Suggestion for floorstanding speakers UNDER 60k.

Misson LX6 MKII or QA3050i?
While I was searching for a FS speaker for my stereo, I had auditioned almost all brands in the price range of 50 – 100K.
When I listened to LX6, first thing you will notice is a wide Sound stage and superb imaging with high detailing, especially in the mid-range.
IMHO none of the other speakers came close in terms of imaging. LX6 is simply a pleasure to listen to, the quality of the build is also very good.

I had owned QA 3051 (for HT) & Mission LX6 MKII at the same time and listened to both (side by side) in my room with the same AMP and to my liking, LX6 stood apart. Although 3050i and LX6 MKII are sold at the same price in UK, 3050 is on the higher side in India.

Overall, it will be difficult to get a high-quality FS speaker like LX-6 MKII at this price point.

Tc

While I was searching for a FS speaker for my stereo, I had auditioned almost all brands in the price range of 50 – 100K.
When I listened to LX6, first thing you will notice is a wide Sound stage and superb imaging with high detailing, especially in the mid-range.
IMHO none of the other speakers came close in terms of imaging. LX6 is simply a pleasure to listen to, the quality of the build is also very good.

I had owned QA 3051 (for HT) & Mission LX6 MKII at the same time and listened to both (side by side) in my room with the same AMP and to my liking, LX6 stood apart. Although 3050i and LX6 MKII are sold at the same price in UK, 3050 is on the higher side in India.

Overall, it will be difficult to get a high-quality FS speaker like LX-6 MKII at this price point.

Tc
Thank you. Well explained

Very well said.

Compared to 3050i, LX6 MK2 sounds a bit fuller, cleaner too. 3050i has bass, lots of bass but lacks that crispness and mids too. It can get boomy if not placed properly.

Do audition both of them, also add PSB Alpha T20 in the mix, but they are tadd small in size.

Went for qa3050i. Will update my xperience

Edit:
Its been one month i have been listening to QA3050i. I am driving this with my old 2013 pioneer vsx323k, connected with amazon basic 14aug. I will say I am not enjoying music(mostly amazon music and spotify with firestick). Bass is not at all well defined. Its muddy. Bass is frustrating as i am not able to control it even plugging the sponge which comes with it. Highes are harsh at loud volume. But vocals are smooth. And soundstage is amazing. I dont know if this is due to my receiver.
I will say i enjoyed my old bs22 with sub better. Though it did it have that soundstage.

Suggestions are welcome to improve my music listening experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been one month i have been listening to QA3050i. I am driving this with my old 2013 pioneer vsx323k, connected with amazon basic 14aug. I will say I am not enjoying music(mostly amazon music and spotify with firestick). Bass is not at all well defined. Its muddy. Bass is frustrating as i am not able to control it even plugging the sponge which comes with it. Highes are harsh at loud volume. But vocals are smooth. And soundstage is amazing. I dont know if this is due to my receiver.
I will say i enjoyed my old bs22 with sub better. Though it did it have that soundstage.

Can you try playing some FLAC songs through USB ? hope you ran the calibration.
How far are the speakers from the walls ?
Which Amazon cable are you using? can you post a link.

It takes a while to get everything right, let them break in.

I have QA3050i paired with Marantz 6006 with and it sound really good. It is connected by XT 40 speaker cable. But it needs large space. I have it in 15 by 20ft room.
In your case it may be due to the receiver , speaker cable and room acoustics. Try different placements.
Did you audition the speaker before buying? If yes how was it there…

I have come to realise (at some cost and experimentation), that there is such a thing as matching amps and speakers.

I would not give up on the QA 3050i. I have both the 3030i and 3010i and both are lovely.

The unfortunate answer, might be that you need to buy an amp that makes these speakers sing. Maybe try out Marantz or Denon ?
Your receiver is 8 years old - a good excuse for an upgrade.. :)

And yes, before that, do try out suggestions from others :
- test with flac files
- try different positions
- change the crossover frequency for the sub in your receiver (maybe to 60hz) , so that base gets directed to your sub instead of your fronts.

Has the break-in completed? Asking because recently got the 3030i (with pm6007) and I can say it needs a solid 100 hours to open up. Initially it was like you have described - muddy, harsh. But now it has gotten better. I think you need to run it more and experiment with the position.

Can you try playing some FLAC songs through USB ? hope you ran the calibration.
How far are the speakers from the walls ?
Which Amazon cable are you using? can you post a link.

It takes a while to get everything right, let them break in.
My receiver dont have calibration option. FLACs are better if playing from my desktop. Still boomy bass. Speaker is more or less 16 inches away from wall.

Using this cable -https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-14-Gauge-Speaker-wire-feet/dp/B01D5H8XOY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=14+awg+speaker+cable&qid=1627071392&sprefix=14+aug+spea&sr=8-6

It should have been playd round about 80-90 hrs moderately

I have QA3050i paired with Marantz 6006 with and it sound really good. It is connected by XT 40 speaker cable. But it needs large space. I have it in 15 by 20ft room.
In your case it may be due to the receiver , speaker cable and room acoustics. Try different placements.
Did you audition the speaker before buying? If yes how was it there…
May be because because these speakers placed in 120sqft room. Soon it will be placed in a larger room. Its under construction.

The speakers were decent, not as good as concept 40(those were amazing). But not this much boomy. I did nt listen to dem in high volume there.

I have come to realise (at some cost and experimentation), that there is such a thing as matching amps and speakers.

I would not give up on the QA 3050i. I have both the 3030i and 3010i and both are lovely.

The unfortunate answer, might be that you need to buy an amp that makes these speakers sing. Maybe try out Marantz or Denon ?
Your receiver is 8 years old - a good excuse for an upgrade.. :)

And yes, before that, do try out suggestions from others :
- test with flac files
- try different positions
- change the crossover frequency for the sub in your receiver (maybe to 60hz) , so that base gets directed to your sub instead of your fronts.
He he. Well said. But this pioneer is not giving up. The center channel was almost dead few days back. But after attaching this speaker, miraculously center channel turned up. Soon I ll go for a better receiver or stereo amp. Accumulating budgets now. I did nt turn on my sub. Front set as large.

Change the cables to any pure copper cable. Amazon Basics is reported to be copper coated aluminum.
Maybe you would need a new amplifier as well.
I did nt know dis. Ok. I ll try replacing the cable with 2.5sqmm copper cable. Wiring is going on in my house currently.

Last edited:
FLACs are better if playing from my desktop. Still boomy bass. Speaker is more or less 16 inches away from wall.

Using this cable -https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-14-Gauge-Speaker-wire-feet/dp/B01D5H8XOY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=14+awg+speaker+cable&qid=1627071392&sprefix=14+aug+spea&sr=8-6

It should have been playd round about 80-90 hrs moderately

Sorry to say but these are not copper cables, they are copper coated.

Does speaker have enough room around it? I mean not in corner or so? Can you post pictures.

Check if you have tone controls changed on the AVR, try pure direct or direct. These speakers do have bass, one might even get away without a sub.

Sorry to say but these are not copper cables, they are copper coated.

Does speaker have enough room around it? I mean not in corner or so? Can you post pictures.

Check if you have tone controls changed on the AVR, try pure direct or direct. These speakers do have bass, one might even get away without a sub.
Yeah. I ll try changing the cable with 2.5sqmm copper cable.

No. Currently it is placed in a 120sqft room. Soon i ll place dem in larger room.

In my system Vocals become bad in direct/pure direct.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210703_141114.jpg
    MVIMG_20210703_141114.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 73

No. Currently it is placed in a 120sqft room. Soon i ll place dem in larger room.

Just what I thought, the right wall is causing all the boom. It is too close to the speaker. If you want try disconnecting the right speaker and test songs, it shouldn't sound boomy at all.
Speakers need air to breathe around them, too close to a walls and bass is all over.

He he. Well said. But this pioneer is not giving up. The center channel was almost dead few days back. But after attaching this speaker, miraculously center channel turned up. Soon I ll go for a better receiver or stereo amp. Accumulating budgets now. I did nt turn on my sub. Front set as large.

In my view, setting Fronts as large, in an AVR, always causes problems.

Try setting fronts to small and see how it sounds.

Fwiw have a look at the link below showing before/after pics of my setup which made all the difference.
Post in thread 'Showcase your audio/video setup here!......' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here.1167/post-916949

From my experience the 3050i needs plenty of breathing space. They should not be cornered or suffocated with stuff around them which will greatly diminish their true potential. I use tinned copper Belden 8477 speaker cable and am satisfied with the performance. Also as others have advised, you'd do well to upgrade to a good powerful stereo amp which will definitely make these towers sing.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back