Suggestion for a home setup

If it has the newer scalars/de-interlacers from Silicon Optix (Reon/Realta), ABT Technologies or Gennum, it might be a different story.

Dear Prasad

That was a bit overloaded for me, can you please search out some appropriate study material for me to understand the above...
i really would luv to know more...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

That was a bit overloaded for me, can you please search out some appropriate study material for me to understand the above...

One of the best resources for learning about video is:
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity - The DVD Benchmark

More useful stuff from the same site at:
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity - The Primers

As far as video processors are concerned, Faroudja is the one which really made the first break-through. They received an Emmy award for their technology about six-seven years ago. However, the main target was DVD processing. HDTV was not introduced then. And Faroudja got bought over by Sage, which got bought over by Genesis which is now bought over by ST Microelectronics. Over the course of the years they could not make serious advancements over the original technology.

Meanwhile, Silicon Optix, Anchor Bay Technologies (ABT) and Gennum were the other players in the video processor market. I remember reading somewhere that most of the engineers who developed the original Faroudja video processor chip have joined Silicon Optix. The processing requirements for HDTV are 4 or more times than SDTV. These required changes in the processor architecture. The above three were upto the job: Silicon Optix came out with Reon and Realta chips; ABT came out with their solutions (which are used in their very highly rated VP20/30/50 video processors and also the recent Oppo DV-983) and Gennum with their own video processors.

How do I know this? AV is my hobby and semiconductors is my job :)

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back