Suggestion needed on HTIB(25K), ready to spend 10K more for music in near future

anoopdotk

Hi All,
I already have gone through many posts and even posted one new thread. Got many inputs from hifivision. Thanks to all.
Basically I wanted to buy an entry level Home theatre with a budget of 25K. I was initially considering HTS-590 from futurebazaar for 20K. Later I came to know that HTS-3105 is available with Onkyo Bangalore dealer for the same price and that too with a free Sony DVD player. Still I need to choose one among these, hoping I won't need one with powered sub for my not so big living room. But later I came to know from here that this setup may not be so good for music (yes, i want to listen to music also, maybe ghazals, fusion, hindi pop and regional). So got suggestion from another thread that I can use the Speaker Set B in the Onkyo receiver and use separate stereo speakers for music.
SO first I want to know whether the above HTIB models and idea of upgrading speakers for music will be OK? If yes with 10K budget which speaker set would be better option for me covering all frequency with good bass etc..the receiver is 130 W per channel with 6 OHMs
If no, please give other suggestions.
I am planning to buy by next month. Please help me considering I am a beginner, not an audiophile, though I would like to become one.

THe Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s cost about 11k a pair and are rated up to 100W (at 6 ohms). These would probably be a good option for you. You could also consider the Polk Audio Monitor 30s. They're about 10k a pair.

THe Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s cost about 11k a pair and are rated up to 100W (at 6 ohms). These would probably be a good option for you. You could also consider the Polk Audio Monitor 30s. They're about 10k a pair.

Thanks a lot psychotropic. I hope you recommend my current conclusion as a beginner, the HTIB + Speaker upgrade approach. Also I hope these speakers would be good enough even if I a buy a dedicated stereo music receiver in future. But one doubt here: both of these are 100W max. Won't that be a problem with the 130W amp with the Onkyo HTIBs I have mentioned? My assumption was we have to always go with a speaker with equal or more power rating and equal or more impedance. Is this wrong? Please forgive if I am asking senseless questions.

But one doubt here: both of these are 100W max. Won't that be a problem with the 130W amp with the Onkyo HTIBs I have mentioned? My assumption was we have to always go with a speaker with equal or more power rating and equal or more impedance. Is this wrong? Please forgive if I am asking senseless questions.

Anoop, this has been discussed many times in the Forum. Having a little extra power in the amp is not harmful. Generally, with a 100 watt amp, you will not cross what is called the 11 'O' Clock position on the volume knob. This is roughly about 45% of the amp's capacity. Beyond this, your ears will start complaining even before the sounds starts getting distorted. As long as you don't drive the amp at full volume, you will not harm the speakers.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you Venkat.
Now I am gaining more and more confidence with my approach which I put towards the beginning of this thread. Thanks to all for bringing me up to that.
Any more suggestions? I have one more month.:)

Anoop,the model u have in ur mind is a worthy one,when it comes to movies even being in the entry level category.you can very well go ahead with the idea of getting a pair of good bookshelves and connecting them to the B terminal.
Make sure that u get the right ones.

Vj

Thanks VJ, thanks to all. I almost decided on buying Onkyo HTS-3105. Just need to get an audition when I am back home.

One final question here:
As per your suggestions I am planning to buy a pair of full range speakers for Music alone and will be connecting to the Speaker Set B terminal. The suggestions which I got from here are Wharfedale 9.1 or Polk Monitor 30. My question is: later I may be buying some stereo receiver for music purpose. It will be used in my own room, and so I am planning to shift these speakers from living room and connect to that "would be" stereo receiver , and do not want to buy extra speakers that time. How will those speakers perform then? Will those be good enough for Music without subwoofer. I am ready to slightly increase my speaker budget from 10K. Also right now I am in Japan, planned a general shopping journey this weekend to Tokyo. If I get a medium size and weight (5-6kg) pair for around $300 range I am ready to buy from here also. So any other suggestions? I think Onkyo and Denon give good choices here.

Anoop,
If you buy a good pair of bookshelves,say the diamonds,they always shine in any setup.so you don't need to worry about that.
Bass reproduction really depends on the speakers,if you take a floor stander for instance,they offer you range of speakers(high,mid and low).
Bass reproduction in the BS are comparatively lower when compared to the FS.
as they do not offer you thumping bass.
Pure stereo setup relies on just two speakers.
If the receiver offers you a LFE output,you can go for a sub to take over the bass reproduction job from the actual BS.
So go ahead and invest on a good pair of bookshelves with out worrying much on the bass front now.

Vj

Thanks VJ.
Any good speaker with above 100W and 6 OHM and good frequency range will work fine for me? Or should I have to worry about JEITA, peak etc?

Yup,
just take care of the Watts and the OHMs,all the rest are not a problem,as long as you don't drive the speakers mad.

Vj

mm,not sure of this one,but if u have a budget of 10 to 12k,u can very well go for the diamonds BS.
BTW did you audition the denon u mentioned?

Vj

mm,not sure of this one,but if u have a budget of 10 to 12k,u can very well go for the diamonds BS.
BTW did you audition the denon u mentioned?

Vj

No, just checking out sites. Wharfedale and Polk I could not find. Need to check out the shop this weekend and get audition of Denon and others.

Of course, VJ. But still I am confused. Whether I should buy from here or buying in India also would be OK. If I buy from here, the space and around 6-7kg weight it will take from my small baggage limits. I am confused on will that be worth.

You can decide that by justifying the cost,just compare the speaker cost here in India and there and then arrive at a conclusion.
If its cheap there and u also have 6 to 7 kg with u,you can very well buy there,you can always buy speakers abroad if its cheaper.
you need to be careful only with the amp,regarding its wattage and other such things.

Vj

Thanks VJ, I auditioned Denon M-37 speaker (5400 Rs) with the Hi-Fi CD receiver (CD, mp3, Tuner, USB port, around 14K Rs, but 110V) of the same series. It sounded too good for me. Tried the same with one yamaha CD receiver also (15K Rs, 110-240V). Almost the same quality. Though the starting frequency is 45Hz, the speakers give good bass also. But I didn't buy it, one speaker alone 3.8kg, though small. So total around 8kg; I really doubt whether I can accomodate it in my Checkin limit of 25kg. Once I get an idea on my baggage weight, I will decide whether to or not.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back