Suggestion needed for Grafix cards

kpit

Hi,

My PC configuration is below:
P5GL-MX with Intel 915GL chipset inside is an all-in-one solution for LGA 775 Intel Pentium 4 CPU. It provides 800 MHz FSB, PCI Express architecture, Serial ATA interface, high performance integrated graphics engine, dual-channel DDR memory, 6-channel HD Audio CODEC and 10/100 LAN. It especially supports Intel EM64T and EIST technology, which provides you a 64-bit environment and an energy saving solution. P5GL-MX is the most rewarding 775 solution in 2005 with Intel 915GL chipset inside.

I want to add a grafix card to this.

I want it mainly to watch HD/BlueRay videos.

Looking forward your suggestions.

Regards
KPIT

Go for any of the 5xxx series from ATI. You can start with the 5450 and move upwards to 5560, 5770 etc. The higher you go the better it is.

You can also look at nVidia's DTS 450.

For a detailed list of the best cards, look at this site.

Cheers

hi,
buy ati 5830-rs 14000 or 5670-rs 6400 or 5450-rs 3600 .ati 5970 -rs 36000 ati 5870-20000 all depends on ur budget. go for zotac or xfx make.

...the newer Ati 6850 is cheaper at about 11K and is more efficient. than the 5xxx series. Though slightly lower performing, it should be adequate.

I want to opt for basic budget piece not more than Rs5000.
It looks like
ATI 5450 of price around Rs3000.
ATI 5570 of price around Rs4000.

will it serve the purpose of watching HD movies blue ray prints of .mkv files etc...?

i do not want to offend anyone but buddy you are running on pentium 4 you take a ati 5 series card and match it up with a p4 it will not be able to deliver what it should..and what it is made for. P4 might be just 533FSB and your board supports 800.. also ram might be 800 but everything will come down to 533..

i would suggest go for a 4 series card for 2.5k and get a dual core/core 2 duo for 3k ...

and both these matched will give you better overall performance .. not just video but pc usage as well..

my two words.

and yes you 915 will support dual core/core2 duo.

cheapest and best output..

^^ His post does not even suggest he needs a passthrough. He has a P4 and all he wants is to watch Bluray and every body jumps and starts suggesting 5xxx cards. Even a low end GPU can do the same effectively. The low end GPUs by todays standards are by all means pretty decent, given the price. Of all the posts I somewhat agree with @ironhource.

@kpit, this is what I say, if you in any probability, would be upgrading your system in recent times, you might as well go for 5xxx series card, as that will be a future proof investment. If all you want is basic Bluray playback capability and would stick to your current system (maybe just change the display) then you can go for even cheaper cards like XFX7600GT/8600gt/8800GT/or GS variant or find an ATI equivalent if you do not wanna stick to nVidia (for what ever reasons) these cards would not only give you a decent gaming performance but also are absolutely sufficient for a BR playback, plus they are dirt cheap ..... not more than 2000/3000. ofcourse as I said that is, if you wanna stick to your current config for say another couple of years and just want a decent movie experience. (and to some extent gaming as well)

PS :: BTW ATI HD 4870 supports DD True HD over HDMI, Subject to digital rights management limitations; with maximum supported audio stream bandwidth of 6.1 Mbps

Last edited:
Hi,

@Sams9, and ironhource -- Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Currently I do not have any plans to upgrade. And I do not want to spend more than 5000/- on Grafix card for my current system configuration.
can you please let me know on the price details of below:
XFX7600GT/8600gt/8800GT
and ATI HD 4870

Also I have another question - when I inquired about ATI4350 in BABA electronics Pune, they said that they have it with 1GBRAM. But I think there will not be much difference even if I go for ATI 4350 with 512MB.

Also let me know if you know any dealer in PUNE where I can get the best bargain for the grafix card.

^^ not sure about the current price, but they should not be more than 2000 at any cost ....... its the availability that matters here. 4870 might land up close to 4k. Finally 512mb will just do fine for a BR playback ...... no need for 1 GB ...

Where to get in Pune, well Pune people shoot with some guidance here ....

Last edited:
Agree with iron horse. Go for Core2Duo + ATI 4XXX series Graphics card. This will enable your PC for some light gaming too. Also Check whether your PSU has sufficient head room for the added load of a graphics card. Not much of a concern if your using a PCIE slot powered card like ATI 4350, but if you are using something like ATI5770, your PSU should be able to handle the load and have the PCI-E connector for supplying power to the graphics card.

I am also looking for a card to play Blu-ray rips and files from my Sony HD-Cam @ 1920x1080p on my computer with Gigabyte G31M-S2L motherboard.

Absolutely no gaming.

I am getting a card "Palit 8400gs 512mb ddr2" from a friend who is upgrading.

Can this card meet my requirements?

Regards,
MG.

I am also looking for a card to play Blu-ray rips and files from my Sony HD-Cam @ 1920x1080p on my computer with Gigabyte G31M-S2L motherboard.

Absolutely no gaming.

I am getting a card "Palit 8400gs 512mb ddr2" from a friend who is upgrading.

Can this card meet my requirements?

Regards,
MG.

8400GS is a the 1st of the series which claims to offload 100% to GPU for 1080p..
It will work fine but may stutter at high bit rates, you would still need a Dual Core atleast to get decent playback..
Is it a PCIe or PCI?
Palit cardss are generally huge in size, make sure it fits fine in your cabbi before u decide to pay..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back