony.
while LH90 fairs better with its local dimming LED.
i think the B550A should be a good buy for the price as great contrast,good image processing.

thanks
-S

I somehow don't see what adder is seeing in samsungs vs LGs. You might be my category.

1) Believe your eyes.
2) If you can't come to a conclusion, visit a different dealer, goto step 1.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back