Suggest Surround L&R to replace Polk Fxi A4 bipoles

ankitbhargava

I have been using Polk Fix A4 as my Surrounds and Rear Surrounds in bipole mode.
The surround L&R are mounted on wall about 3 feet higher that MLP ear level and about 9 feet away. My Room dimension is 20 X 18
They are now being driven by Emotiva XPA5.

Before adding XPA 5, I was satisfied with the diffused kind of effects from these bipole surrounds but now instead of Bipoles this time I want to go for something directional so may be suitable bookshelves mounted on brackets like Klipsch (not sure of what would be suitable) or already angled like SVS Prime Elevation. Specially now when I have in-ceiling atmos channels as well, I could take that risk of going directional sound for surrounds without overpowering rear sound stage as against fronts.

Please share your suggestions considering that I can not change positioning of surround L & R, front LCR are Klipsch and these surrounds are going to be 9 feet away from MLP

Just to mention, the problem with my existing surrounds is either they are too diffused or too silent to give effect of the scenes when surrounds need to be engaged more heavily.

Last edited:
Did a quick experiment
disconnected LCR and kept surrounds connected, ran a couple of Dolby trailers and pieces, did A/B with bookshelves (unused wharfdale) and the existing Polk Fxi ... realised that Fxi are still sounding better but the output is too low to make an impactful rear sound stage. Shall test with Klipsch RS52 as surround LR in next 3 days as they are more louder and capable.

Did a quick experiment
disconnected LCR and kept surrounds connected, ran a couple of Dolby trailers and pieces, did A/B with bookshelves (unused wharfdale) and the existing Polk Fxi ... realised that Fxi are still sounding better but the output is too low to make an impactful rear sound stage. Shall test with Klipsch RS52 as surround LR in next 3 days as they are more louder and capable.

I have the Polk FXi A4s as my surrounds. I find them really good.

My personal view is that the sort of diffuse sound they provide is actually suitable for surround sounds in a typical movie track.

Curious to know how it sounds if you replace them with more directional speakers.
Do keep us updated.

If you want something that is more directional, and can be wall mounted, why not consider :
- the Q Acoustics 3010i (wall bracket is also available), or
- the Polk RTi A1 (keyhole wall mount built in)

My personal view is that the sort of diffuse sound they provide is actually suitable for surround sounds in a typical movie track.

Curious to know how it sounds if you replace them with more directional speakers.
Do keep us updated.

If you want something that is more directional, and can be wall mounted, why not consider :
RS 52 are bipole too :)
I will check if getting louder and better bipole surrounds would resolve the issue I was facing. Shall keep posted

Do keep us updated.

Received the Klipsch RS52 (almost a decade old) today, installed and plugged in.
The difference is more than perceivable immediately.

First of all I immediately had to shed 4db down on AVR for klipsch surrounds to level match other speakers, this should give some more headroom to surrounds when needed.

I disconnected fronts and center and played some scenes I always go to, the rear sound stage was way more immersive and audible (all dynamics playing at much better level). I connected all the speakers and again played the Atmos trailers, the rear and front sound stage is better balanced without pumping in more db into surrounds after calibration. The sounds which were weak and were going unnoticed earlier inbthe scenes I know by heart were more prominent. These Klipsch surrounds are not only powerful but also more capable.

I would stick with bipoles and happy with this upgrade specially given the fact that they are being driven by Emotiva XPA5 and for Polks it was probably an overkill.

Received the Klipsch RS52 (almost a decade old) today, installed and plugged in.
The difference is more than perceivable immediately.

First of all I immediately had to shed 4db down on AVR for klipsch surrounds to level match other speakers, this should give some more headroom to surrounds when needed.

I disconnected fronts and center and played some scenes I always go to, the rear sound stage was way more immersive and audible (all dynamics playing at much better level). I connected all the speakers and again played the Atmos trailers, the rear and front sound stage is better balanced without pumping in more db into surrounds after calibration. The sounds which were weak and were going unnoticed earlier inbthe scenes I know by heart were more prominent. These Klipsch surrounds are not only powerful but also more capable.

I would stick with bipoles and happy with this upgrade specially given the fact that they are being driven by Emotiva XPA5 and for Polks it was probably an overkill.

Thanks. Thats really intriguing.

How much did you get the Klipsch for, if you dont mind sharing ?

Thanks. Thats really intriguing.

How much did you get the Klipsch for, if you dont mind sharing ?
The equivalents (or upgrade) to these RS52 were RS502s which are currently about Rs. 99800
I paid approx Rs. 38000 for RS52 pair. The speakers are in very good shape. I may have paid more than the average market value but I considered that probably I should be good with them for at least next 2-3 years atleast.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back