Suggest Good Stereo Receiver : 25 - 30K Budget....

elangoas

Hi all,

I joined this forum back in Nov 09 with the intention of buying a Sound bar. I wanted to own one of such sophisticated items. after i joined the forum, i posted my first query abt Sound bars and to my surprise they were hardly any replies. I was very much moved. whatz hot in the market is not hot in the forum.. then i started digging reading n # of threads as & when i get time during office hours & during weekends...I have immensly benefited by joining here. I would like to sincerely thank one and all who have helped me to graduate from a soundbar to a best stereo system.

Now i am looking for a stereo setup. My preference is mainly for listening to MP3 & CD audio tamil songs, listening to FM (60%) & watching DTH (30%)in good stereo sound & Movies on avi format (10%) in a 20ft * 8ft room. So my first step is buying a receiver...

I am conisdering a good stereo receiver because it has tuner inbuilt. I like listening to FM in the mornings & during late nights.. And thatz the only reason i am inclined to stereo receiver...otherwise NAD C326 BEE was what i had finlaised... Buying NAD C326 (26K)+ a seperate tuner ( 10 - 12K) will eat into my budget.

I have a pair of Onkyo BS {Quite Big in size, but low on power Max Input power is 130W @ 8 Ohms, So letz assume 70W is what it is capable & low on Sensitivity too - 86 dB/W/m, 55Hz - 50Khz, Crossover 4.5KHz, Drivers : 5 inch (12 cm) OMF Cone Woofer2,1 inch (2.5 cm) Balanced Dome Tweeter} speakers which came part of HTIB. My brother upgraded the HTIB speakers to Mission M35i (which i recommended after benefiting from this forum). I realised how a good speaker can make a difference...Also i will be getting the Onkyo subwoofer once he upgrades to Sonodyne SLF200A subwoofer. So for now i am not investing on any speakers. Will use the Onkyo 2.1 speaker as a temporary basis...But will be upgrading to a full size FS later in the future when i move to my new location.

Coming to the stereo receiver part, first i searched many posts & threads in the forum on stereo receivers. Looks like most of them are hard core enthusiasist and own a Stereo integrated amplifier. So i had to look for online reviews and found the Harmon Kardon HK 3490 to be very good in the league of Stereo receivers. Solid power of 120W RMS in to two channels, Digtal inputs and more importantly 192Khz/24 Bit Audio DAC which almost eliminates the need for a good CD player...

I live in Chennai and there is no place where i can audition it..If at all i finlaise on this, i need to get this receiver from bangalore..

Could you all please share you experience if you have come across or heard abt this stereo receiver..(Or) recommend other Stereo receiver which are equally good.

Last edited:
elango - There are quite a few ST Receivers out there, just incase you haven't looked at them yet, here are a few that are in close proximity to the HK3490 interms of price and power-ratings:

Yamaha RX-797, Denon DRA-697CI, Marantz SR4023 (80wpc), Onkyo TX-8555, CA Topaz SR10 (85wpc).

I guess there could be more, but if you are looking at digital-in and inbuilt DAC, I would think your choice is pretty limited to the HK, IMO.

I have the RX-797 and have been quite happy with it's performance. I have it connected to a pair of Energy C-100 bookshelves and find the sound to be quite well balanced across the frequency spectrum and connecting the sub only made the sound too focused on the low frequencies.

That being said the 3490 does seem to have good reviews and a no of positive customer feedback on Amazon.com.

There is one reviewer that comments about it's unique high-current ultra-band with amplifier design that allegedly has a frequency response upto 110Khz?! He also comments that it's tonal quality is more focused on high-med frequencies. I'm wondering if this in real world would sound too forward(bright) if coupled with a 'bright' speaker. Again I'm not aware of sound bias of the Onkyo spkrs that you've got. You might need to audition them coupled to the 3490.

Give this a quick read...
Harman Kardon HK 3490 Receiver Review - Review of HK 3490 Stereo Receiver

Will be very interested in your views when you audition it...cheers!

first thing... specs are for un-enlightened(read non members). get over it. what matters is overall sound. u have a longitudinal room that will generate standing waves from sidewalls. avoid high wattage system. loud sound with such acoustics will only defeat the purpose of getting a hifi.
second thing.... the most important thing in a setup is indeed the source material. using an mp3 file viz a viz cd would make ur system sound like its 50 times cheaper set up.
if u have to use fm, do spend some money on fitting antenna on top of ur house to get best signal strength.
just gettign a good rig aint enough.

elango - There are quite a few ST Receivers out there, just incase you haven't looked at them yet, here are a few that are in close proximity to the HK3490 interms of price and power-ratings:

Yamaha RX-797, Denon DRA-697CI, Marantz SR4023 (80wpc), Onkyo TX-8555, CA Topaz SR10 (85wpc).

I guess there could be more, but if you are looking at digital-in and inbuilt DAC, I would think your choice is pretty limited to the HK, IMO.

I have the RX-797 and have been quite happy with it's performance. I have it connected to a pair of Energy C-100 bookshelves and find the sound to be quite well balanced across the frequency spectrum and connecting the sub only made the sound too focused on the low frequencies.

That being said the 3490 does seem to have good reviews and a no of positive customer feedback on Amazon.com.

There is one reviewer that comments about it's unique high-current ultra-band with amplifier design that allegedly has a frequency response upto 110Khz?! He also comments that it's tonal quality is more focused on high-med frequencies. I'm wondering if this in real world would sound too forward(bright) if coupled with a 'bright' speaker. Again I'm not aware of sound bias of the Onkyo spkrs that you've got. You might need to audition them coupled to the 3490.

Give this a quick read...
Harman Kardon HK 3490 Receiver Review - Review of HK 3490 Stereo Receiver

Will be very interested in your views when you audition it...cheers!

Hi Goose,

Thanks for your suggestions. I was also considering the Yamaha RX 797 & NAD C725 BEE. i believe they must be more than 30K+. BTW for how much did you buy your RX-797 for.

I came across these reviews and they have mentioned that this receiver is on the warmer side.. which is good...

harman/kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics
Harman Kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver

So i can take chances in paring this receiver with with forward sounding speakers also...

I have no idea how the Onkyo BS speakers sound. All i know is that It doesn't sound bright when driven hard without bass or treble adjustments on the Onkyo HTIB receiver..

I bought the 797 online in the US (yes, it's rated 120v!) on a deal for $365 but had to pay an additional $150 for shipping (extra baggage charges airline charges) so it was Rs.24k landed.

The NAD however must be a more expensive rcvr though.

Have you located a dealer for the HK yet? And how much are you being quoted pl?

I bought the 797 online in the US (yes, it's rated 120v!) on a deal for $365 but had to pay an additional $150 for shipping (extra baggage charges airline charges) so it was Rs.24k landed.

The NAD however must be a more expensive rcvr though.

Have you located a dealer for the HK yet? And how much are you being quoted pl?

HK dealer is in Bangore. No dealer in Chennai.:sad: I need to travel to bangalore to audition that and then decide...

What is the benefit of having 192Khz/24 Bit processor on the stereo receiver. When i searched on google, looks like it is only beneficial for DVD Audio...

Can someone explain what happens when a stereo source 44.1 Khz/16 Bit is played on a receiver/ CD player which has the 192Khz/24 Bit processor... Is it up-sampled 4 times to 176.4Khz/24 Bit ?

What is the benefit of having 192Khz/24 Bit processor on the stereo receiver. When i searched on google, looks like it is only beneficial for DVD Audio...

Can someone explain what happens when a stereo source 44.1 Khz/16 Bit is played on a receiver/ CD player which has the 192Khz/24 Bit processor... Is it up-sampled 4 times to 176.4Khz/24 Bit ?

No,there is no up scaling kind of thing in audio,the hardware is capable to handle upto 192khz/24bit (DTS HD master).

do also check out the receivers from cambridge audio.not too sure of the pricing,but my guess is,considering CA has always played the vfm card and their pricing in india is competitive to boot,they should fit in ur budget.they do make some very decent AVR's.cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back