Suggestions for buying a new LED TV!

Geetha

Hi,

Could any of you please give suggestions to buy a new LED TV:

Purpose:
1. Watch Cable TV (Airtel)! (99% of the time!)
2. Stream movies from my Laptop (DLNA/equivalent) (1% of the time!)

Budget: 2L

Other Requirements:
1. Best of the best PQ.
2. Prefer Sony and as latest as possible (2014/2013)
3. As bigger as I can get.
4. Built-in Wifi.
5. No interest in 3D/games/internet/..../....

Regards & Thanks in advance.

Hi

There are a bunch of TVs available today. Unfortunate truth is that most of today's TVs will last for 3-8 years and not like the old CRT TVs....so what is important is that you need to get a good value TV for what you spend with the required features and WARRANTY!

See these links below to understand the difference in TVs...

LCD vs LED vs Plasma

LED vs LCD vs plasma TV - Which? Technology

Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? - CNET

CNET's guide to 3D TV: What you (still) need to know - CNET

Whats the Difference Between Active 3D and Passive 3D TVs? | eBay

Next step for you is to go window shopping to your local electronic stores....Vijay Sales, E Zone / Reliance Digital / Croma and see the models of TVs side by side...decide on the size, the features you want...ensure you have the right amount of connectivity analog + HDMI..headphones...audio out...USB etc....shortlist those models and let us know....

If you are inclined to a SONY...the 700 series is a hit and there is an exclusive owners thread available on HFV.... a few brands in India offer 3 years warranty.....Sharp / Toshiba...

Decide the model and brand.....check the price with your local dealer...it should be cheaper than Vijay Sales...I did that and purchased my TV for almost 25% cheaper than MRP.

End of the day it is what appeals to you and your budget...hope this helps....

Dear Geetha,
What can we do? The makers keep introducing new models almost everyday. And almost new models are made history everyday as well.
The service guys of most TV makers, the moment the Warranty expires, will be likely to claim something serious is wrong with the TV like "Panel problem" or "Board problem" and say that the replacement would cost almost as much as a new TV and parts are not available now anyway, The company may then offer a discounted replacement and buyback of the old TV. They may even openly claim that the life of present-day electronic components is only 4-5 years.

Please avoid Korean and Chinese makers. Sony is Japanese and a little expensive but decent quality. See if there are any Indian makers. I am not aware of any. Even with Sony, it will be nice if the TV lasts a long time after all that investment.

Go in for more HDMI ports, USB ports and importantly, a Toslink output. This optic port will help you get Dolby Digital 7.1 and Dolby Pro-Logic IIx from files on your USB Jump drive and HD ready set top box.

However much you are tempted, don't buy bigger than 42" LED TV. It is sensible to stick to 32" if you have a normal sized room. If, you are confident of taking good care of your TV, then you may consider a bigger Plasma. But they are not that bright and have their own problems. Dont spend more on unnecessary features. Otherwise you are likely to cry after 4-5 years like me and many of my friends did since it does not make sense to keep changing your TV every 4 years especially a poor guy like me..

Happy shopping!!
Subcenter2009.

Last edited:
Hi,

Could any of you please give suggestions to buy a new LED TV:

Purpose:
1. Watch Cable TV (Airtel)! (99% of the time!)
2. Stream movies from my Laptop (DLNA/equivalent) (1% of the time!)

Budget: 2L

Other Requirements:
1. Best of the best PQ.
2. Prefer Sony and as latest as possible (2014/2013)
3. As bigger as I can get.
4. Built-in Wifi.
5. No interest in 3D/games/internet/..../....

Regards & Thanks in advance.

sony 42w700b is a good option.....or the newly released 48w600b if u want
a bigger size....but since u watch cable tv all the time i would suggest a smaller size like 42 inches because SD channels look better on a 42 inch than on the 48 inches....so i feel 42w700b is a very good option for you

here check out this link

KDL-42W700B : W700B Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

Being a videophile :) I can;t help but steer towards plasma. No doubt some LEDs are also good but when it comes to overall picture quality its hard to beat a top end plasma. Looking at your budget brings only one plasma to my mind.........Samsung 64F8500, one of the BEST tv's (plasma or otherwise) in the market right now. You can google the reviews and see how good it really is.

In LEDs the Samsung series 7,8,9 are good. In Sony I like the triluminos series. Can;t comment on sharp, have not seen them in person but the name says it all.

You haven't said your viewing distance.

If you prefer the Sony,you can look at 2013 model 55W950A or the 2014 50W800B both have really hight contrast with the W950A having the edge and also has the capability to show X.V color range if you play a remastered 4k Blu ray from Sony pictures studios.If you shoot in one of their new cameras or smartphones they also shoot in extended color gamut.

Do not mistake the 2013 W950A to 2014 W950B.The 2014 W950B has poor contrast.

Samsung F8500 beats all the sony/samsung LEDs in picture quality. The only LED that can match up is probably Samsung F8000. If your viewing room is extremely bright only then go for LED, else no tv to match Samsung F8500.

If looking at Sony, go with the PVA panels and not the new IPS panels. I think most of the new Sony 2014 LEDs have been now changed to IPS panels with passive 3D.

Also most LEDs are available in 55inches barring the F8000 which is also available in 65 inches but priced over 3L.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back