Suggest audio system for movie and music!!!

saurabh81

I am looking for a descent audio system to accompany my Projector for watching movies and for listening to Music (individually and also for party:yahoo:).
:sos:
Ill be using my laptop as I/P as my projector requires a VGA I/P which is provided by my laptop :indifferent14:. But if utterly required I can opt for DVD player (extra budget for it:mad:).
I may not be upgrading the system ever except adding Blu Ray drive (new laptop or player) :rolleyes:.
Room Size is 12 X 15, with silent surroundings.
Budget ~20K (i know this always gets extended by 25% ;)). Location : Bangalore
I checked out some showrooms, all offered me 5.1 HTIBs :sad:. I liked 5.1 systems because of the looks (specially the sleek tall towers:clapping:), but my options are open for all audio system:indifferent14:.
Please suggest some audio systems with good sound for both movies and music (50-50 %) kind of usage.

:signthankspin:

Try this at Modern World or Sigma Mall. Should come within your budget and looks sleek enough. But for parties you could do better by swaping the fronts for pair diamond bookshelfs.

For 20K the options in 5.1 are HTIBs from Philips and Onkyo (only good for movies).

For stereo music Norge is a good option.

You would need to up the budget to around 45-50K to have a system for decent output in both movies and music.

Thanks guys...
I checked Onkyo its good...
But the Wharfedale thing looks great... Can't a full system be built with it???

Also please suggest some good models of Phillips...

Last edited:
Thanks guys...
I checked Onkyo its good...
But the Wharfedale thing looks great... Can't a full system be built with it???

Oh yes they can but will end up costing quite a bit more than your intended budget of 20K.

Also please suggest some good models of Phillips...

I do believe the out of production model HTS 4750 was a winner from Philips, but do beware that lots of quality issues with the recent batch of Philips devices.

Oh yes they can but will end up costing quite a bit more than your intended budget of 20K..

How about only a good amp and 2 of those wharfedales and a Sub:rolleyes:???

I do believe the out of production model HTS 4750 was a winner from Philips, but do beware that lots of quality issues with the recent batch of Philips devices.

Is there any existing model worth considiring???
My friend is in Phillips so I can get good employee discount:yahoo:.

Last edited:
Sorry i got driven away by emotions :sad:

Going by the requirements i think I have to chose some thing from Onkyo and Philips only :sad:...
Onkyo: HT-S5105, HT-S3100, HT-S3200 :clapping:

Philips: Please suggest some good systems:sos:...

For the said budget,Philips ,onkyo are good.If you extend that Denon DHT-390 can be better(35k+)

Any specific model in Philips :sad:...

No one is suggesting Sony or Samsung??? Is that they are really not up to the mark :confused:???

Hi saurabh,

If you are going to hear music and party too, thro an Onkyo AVR you are going to end up with a head ache in 15 minutes flat. I am talking thro my personal experience

IMHO its better to go with a Marantz entry level AVR (SR301??) and Diamond bookshelves like the 9.2s and then build your 5.1 system gradually with the wharfies as and when your budget allows it.

Thats my 2 cents buddy.

cheers,
sri

Srik is right in this aspect. For music, Marantz performs much better as compared to other AVR and at the same time this is not under performer for movies. Wharfedale WH2 are certainly steal at the price and match well with marantz. May be u can go for diamond 9.1 instead of 9.2 along with woofer at later stage to fit into ur budget.
I would like to make it a point, there is no match between hifi two channel amp and AVR. For music, Hifis are always the winner, even if the source is MP3. My old AIWA NSX999MKII still wins over my HT setup when I go for music. Format encoded with DTS and Dolby for concert and film songs etc. will be justified once u have AVR to decode them.

I did audition of Some HTiBs (Sony, Samsung, Philips) and nothing satisfied me :sad:.

Than I audited an entry level AVR + Speaker (Sherwood and Jamo 406) and found it fulfilling my requirements of Movie, Music and Party :clapping:.

So I have decided to assemble my HT and yes I have increased the budget to around 30K initially and 10K to be spent later:rolleyes:.

Speakers: I liked Jamo S 406, 5 speakers set @ Rs. 16K.
Is Jamo S406 the best in this price range? :confused: If not please suggest the alternatives I am not keen on any brand, Indian or international. Anything that sounds good will do the job:indifferent14:.

AVR: All I know is that I can get only an entry level AVR in my budget of 15-17K. Please suggest a some good AVRs:sos:.

AVR: All I know is that I can get only an entry level AVR in my budget of 15-17K. Please suggest a some good AVRs:sos:.

You can go for the Yamaha 363 or the Denon 1509, there should be a similar one for Onkyo.

You can buy a better second hand one as there would people selling a higher end model which is a few years old at this price or even lower.

Dear srikarkav, thanks for the link.

Sud98, i liked your idea of used system. Do u have any idea where should i search for it???

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back