Suggest Ear phones

They may look a bit odd, but KOSS PortaPro is on par with PX100 - SQ, portability and price. They both qualify for the best $50 you can spend on a gear, they say!

I completely forgot this gem! Thought it's been a very long time since I listened to this one, it was really a nice pair of headphones. It would be a close call between the 2 in terms of absolute SQ but I have not heard the Koss hooked to an MP3 player or a mobile so can't really comment on how it would sound...

These big headphones like grado and sx 100. Can these be driven by phones and i pods.

The PX100 can be driven easily by iPod and mobile phones...

Thanks grubyhalo. I just have to decide between these two. I would prefer in ear goldring. Easy to carry and I do not travel much now a days, if ever I drive down.

I have the in-ear Sennheiser CX-400... very good sound.
Too easy to carry.
I brought a extra pair of same.

But Shure is also a good brand and hi-fi had a shootout of the earphones in last issue..
though many were priced above 15k.

9817_1.JPG

Last edited:
Bazee, thanks, I had gone through that shootout. But they are expensive.
Right now I spoke to Mridul and I have decided on GX 100 Goldring. Let me see My first hifi earphone aquisition. Future I can go for the better ones.

Hi,

I got goldring gx 100.

My first impressions are it is crisp or sharp. But it is lacking lot of base.

It is devoid of low frequencies I was wondering does the earphones also have this breakin.

Hoping that this will improve.

Hi,

I got goldring gx 100.

My first impressions are it is crisp or sharp. But it is lacking lot of base.

It is devoid of low frequencies I was wondering does the earphones also have this breakin.

Hoping that this will improve.

Hey Prasad

Just wanted to know, did u chng the ear clips size to the smallest..???

until and unless they are not properly inserted you will nt get the best out of it..
and one more thing, tht i have observed...
some players have different output, and some different,
so i request you to please try with 2-3 devices, and
try out with Nokia as well...

By any chance can you listen to Sony Erricson in ear headphones and do a comparison? I find them very good.

if u r talkin about the SE, with a collar mike, thn i have already auditioned them, and they are really soft, and have pretty gud mids...

If we compare it from Prasads rating above, then the Base in here is not good, thn tht will be worse...
but yes, for mids, they are really good, and are really clear and soft as well...
and moreover very well priced...
but as they are more prone for talking, they gets beaten up in High n Low Frequencies...

hi I have not tried with all that. In way I am getting kind used to less base now. sound is clear. I wanted to know whether there is break in for earphones. At present with over 4 hours I am kind getting this sound acclimatised.

I am talking about hpm-70.

if u r talkin about the SE, with a collar mike, thn i have already auditioned them, and they are really soft, and have pretty gud mids...

If we compare it from Prasads rating above, then the Base in here is not good, thn tht will be worse...
but yes, for mids, they are really good, and are really clear and soft as well...
and moreover very well priced...
but as they are more prone for talking, they gets beaten up in High n Low Frequencies...

pradski,congrats on the purchase.hope you have the right ear sleeve on cause without a good,comfortable fit i/c gear can dissapoint.also,i guess slowly we all start looking for quality of sound reproduction rather than quantitative so am sure ul start lovin them anyway.personally use a sennheiser cx400 and pretty much all freq seem covered,really good i/c gear for the money spent.havent heard the goldrings tho.cheers

Thanks rallynut, you are right. Like you said I have to get used to this sound.
Senn if it comes less than 1k I may try that.

Thanks a lot all of you.

I have narrowed down to senn px100 and goldring 100.

Along with motorokr s9 for phone use only.(as a blue tooth) does this go with any phone with blue tooth.( iwant to make sure it works with other phones also, I can get from one guy coming from US)

mridul since I am in mysore, I will call when I am in bangalore or may send a guy.

Thanks again all of you.

Moto S9 goes with ANY cellphone with A2DP ( Advanced Audio Distribution Profile ) I am using it with Nokia 5130 expressmusic,.
Please check if your cell has Bluetooth A2DP it may e Bluetooth 1,2or 2.0

Last edited:
hi I have not tried with all that. In way I am getting kind used to less base now. sound is clear. I wanted to know whether there is break in for earphones. At present with over 4 hours I am kind getting this sound acclimatised.

may be your player's internal AMP finding it little difficult to drive the phones , an inexpensive headphone AMP such as FIIO [6$]can improve things a lott.
It has low freq boost function,reviewers found that ,it does not add any coloration to other frequencies,also soundstage is uneffected.

one more option is DIY route with OPA134 op-amp based amp,not sure about this option for bass improvement.

Thanks kaushik,

I tried changing sleeves. All these days I had used midsize which fit properly. Then I tried small as suggested by mridul, which infact was same or no change in the improvement of bass.
Then finally I tried the largest of the sleeve which is little big but it has improved performance in terms of bass and sound quality in terms of all the frequencies are good.

Finally it is the right sleeve. Comparing the earphones I would say I need lot of experience. This is just the beginning of audiophile earphones experience. Though we lived with walkmans in college days.

Thanks everybody
shiv

hi pradski,

Try sennheiser FCS- MM50 IP (RS.2800/-)when contacted from authorized dealer for sennheiser and FCS- MM200 BLUETOOTH (RS......?) both these models are very good for music as well for mobile communication. it has 3.5mm EP stereo connector which will work with your xpress music mobile.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back