Suggest Speakers for my Stereo setup

swami69

I was content with what i had for a very long time and was drawn into so many other things that i did not seriously participated in anything on HifiVision. Apologies.

Now, i would like to buy a pair of Bookshelf speakers for my living room which will be paired with the following setup :
CA 340 CD Player/Iphone (bluetooth) -->Beresford DAC --->Dared SL2100 Preamp ---> NAD 355BEE ---? Speakers
I have a Mordaunt Short 302i sub to complement the lower frequencies as i chose to

So far i have been using my 10 year old Mission M32i which I now find not so good after accidentaly hearing some other speakers and hence the upgrade.
I also have a Fostex 103E based DIY Zigmahornett speakers as well and i keep shifting between Mission and this one just for a change.

My budget is not more than 20K

I have started youtube listening for some speakers in this range.... no audition as yet
Boston Acoustics A25 or A26
Q Acoustics 3020 & Concept 20 (not in this range though)
Wharfadale 220
Polk Audio S20
Dali Zensor 3 - may be not in the range again

I need clean & crisp sounding speakers with filling sound/body which should not make me tired listening to them. Bass is not an important criteria as I will use the Sub as required.

My Listening area size is 12 x 12 with wall behind and in front. Right side is french glass doors and Right side open to the Dining and Foyer area

Can you guys suggest a good pair in this range. Thanks.

BTW, I am from Chennai and suggest some good Dealers as well or Hifimart is the place to go ??

Swami

I am also looking for Bookshelf speakers in same range. Somewhat similar taste. But not planning to add Sub

Will be auditioning

Polk Audio S20/S15
Sonodyne 1501 v3 or 3260
Boston Acoustics CS26 II (not sure)

I will update here accordingly.
Please put your audition update if you do it first.

Thanks

There are quite a few destinations in Chennai, but at sub 20k budget, it might be difficult.
You can try Volumate, Cressida AV Zone, Audio People, Cinema Focus, Decibel, Vipul Audio to name a few.

Do call them and find if they have any offerings in your budget.

See if you can get to audition Sonodyne, Wharfedale, Boston Acoustics, Elacs, Polks in Chennai as these have models in your budget. You can also give a listen to Torvin and Craftel that are made in Chennai.
Taga Harmony is also talked about a lot in the forum. So you can try and audition that too as I think there is a dealer in Chennai for it.

I was content with what i had for a very long time and was drawn into so many other things that i did not seriously participated in anything on HifiVision. Apologies.

Now, i would like to buy a pair of Bookshelf speakers for my living room which will be paired with the following setup :
CA 340 CD Player/Iphone (bluetooth) -->Beresford DAC --->Dared SL2100 Preamp ---> NAD 355BEE ---? Speakers
I have a Mordaunt Short 302i sub to complement the lower frequencies as i chose to

So far i have been using my 10 year old Mission M32i which I now find not so good after accidentaly hearing some other speakers and hence the upgrade.
I also have a Fostex 103E based DIY Zigmahornett speakers as well and i keep shifting between Mission and this one just for a change.

My budget is not more than 20K

I have started youtube listening for some speakers in this range.... no audition as yet
Boston Acoustics A25 or A26
Q Acoustics 3020 & Concept 20 (not in this range though)
Wharfadale 220
Polk Audio S20
Dali Zensor 3 - may be not in the range again

I need clean & crisp sounding speakers with filling sound/body which should not make me tired listening to them. Bass is not an important criteria as I will use the Sub as required.

My Listening area size is 12 x 12 with wall behind and in front. Right side is french glass doors and Right side open to the Dining and Foyer area

Can you guys suggest a good pair in this range. Thanks.

BTW, I am from Chennai and suggest some good Dealers as well or Hifimart is the place to go ??

Swami
I am also looking for Bookshelf speakers in same range. Somewhat similar taste. But not planning to add Sub

Will be auditioning

Polk Audio S20/S15
Sonodyne 1501 v3 or 3260
Boston Acoustics CS26 II (not sure)

I will update here accordingly.
Please put your audition update if you do it first.

Thanks

If both of you are open to preowned, then options available in for sale threads, have a look.
Also pre owned Boston A25 & Wharfedale Diamond 121 are available for 9k & 12k respectively.

If both of you are open to preowned, then options available in for sale threads, have a look.
Also pre owned Boston A25 & Wharfedale Diamond 121 are available for 9k & 12k respectively.
Thanks and I am open to Pre-owned, absolutely. Let me search through the posts there as well.
BTW, I am hearing a lot of good things about NHT Superone 2.0, I do not know how much it would cost, but want to check it out as well. I casually listened to that when i was buying my Marantz AVR recently and it was playing an old 90s Hindi song and it rendered it beautifully. Very musical. I did not check the price then.

Thanks to all others for their guidance. That suggestion from VSTEREO on the Eight Audio Pearl,looks promising as well. Thank you.

Swami

My vote would be to this. Comes with popular SB Acoustics drivers and with quality Crossover components; for 12x12 should be a good match.
Looks really interesting.
But the frequency response curve 'without smoothing' shown on the website looks quite ambitious

Thanks for the link. Have you heard these? Would love to get some first hand feedback on them.
Not exactly this model but have spent quite good time with SB Acoustics Satori and they are very good. I would recommend a sturdy stands for these to get the max out of them. Do listen to them and you wont regret.

Guys, the above link of that Eight Audio Pearl bookshelves - I just inquired with them and the cost mentioned in their website is for one piece :( and without taxes. So, for a pair it is Rs. 42480. Not in my range..... Just thought of informing here.

Swami

Guys, the above link of that Eight Audio Pearl bookshelves - I just inquired with them and the cost mentioned in their website is for one piece :( and without taxes. So, for a pair it is Rs. 42480. Not in my range..... Just thought of informing here.

Swami

Thanks Swami. I also disappointed.

Swami
Thanks for sharing the information. I was also thinking the same as the components & teak wood cabinetry are expensive.

Thanks for sharing the information. I was also thinking the same as the components & teak wood cabinetry are expensive.
Same set of drivers are available in MDF enclosure with less price tag but it would be little over 20k. Would suggest to audition and decide if it is worth to invest for the asking price (which would be little costlier than 20k).

Anybody has first hand experience with Polk Audio Signature 15 or Sonodyne 1501 v3 or sonodyne 3260 as Stereo speakers ?

Back