Suggestion on Dali Ikon 6 MK2 and MA BX 5

S.P.KRISHNA

I am in search of good floor standers for music listening. My current amplifier is CA 650A. I had auditioned DALI IKON 6 MK2 and DALI ZENSOR 7. Ikon 6 beats Zensor in Highs & Mids and vice versa. I am also considering MA BX 5 & BX 6 though I did not auditioned them. Cost wise IKON 6 MK2 is very high. Did anyone had compared the MA BX 5 / 6 and Dali 6 MK2 . Any other brand in the range 65 K matching IKON 6 ?

Regards

Why not give BS speakers a chance??? Listen to some & then decide regarding purchase of FS.

:)

Dealer here at my place do not have the IKON BS. On the contrary the ikon 6 has a reasonable and good bass . But I will consider your suggestion. How about MA siver RX2.

Regards

spk,

if BS.. there is 1 pair of MA GS10 for about 75k..these are bookshelves. This is available with Imperial audio in Mumbai or Blasto may be able to help is stocks avbl. But audition first..

:))

mpw

spk,

if BS.. there is 1 pair of MA GS10 for about 75k..these are bookshelves. This is available with Imperial audio in Mumbai or Blasto may be able to help is stocks avbl. But audition first..

:))

mpw

I would suggest following mpw's advice. The GS10 are two notches higher in overall sound quality and reproduction given it's original priceband compared to the dali ikon 6 or BX5. The QUANTITY of sound will not be as much as the ikon6 or BX5 but the QUALITY of sound will be considerably better hands down.

cor,

i am glad you are liking the jamo BS. The bookshelves have a level of sound thats better that many FS in the 1 lac to 1.5 lac range. Atleast thats my experience. Mainly the crossover in 2.5 way is confusing.

This is OT.. sorry spk.. i wish you luck.

Give the BS a good chance. There will be pre owned bookshelves in this price range.. some really nice ones.. just dig around a bit and be patient ( to some extent )

regards,
mpw

Dealer here at my place do not have the IKON BS. On the contrary the ikon 6 has a reasonable and good bass . But I will consider your suggestion. How about MA Silver RX2.

Regards

Not suggesting that Dali Speakers are not having adequate bass & that was not even my reason for recommending BS speakers. Have heard the RX2's recently & yes they are not bad, BUT if you listen to the GS/GX series of Monitor audio, you will forget the RX series ASAP :lol:

Also, you will be surprised to know that once you've landed a good set of BS speakers, you will be happy with them for a longer time than the pair of FS speakers that you will purchase. Just my 2 Rs.
Pls be patient & demo both BS & FS Speakers with your Amp & you will realise what I'm saying.

Best Wishes

:)

cor,

i am glad you are liking the jamo BS. The bookshelves have a level of sound thats better that many FS in the 1 lac to 1.5 lac range. Atleast thats my experience. Mainly the crossover in 2.5 way is confusing.

This is OT.. sorry spk.. i wish you luck.

Give the BS a good chance. There will be pre owned bookshelves in this price range.. some really nice ones.. just dig around a bit and be patient ( to some extent )

regards,
mpw

Agreed,

@OP, on the note of preowned bookshelves check out this usher be718 for 65 on another forum aswell if it appeals.
http://www.theaudiophile.net/threads/942-Usher-BE718-Speakers

They're from the 1.5 Lakh priceband.

Last edited:
MPW & Denom,
MA GS & GX series are really good in both BS and floor standers. But MA now had their factory at china , hence made in china. But Dali still are made in Denmark. Country of make may effect the quality of MA.

Regards

not too sure of that spk.. just let your ears be the judge..dont go by country of manufacture.. just like we dont judge a book by its cover. these days everything is made in china ( almost ).

I auditioned the dalis.. the sound signature is such that not all will like it. Maybe you will but many wont.. its dry and needs really good amp to shine ( IMO ).

The Rx6 - i think is overhyped.. maybe it did not jell with my NAD too well but check it with your amp.. this is quoted arong the same price as the Dali Ikon 6.

MA BX5 - i heard this long time back.. liked it.. good value but i will take the RX2 over the BX5 anyday..

But.. dont let budget cap you.. thats where the pre-owned market comes into the equation.

For example.. there are usher be718 ( i am told really good speakers ) avbl at 65k.

Sidvee - has the Dynaudio Focus 110 - maybe well worth an audition for you since he is in the same city as you.

rgds,
mpw

MA BX5 - i heard this long time back.. liked it.. good value but i will take the RX2 over the BX5 anyday..

rgds,
mpw

RX 5 here is being quoted at 87k with the discount / MRP 95K. BX 5 AT 57K with discount. Dalis was offerred a good discount around 10 - 15% with its MRP at 90k. RX 2 - I have to enquire. Both RX5 & BX 5 are award winners with What HI FI though What HI FI veers towards British products. BX 5 is reviewd by some that it cannot hold the high frequencies with out distortion and prolonged hearing will be taxing the ears. Hence I am a bit hesitant though they are well within my budget.

Regards

S.P.Krishna,

Agree with what mpw has written about in post no.12
Suggest you listen to all with your amp & make a decision based on what you liked synergy wise with your amp & whether your pocket is comfortable wrt price. Leave the rest of the points you have mentioned (country of manufacture/reviews of publications)

Rgds

I was restrained by the people of vectors from purchasing DALI IKON 6 for the past few days as they suggested me to take a decision after hearing the HECO SPEAKERS. They have received them today and I am just returning from an audition . The speakers are Dali IKon 6 MK2 and HECO VICTA 701, their entry level tower and which is a three way. The Amp is Marantz 7004 and the source is Marantz 5004. The price of dali Ikon 6 is 90k MRP and that of HECO 701 is 42K. DALI STOOD NOWHERE NEAR THE HECO. Heco 701 , the entry level speaker, had excellent Highs, Mids . A slight difference between the two are Ikon is a shade better in the lows. Other wise , my god, a speaker of Half of its price, had totally out powered the dalis in all departments. Tomorrow I am going to audition their second level series Metas 701 and 501 which are 82k and 102k and will be taking a decision between Victa & Metas. I do not know the reason why these german speakers do not have the publicity.

That's a great discovery Krishna. Forget hearing a HECO, I am hearing the word HECO for the first time :lol:

If these speakers are what you are describing, why only Dali, they will blow PSB, KEF, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, Mordaunt Short, Klipsch, JBL, Jamo all of them out of water. Afterall if a 42k speaker can outgun a Dali twice it's price, then it must be something.

Hope you get them fast and post your full review soon.

whatever rocks your boat spk..

hope you are taking your amp ( unless its a marantz ) to the audition

mpw

That's a great discovery Krishna. Forget hearing a HECO, I am hearing the word HECO for the first time :lol:

If these speakers are what you are describing, why only Dali, they will blow PSB, KEF, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, Mordaunt Short, Klipsch, JBL, Jamo all of them out of water. Afterall if a 42k speaker can outgun a Dali twice it's price, then it must be something.

The dali ikon is not a very high end series, just so you know, they're just grossly overpriced in India. A friend picked up a dali ikon 6 in the us for 50k. That's their true priceband. I don't know what heco's true priceband is. However I would not be so quick to judge. "the entry level speaker, had excellent Highs, Mids" is a very general statement and varies dramatically person to person. Also 1 speaker cannot blow an entire brands offering away. Maybe certain product lines but not all.

I had compared them with Ikon 6 as I am interested in them only. I cannot say for others. You can audition them at your place. Vectors are the ditributors of them.

Specifications of HECO VICTA 701 : 3 Way bass reflex, Rear ported, 2 * 6.5" woofer, 6.5" Midrange, 1" Tweeter, Frequency response -26Hz to 38000Hz, sensitivity 91 db.
Specification of Metas XT 501 : 2.5 way Bass reflex, Rear ported, 6.5" each bass and midrange driver , 1" Tweeter, Fr. response 26Hz to 42000Hz, sensetivity 91db. Tomorrow I am auditioning this speaker.

The dali ikon is not a very high end series, just so you know, they're just grossly overpriced in India. A friend picked up a dali ikon 6 in the us for 50k. That's their true priceband.

I am glad to know the ability to judge a speaker's price band lies with you.

As per what I know, everyone (hifi gurus/users/reviewers) at least placed them way ahead of entry level stuff. Stereophile said "best speakers" under USD 2000. Of course you are not expecting to refer to a sub US$2000 speaker as "very high end series", are you?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back