suggestions for a canon camera from 20 north

Avani

I want to buy a canon camera with high power zoom. I have a couple of options-
power shot D10 or SX130 IS, my budget is somewhat around 15k -18k. little confusion between both, SX130 IS is new launch and has a long zoom with manual controls and D10 has optical zoom lens.
please suggest the better option
I explore lot of sites like e-bay and found 20north.com comparatively cheaper. Price difference is of 5-6k.
should i go for it...........

Well please see the thread "projector issues" where a lot has been written about the onlines stores.

In-fact there are other threads also which are discussing about such stores.

V.

^ I also vouch for SX210IS.

Is much more compact that super zoom - whereas it has enough zoom to compete with super zooms, as well as be far superior to normal zooms.

Has good manual controls (if that is your thing).

Has decently backed Canon network in India (warranty or otherwise).

Compact size.

Sx130 is bulkier looking, lesser priced, and lesser zoom/featured modes. But its also good for what it is especially at that price.

D series is, I believe, underwater purpose - no point going for it unless you really want that.

Meanwhile you can also look at Panasonic Tz8 (or ZH3 or 5 in US) - similar to Canon sx210
And Sony H55.

All three are priced almost similar, have similar features, similar sized.

power shot D10 or SX130 IS, my budget is somewhat around 15k -18k. little confusion between both, SX130 IS is new launch and has a long zoom with manual controls and D10 has optical zoom lens.
I explore lot of sites like e-bay and found 20north.com comparatively cheaper. Price difference is of 5-6k.

Actually, Canon is the one camera company that has been pricing its cameras at almost the same rates in India as it is in the US price. to my knowledge, all other camera manufacturers sell at a much higher price differential in India.

If you buy your Canon camera in India, you will also avoid transport damage hassle, customs hassle, you get an Indian warranty, and you get much better official Canon support.

The SX130IS is showing up as 15k in Canon India's website, which is in your budget.

FYI, I recently purchased the EOS1000D with kit lens for slightly less than 22k. It retails in Amazon for $500, which also converts to 22k.

Edit: Just want to add that you can consider this entry level DSLR as well, which is actually retailing for only slightly more than other (P&S) cameras.
DSLRs in general will offer dramatically better picture quality, accessories, and interchangeable lenses. The only reason why I would not want one is if I really wanted a super-compact pocket-sized camera. Most people end up spending this kind of money on super-zooms which are as bulky as DSLRs and for the same price but with much worse image quality and features.

Last edited:
Consider the Panasonic Lumix Fz40, Image quality is better than Canon SX20IS.

An entry level DSLR will give you much better quality than a Super Zoom. The only issue is you won't get the built in zoom lens and will have to spend (a lot) to add similar zoom to a DSLR.

If your photography is mostly daylight then go for a superzoom.

Consider the Panasonic Lumix Fz40, Image quality is better than Canon SX20IS.

An entry level DSLR will give you much better quality than a Super Zoom. The only issue is you won't get the built in zoom lens and will have to spend (a lot) to add similar zoom to a DSLR.

If your photography is mostly daylight then go for a superzoom.

Point taken about DSLR kit lens not having sufficient zoom - mine is 18-55 for example, while a superzoom would probably go much higher.

However, how many people actually end up using the zoom? For most usage scenarios that I personally can think of, a big zoom is not really mandatory, but I guess this is a personal thing.

Another thing that people ignore is that in a large zoom lens, the image quality is usually significantly worse when the zoom is maxed out. For example, the Panasonic Lumix FZ40 is F2.8 - 5.2, and the Canon SX20IS is F2.8-5.7 (max) - this means that at the far end of the zoom, the lens is letting in so little light that you can probably take decent pictures only if it is bright sunlight.

do we really need that zoom..

rather go fo entry level dslr canon eos1000d/ nikon d3000

else superzoom go for pana fz100/fz40 (24x), canon sx30is (35x), fuji hs-10 (30x),
pentax x-90, olympus sp-590uz/800uz (30x).

if point and shoot go for pana fz-100 for cmos sensor. for high range

else fz-40 ( fz40 still beats the fz-100) raw image format and high iso than canon or any other brand 1080i recording and 11fps at burst shooting and full manul control in recording mode..

do we really need that zoom again ( at max zoom u will need tripod as a shake on 1 mm can move you oject out of focus or blurry image)

image stabilization will work till a level.. u wud need a tripod at that zoom of 640 fz100/ 800 sx30is of focal length..

also as panasonic lumix have a bigger apertureu can focus better on ur object and get the blurry effect that get in a dslr..

for a entry level dslr .. get a nikon d3000 which comes with a 18-55 mm nikkor lens and that is way ahead of canon eos 1000d base kit..

also nikon supports raw format.. not sure bout canon..

if its a seasonal purchase buy nething u want.. but if this is the purchase for next cpl of years ..buy thats the best u can get for money.. spend a lil extra and ur photos will pop-out..

for zoom u can later add a telephoto lens to your dlsr..no need to change the camera..

Why 20North?? It comes to 19k in 20north.
Canon PowerShot SX210IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 14x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) < Digital Cameras < Camera Photo & Video < Electronics : Electronics - Shop in the US from India @ 20North

Whereas an ebay india sellers has listed it for 15.9k.
eBay India: CANON SUPERZOOM SX210 IS DIGITAL CAMERA 14 M PIXEL GOLD (item 110557242692 end time 05-Jan-2011 15:10:32 IST)

Did I post the wrong link for 20north? Anyways I cannot find it lesser than this. You need to note that 20north's display price is without including shipping and duty. In other words, displayed price is WRONG.

I have seen astonishing full-zoom pictures, posted online, from the Canon SX30IS. The poster had not given the details, so I enquired: yes, it was full zoom, and yes, it was hand-held!

It is almost beyond belief that an over-800mm (at the 35-mm camera equiv) lens could be hand-held at all, let alone to give a feather-sharp bird portrait ---- but I am forced to believe it!

My own preference (I have a Canon S2IS) is to go for Panasonic next time. Nearly did, in Singapore, last month, but bought something that fits the pocket, for my wife, instead.

People like me, members of the super-zoom market, are unlikely to go for a DSLR. We want the super-zoom facilities, without the need for both a large bank balance and a large gadget bag full of lenses. We know that we sacrifice some control and ultimate picture quality, but it is a fair price to pay. When we want to picture that bird, the only alternative is to have spent a lot more on DSLR plus lens --- and to take the time and trouble changing it.

So, I, for one, am not shifting to the DSLR market (although there is a lot about that real-camera feel that is very seductive) but I do agree about getting the best that can be afforded. It is much cheaper to buy one camera in five years than two!

+1 ..

THATS what i suggest go for a better one and keep it for longer duration.

point n shoot.. pana fz100 then canon sx30is then fuji hs-10

entry dslr.. nikon d3000 then canon eos 1000d

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back