Suggest me a DAC

ryanrulez4ever

Hi Guys

Below is my gear

Audirvana (flacs , Qobuz and Tidal) -> Fiio BTR5 -> Feliks Echo OTL Tube amp - > HD6XX

While the BTR5 is doing what it can as a DAC, i have a feeling it could be a weaklink in my chain, kindly suggest me a Good Dac, something that will pair well sonically with this chain, MQA is desirable but not mandatory as long as it sounds amazing

Currently considering burson playmate 2 with V6 opamp upgrade (this would act as a DAC for now and act as a DACAMP should i plan on going planar way).

Budget 50-60k Max (lesser the better)

Hi @ryanrulez4ever ,

I am also based out of Bangalore, have a Chord Hugo which is supposed to synergize really well with the Sennheiser HD650/800s. It can double up as a DACAMP too , drives my Hifiman Ananda with very good dynamics and headroom. I too am located in Bangalore, you can feel free to audition and pick it up if needed.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Below is my gear

Audirvana (flacs , Qobuz and Tidal) -> Fiio BTR5 -> Feliks Echo OTL Tube amp - > HD6XX

While the BTR5 is doing what it can as a DAC, i have a feeling it could be a weaklink in my chain, kindly suggest me a Good Dac, something that will pair well sonically with this chain, MQA is desirable but not mandatory as long as it sounds amazing

Currently considering burson playmate 2 with V6 opamp upgrade (this would act as a DAC for now and act as a DACAMP should i plan on going planar way).

Hi

Are you playing from a laptop? If so then there are other ways to improve the SQ before buying any new piece of hardware.

Regards
Vivek

From my experience with the HD6XX and HD650, get a high resolving DS DAC, I personally use a Burson Swing having an ESS 9038 qm chip. Unlike my other R2R chip and discrete resistor DACs, this is slightly thin in comparison so cuts the bloat of the HD6XX which in my opinion is its biggest drawback. The OTL will do a good job with improving the highs so IMO this will be a great match for the HD6XX.

Hi @ryanrulez4ever ,

I am also based out of Bangalore, have a Chord Hugo which is supposed to synergize really well with the Sennheiser HD650/800s. It can double up as a DACAMP too , drives my Hifiman Ananda with very good dynamics and headroom. I too am located in Bangalore, you can feel free to audition and pick it up if needed.
Ill let you know bro if i want to go with chord stuff my use case would be desktop and fixed, i want something that will work well with my OTL amp and 6XX, ill read about it

Hi

Are you playing from a laptop? If so then there are other ways to improve the SQ before buying any new piece of hardware.

Regards
Vivek
No ill be using a desktop

From my experience with the HD6XX and HD650, get a high resolving DS DAC, I personally use a Burson Swing having an ESS 9038 qm chip. Unlike my other R2R chip and discrete resistor DACs, this is slightly thin in comparison so cuts the bloat of the HD6XX which in my opinion is its biggest drawback. The OTL will do a good job with improving the highs so IMO this will be a great match for the HD6XX.
oh and i thought Korg was only into live performance equipment's, let me read some more reviews

Ill let you know bro if i want to go with chord stuff my use case would be desktop and fixed, i want something that will work well with my OTL amp and 6XX, ill read about it

No ill be using a desktop

oh and i thought Korg was only into live performance equipment's, let me read some more reviews

Am using it as a desktop setup itself, i run it via RCA cables to the sapphire amp. You can feel free to drop by to have a listen anytime :)

Hi Guys

Below is my gear

But if you ever increase your budget, do check Prism Sound Callia.

Hi Guys

Below is my gear

Why don't you pick up @oyster's Soekris? Its posted in the sale forum and is within your budget.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back