Suggestion needed to buy a Full HD 3D Smart tv

srinuthe1

Hi
I am plaaning to buy a Full HD 3D Smart tv and i need your valuable suggestions.
I am much interested to watch Football and other sports,Bluray and 3D movies, playing Games, and streaming the flicks from internet(Smart feature not compulsory).

I expect excellent PQ, performance, 3D experience
My Budget is around 1lak and i am interested to go with Panasonic Plasma but unfortunately i cudn't find any Full HD 3D Smart tv Plasma tv in stores now.

So somehow narrowed down the below LED LCD models
Sony KDL46W950A
LG 47LA6910
Panasonic TH-L42ET60D
Samsung UA40F7500BRLXL(Streching my Price,but thinking twice)

The above filtering is jus to my knowledge and i do welcome any other models.

Final words:- I am just going to LED LCD with a heavy heart, but i love to live with Plasma.

Thanks in Advance
Srinuthe1

Last edited:
Srinuthe : There are 2 infos :

1. All the TV you are looking for is below 55 inch. But if you want to exp good 3d better to buy 55 inch. This is because, more the viewing distance with a smaller screen size, lesser will be the 3D experience. This is what I feel with my LG 3DTV.

2. Now there are 2 types of 3D, Active & Passive. LG is the only manufacturer in India which produces passive 3D. All are active, except if you opt for 4K TVs. So if you opt for passive, be happy with LG. And go the active 3D way, you have lots of options. Below is the comparison for active & passive :
Active 3D vs. passive 3D: What's better? - CNET

I recently bought the Sony KDL55W950A and I've got to say that it's one stunning TV set. Incredible black levels and brilliant colour reproduction. SD channels look great too. Just watched IMAX Under the Sea 3D and I was totally blown away by the stunning visuals.

I'm a big football buff as well and I can assure you that football matches look great on this TV, even in SD. You just can't go wrong with this TV. Highly recommended.

Hi srinuthe1

Here are some links to get a better understanding of TVs...

LCD vs LED vs Plasma

LED vs LCD vs plasma TV - Which? Technology

Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? - CNET

CNET's guide to 3D TV: What you (still) need to know - CNET

Whats the Difference Between Active 3D and Passive 3D TVs? | eBay

Secondly most TVs of today last between 3-8 years and not longer like the old CRT TV models...so you need to ensure that you get a good value and performance for what you spend....

What you need to do is decide on the size, what features you require and connectivity options then go to an electronics store like Vijay Sales / Croma / Reliance Digital and do a side by side comparision and see the performance. Depending on the features and performance, you need to shortlist the ones that appeals to you in performance and budget....

Not all brands offer a 3 year warranty and hence you need to decide wisely. For me the Toshiba works well in terms of value for money, warranty, performance and connectivity with good features....Select a brand / model which fulfils your requirements...the ugly truth is that there are a lot of brands today available who differ with some features or other...this is pure competition....as a consumer, you need to decide what's best...warranty plays an important role here....I have read reviews over the internet of consumers facing panel issues after a year or two.....

There are threads on HFV on Samsung / Sony which can give you some direction....You may want to consider the Sharp Quad series which has more better PQ than others.....

Hope this helps....

Thanks all for your responses and suggestions,
@snkadh, the problem i am having right now is viewing distance.. i jus have a viewing distance of 6-7 ft, which i a gr8 barrier to go for a tv with a bigger size, so i finally came up with 46' which is quite large wrt to viewing distance..
I knw tat i cud enjoy some best 3D exp with larger screen size..however i cannot avoid buying a 3D tv jus becoz of the viewing distance.. pls keep your views,suggestions and advices coming in..

Thnks in Adv
Srinuthe1

Srinuthe : There are 2 infos :

1. All the TV you are looking for is below 55 inch. But if you want to exp good 3d better to buy 55 inch. This is because, more the viewing distance with a smaller screen size, lesser will be the 3D experience. This is what I feel with my LG 3DTV.

2. Now there are 2 types of 3D, Active & Passive. LG is the only manufacturer in India which produces passive 3D. All are active, except if you opt for 4K TVs. So if you opt for passive, be happy with LG. And go the active 3D way, you have lots of options. Below is the comparison for active & passive :
Active 3D vs. passive 3D: What's better? - CNET

Sony R series TVs use passive 3d. They are made in China by contract manufacturer and not by Sony. They are cheaper than other Sony TVs but are inferior quality than other Sony Series TVs.

i have 46inch w950a it has stuning display and excellent 3d, if u can go for 55inch of the same model

If I were to give you the BEST tv's in order of pref looking at overall picture quality.

1. Samsung 64F8500 - the ONLY bright plasma with reference level pic quality
2. Samsung 55F8000
3. Sony W950A
4. Samsung F7500

Please demo all the tv's you are interested in and then decide. ALso remember to demo HD as well as SD content.

Last edited:
@Aakashr, really thanks for your great suggestion.
But unfortunately, my budget is jus below 1 lakh.
it wud really great if you share the order of preference wrt PQ, price and performance for the tv's below 1 lakh.

Thanks
Srinuthe1

@Aakashr, really thanks for your great suggestion.
But unfortunately, my budget is jus below 1 lakh.
it wud really great if you share the order of preference wrt PQ, price and performance for the tv's below 1 lakh.

Thanks
Srinuthe1

not sure of prices, but you can look at lower screen sizes within the same series.

Hi all,
Yesterday, i walked down my nearest Sony Center and had a demo of Sony KDL46w950A, KDL40w900A. I observed 900A leads the PQ and black levels compared to 950A(pls correct me if i am wrong). can u pls differentiate between the two. which is better according to my requirements. wen asked abt the specifications and features from the person who demo me his replies were

1 better PQ in 900a than 950a
2 good 3D depth in 900a than 950a
3 probable issues with board both in 900a and 950a
4 both 900a and 950a are better than Sammy,LG in all respects

I was quite shocked to hear about the statement he gave on board issues and also stated that Sony has lost the quality of products since 2010

Can anyone elaborate the same about the Sony issues
are the statements really true..?

Last edited:
Its been a week i have posted my questions in the last thread and got no replies to that.
Sony led tv users and owners can comment on this thread and i am much more anticipated to see the replies on Sony W9 series and its issues,if any

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back