suggest me an good SW/MW radio

ashwath

Friends,

New to this forum, even though I was reading the threads for many years regarding Analog radios
Please suggest me an good SW/MW radio want to buy it
Did some search and found these models, inform where I can buy them in India and also some good models which are available here

Sony ICF-SW11
Sony ICF-SW7600GR

Thanks
Ashwath

Hi I too am on the look out with the same requirement, If you have the budget pl go for 7600GR, my experience with budget Sony models has not been very good. As a matter of fact even the so called best MW radio Sangean PRD5 didn't work for me. It may be due the location. But I personally heard very good things about 7600 series. If you have PayPal account suggest to search EbaY Hong Kong or Singapore sites. You can buy them directly - Tecsun PL 660 or 680 should do well Grundig or CC crane models also are reputed

For my radio needs, I have the following three radio sets in Mumbai:

1) Sony ICF-SW11 World Band Radio, bought from Tokyo, Japan in year 2002

2) Panasonic RF-800U, 4 band radio with USB port and mp3. Bought this from Dubai, UAE. It has FM, MW, SW1 and SW2 along with a music mp3 player. It also has a 6 V DC port with 1.2A current. I had to prepare this adaptor in Mumbai at a local shop as such configuration is not easily available.

3) Sony ICF-J40, 4 band radio. Bought this from Dubai, UAE. It has FM, MW, SW1 and SW2. This is now getting sold on Amazon India also.

I am not a digitised person and it is cumbersome for me to tune or scan a frequency in digits. Moreover, nothing works perfect in Mumbai highrises because the apartment noise and adjacent noise and the RCC structure is far worst for radio reception.

The ideal radio for modern day highrise buildings will require some good engineering inside and bandspread SW bands.

Another radio on my radar is:

New Toshiba Ty HRU30 FM Am SW Shortwave USB Radio 220V | eBay

The ebay seller from Hong Kong ships to India. This radio can be a great "to try" as it has everything. We dont know the quality though as I cannot comment.

For AM reception in Mumbai:
I have the the Tecsun AN100 loop antenna which I ordered from USA.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...TSKfKWpcpT7opCdl_zxLewiA&ust=1474965855689718

For indoor SW reception:
I have the Kaito SW reel antenna which has around 7 meter long wire which can be rolled inside like extension board.

Kaito T-1 Shortwave Radio Antenna | Kaito Electronics Inc

I also have another SW antenna that is end fed, wire is almost 12 meters long. It is simple 3mm electrical PVC cable wire with crocodile clip attached. I just hang the wire on the high rise window outside and clip on the telescopic. I need to shutdown the broadband modem though as it interferes with the SW reception on these radios.

Most modern day radios lack lot of important circuitry inside. Also, many things are coupled together inside single IC. An important tuned RF stage is lacking in all radio sets these days, that was always a benefit on certain valve radios and communications receivers in 1970s. Many American valve radios had tuned RF stage. Most Indian valve radios lacked tuned RF stage, I believe only a single Philips India valve radio had a tuned RF stage.
My National Ekco A731 valve radio has a tuned RF stage. It gives very nice selectivity and clear SW reception.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your detailed post. It's informative and highlights your love towards radio. It has revived my interest in AM / SW radio. Recently I ended my efforts for good FM reception by installing DD STB. However we have two AM/SW radios lying unused. I will get the AM antenna u have shared, hope it works. If you can give more details on the DIY SW antenna and also share how the loop antenna works then I would be grateful. Btw we have Grundig S350 DL and Tecsun PL380. Both work fine now but I guess an antenna will improve the AM SW reception greatly. Kindly share more details. Thanks a ton.

Sent thru mobile

Please don't go for SONY ICF SW11. I used it for 3 years and the band switch have alignment problem. I am not serviced and it is worthless. The entire enclosure is made of styrene and not ABS. After 3 to 4 years the plastic gets minimal degrade. MW reception is okay and not for dxing.
Tecsun PL-380 is very strong reception on AM/FM/SW. No disappointment.

FM antenna:
You can Prepare yourself. Get a TV antenna twin wire and make it.

How to Build a better FM Antenna

SW antenna:
Ideally, one needs 70 feet of long flexible insulated wire. Attach one crocodile clip on one end. Leave the other end high on top.

MW loop antenna:
This will require a old valve radio tuning gang 365pf air variable aluminium capacitor. It will require some measurements for you to prepare the loop for winding turns.
You can also prepare MW loop using multi strand computer cable.

Alternately, just try to get a the copper mesh aerial that India used to sell in the olden days. Some shop may still be selling that. See photos.

Attachments

• mesh_aerial_fine_copper.jpg
    mesh_aerial_fine_copper.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 57
  • mesh_aerial_closeup.jpg
    mesh_aerial_closeup.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 56
nice to see the good old mesh after so many years :)

on another note, with the antenna positioned near your fan regulator (you probably have fluorescent switching on there as well), you'd be inviting a lot of electrical interference (that irritating buzz) :)

The copper mesh aerial is not mine. It is of someone else from Mysore.

``Mysurean Musings: Bush Radio and its Magic Eye

Originally in 1966, my Dad never had this copper aerial so he used inverted L copper wire strung between bamboos on terrace and a lead in wire from there to radio. That soon broke due to weather, pigeons and crows.

Later on the copper mesh as an indoor long wire aerial became a good selling product and was visible across households during late 1970s and 1980s as well.

My own copper wire aerial is strung on my 6th floor apartment in the window frame which is also not a good position as the metal window boxes are blockages for the radio signals. But highrises have no other options.

nice to see the good old mesh after so many years :)

on another note, with the antenna positioned near your fan regulator (you probably have fluorescent switching on there as well), you'd be inviting a lot of electrical interference (that irritating buzz) :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back