RPi , (Audrino) aficionados - please chip in

Subbu68

There were a few posts on radios that quite a few of us started with before plunging into HiFi world. That revived the love for radios but not able to "catch" as many waves as a few years back.

AIR is going off air with MW and SW analog broadcast and switch to DRM. Possibly FM too will follow. So too EU have moved to DAB. As a result all the classic radios and component tuners are going to junk. We have to wait for affordable DRM receivers and tuners to come to the market. (though some car radios have DRM now in India)

But in the meantime RPi, (maybe Audrino), Windows and Mac have solution to receive anything in this world - LW, MW, SW, FM, Airband, Ham, SSB - digital or analog with RTL SDR modules.

RTL SDR receive the RF, upconvert to IF frequency and these modules plug into the micro controllers or laptop or Mac and SDR software does everything else to demodulate and output the AF. Cheapest is to user RPi (maybe Audrino) or give another duty to the laptop or Mac.

I am thinking of going the RPi (or Audrino not sure) way and build an all in one perhaps - radio tuner, CDP and maybe network player.

Has any RPi aficionados among the HFV members worked on SDR solutions? Can anyone provide further information from his experience on this?

What’s the legality over this? Does it need any licenses/registrations? Also, can the dongle work with streamers too? Or needs some app and hence a computer.

Also, on DRM, what are some of the most affordable ones available in India?

What’s the legality over this? Does it need any licenses/registrations? Also, can the dongle work with streamers too? Or needs some app and hence a computer.

Also, on DRM, what are some of the most affordable ones available in India?
I have my current analog PLL tuned receivers that can receive SSB and complete SW spectrum but that do not need a license. To my knowledge if you don't transmit with SDRs (like HAM) there is no license needed only to receive and listen to signals just like regular radios. (there are two way Tx / Rx SDR modules).

I think with a RPi or laptop / Mac you can have streaming, radio and CDP - so a 3-in-1 like yesteryears. Someone over here had made a RPi streamer with in-built CDP. SDR will be an additional module to it perhaps.

In my search there is no affordable DRM receiver now in India except the car radios in Marutis, Hyundais.

Personally I don't support this migration to DRM - what will you do with the millions of radios that will go defunct if DRM takes over completely? Electronic waste.

I have a Nooelec SDR dongle and a HackRF clone with me but havent got time to set them up
:cool: Cool... There you have. Start the work and share us the experience :)

Can you not integrate with that Allo Boss? It is RPi based isn't it?

I may give in for a Nooelec bundle soon... Still not able to decide if to add a Tecsun R909 or Eton Field or Sangean PRD-15 or C.Crane 2 EP Pro to my collection of radios or go for Nooelec. The former would be just swipe the card, put in the cells, switch on and listen. The latter would be hard work to learn, integrate, make it work or fail :)

Cool... There you have. Start the work and share us the experience :)
I have a long queue of pending items, let me see if I can get something going
Can you not integrate with that Allo Boss? It is RPi based isn't it?
I didnt understand what you meant by integrating it with Allo Boss. I had used an old image which included SDR software for Beaglebone Black and it did work. I could not build a decent antenna for it though. I havent seen the BBB recently, got to find it and see if it works now. I tried gqrx but it was too complicated for me, I couldn't get a FM broadcast station working through it

I have a long queue of pending items, let me see if I can get something going

I didnt understand what you meant by integrating it with Allo Boss. I had used an old image which included SDR software for Beaglebone Black and it did work. I could not build a decent antenna for it though. I havent seen the BBB recently, got to find it and see if it works now. I tried gqrx but it was too complicated for me, I couldn't get a FM broadcast station working through it
Since Allo is based on RPi, I thought you could add the SDR if it had a spare USB. The output of Allo goes to DAC so you have AM / FM tuner in your system?

Since Allo is based on RPi, I thought you could add the SDR if it had a spare USB. The output of Allo goes to DAC so you have AM / FM tuner in your system?
Got you now. They way I had planned it is to connect the dongle to a Pi and run rtl_tcp service. Then run the software in my PC. The audio is generated at the PC and routed to the PC speakers. I would rather not disturb the Allo Boss 2 setup. I have enough SBCs lying around so setting it up on a dedicated SBC is not an issue

I have a Nooelec SDR dongle and a HackRF clone with me but havent got time to set them up
I have heard mixed reviews on the hackrf clones. when you do try it, pls post your experience.

the cost for original vs clones makes a compelling argument if its just to paly around with..

It was an impulsive buy, I still dont know what I am going to do with it
I am planning to get this one. May be only the telescopic antenna would be of use though. cheaper than getting everything separately.

1667967351296.png
Another route I am thinking is a all-in-one DSP chip like Si4735-D60. These have I2C connection and can be controlled by RPi or Audrino. Not sure if DRM would work. Have to open up the new SONY ICF-19 I bought and check chip they have. It is a powerful radio - able to catch the waves that even my PLL radios miss.

Another route I am thinking is a all-in-one DSP chip like Si4735-D60. These have I2C connection and can be controlled by RPi or Audrino. Not sure if DRM would work. Have to open up the new SONY ICF-19 I bought and check chip they have. It is a powerful radio - able to catch the waves that even my PLL radios miss.
Found a distribution with software pre-installed here. The image works in my Rpi 4
Further research reveals that the DSP chips are of different "grades" the basic ones like Si4825-A10 are suitable for "mechanical tuning" with pots and volume control. The next level like Si4735-D60 can take I2C control with any micro controller with the suitable programme in it. Those used for SDR are the "highest" level of them with DRM capabilities.

So cannibalising a radio like SONY ICF-19 (below) will not work. But this is a superb radio in itself. Able to do some MW Dxing of AIR sitting in Abu Dhabi. FM reception is great. Sound is a kind of full - characteristic of SONY Radios.

1668325609399.png

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back