Suggestions for complete stereo setup under 60K

Miany

Hi Friends,

Room - Kind of small (10 * 10).

Source - USB drive and bluetooth. CD drive is NOT a must...So thinking of amplifiers that can take USB drive and support bluetooth connectivity; thereby avoiding an explicit "Source" box.

Amplifier - No specific brands in mind. Please suggest.

Speakers - Again nothing specific in mind.

Cables - Will go for entry level speaker cable.

Music will be primarily old film songs, a bit of indian classical, A R Rehman etc. Sound signature should be smooth and musical. Details and other audiophile parameters like soundstaging, imaging etc can take a back-seat.

Budget - 60K (Can be stretched by another 5-10K if needed).

Thanks,
Miany

Source - USB drive and bluetooth. CD drive is NOT a must...So thinking of amplifiers that can take USB drive and support bluetooth connectivity; thereby avoiding an explicit "Source" box.

Music will be primarily old film songs, a bit of indian classical, A R Rehman etc. Sound signature should be smooth and musical. Details and other audiophile parameters like soundstaging, imaging etc can take a back-seat.

Check out The Sixes from Klipsch Heritage Wireless series. If not available in your price range, try The Five version.

428b1749-3190-4664-9a45-e146a21cbadb.__CR0,24,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.png

Other options could be the less expensive Reference series range where you can find R-51PM and R-41PM models.

Check out The Sixes from Klipsch Heritage Wireless series. If not available in your price range, try The Five version.

428b1749-3190-4664-9a45-e146a21cbadb.__CR0,24,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.png

Other options could be the less expensive Reference series range where you can find R-51PM and R-41PM models.

Thanks for the response. The sixes are a real stretch for me. Dont want to spend that much. Also, too tempted to go for separate components. There is nothing like the sight of two speakers and an amplifier in between driving those :). Also, future upgrades are easier too....

...too tempted to go for separate components. There is nothing like the sight of two speakers and an amplifier in between driving those :)...

I hear you. Have you considered tubes? Now, that's the real temptation!
Good luck with the pursuit. Half the fun in this hobby is in the chase!;)

This is what I would build for myself

Speakers
Indiqaudio platinum Mishra Bookshelves or QA 3020i

MiBox 4k for streaming, with optionally a cheap/used monitor, it'll give you Chromecast built-in, Digital audio out to feed a DAC or even just a regular line out to feed an integrated amplifier, you can upgrade this separately from your Amp. it has both USB and optical out.

IFI Zen blue for Bluetooth streaming +DAC
OR
IFI Zen DAC, better DAC, no Bluetooth also no optical
OR
Topping E30, optical and USB both

You can use either an integrated amp with above in DAC mode or Power Amp with above in preamp mode (I haven't tried latter but I know it's possible?

Hi, I had similar req. I am planning for castle knight 2 with audiolab6000a. But castle knight 2 require more space. You can check for pre-owned gears too. For more details about the castle knight 2speakers, please check with @SachinChavan . He owns one and very happy with it.

Hi, I had similar req. I am planning for castle knight 2 with audiolab6000a. But castle knight 2 require more space. You can check for pre-owned gears too. For more details about the castle knight 2speakers, please check with @SachinChavan . He owns one and very happy with it.
@navjyot, thanks. But the OP is looking for amp + speakers under 60k. @Yogesh ’s recommendations could fit the budget better.

Hi Friends,

Amplifier - No specific brands in mind. Please suggest.

Speakers - Again nothing specific in mind.

Cables - Will go for entry level speaker cable.

Thanks,
Miany
For this room size and price point, you can consider Yamaha WXA-50 and Q Acoustics 3020i. I have the Yamaha in my office of a similar size. It's 55W Class D Icepower amp packs a punch and scales well with better speakers. Also it has MusicCast streaming (which sounds better than Chromecast as it supports hires streaming via Tidal, Spotify and other services), BT (no Aptx though, but you won't miss it as the streaming services any way sound better), Airplay and USB drive support. It's a great bargain, pairs well with the easy-going Q Acoustics bookshelves and you can buy both online for little over 60K.

I hear you. Have you considered tubes? Now, that's the real temptation!
Good luck with the pursuit. Half the fun in this hobby is in the chase!;)

No tubes. This is mainly for my parents to be kept in their room. The setup should be as simple as possible.

Yes. Castle Knight 2 is really good from what i hear. I too have that in mind. But what amp to pair with that? Audiolab 6000A is out of the budget. Also, what about the source?

For this room size and price point, you can consider Yamaha WXA-50 and Q Acoustics 3020i. I have the Yamaha in my office of a similar size. It's 55W Class D Icepower amp packs a punch and scales well with better speakers. Also it has MusicCast streaming (which sounds better than Chromecast as it supports hires streaming via Tidal, Spotify and other services), BT (no Aptx though, but you won't miss it as the streaming services any way sound better), Airplay and USB drive support. It's a great bargain, pairs well with the easy-going Q Acoustics bookshelves and you can buy both online for little over 60K.

Checked Yamaha WXA-50. it ticks all the right boxes except that it does not have a display to indicate the song/folder. Any idea on Marantz M-CR412? looks like a similar device. It has got a nice display too!

Checked Yamaha WXA-50. it ticks all the right boxes except that it does not have a display to indicate the song/folder. Any idea on Marantz M-CR412? looks like a similar device. It has got a nice display too!
I bought a Marantz CR610 in 2013. Still using it. Really good sound.

The CR412 is basically an updated 610 (includes bluetooth etc).

I would suggest that you go for it.

Add a pair of bookshelf speakers - Wharfedale or Q Acoustics. You will be really happy with the results.

I haven't heard this Marantz but I believe it shares internals with their entry level AV receivers. So it should sound decent. Also this Marantz does not have a streamer but has a display and CD player instead. I don't know if streaming capability is important for you. Most all-in-ones like these don't seem to have a display when they have app-based controls like the one in WXA-50 which I find more intuitive and user-friendly.

I haven't heard this Marantz but I believe it shares internals with their entry level AV receivers. So it should sound decent. Also this Marantz does not have a streamer but has a display and CD player instead. I don't know if streaming capability is important for you. Most all-in-ones like these don't seem to have a display when they have app-based controls like the one in WXA-50 which I find more intuitive and user-friendly.

My problem is that the system will be used by my parents and they dont want any app-based controls. Else WXA-50 would have been a no-brainer. Also, they dont want streaming.. only local playback from USB (primary device), then Bluetooth and occational CD playback.

I bought a Marantz CR610 in 2013. Still using it. Really good sound.

The CR412 is basically an updated 610 (includes bluetooth etc).

I would suggest that you go for it.

Add a pair of bookshelf speakers - Wharfedale or Q Acoustics. You will be really happy with the results.

Yes. Let me check its availability.

My problem is that the system will be used by my parents and they dont want any app-based controls. Else WXA-50 would have been a no-brainer. Also, they dont want streaming.. only local playback from USB (primary device), then Bluetooth and occational CD playback.
You’d know their situation better, but it’s usually more difficult to read the display from a typical hearing distance of 7-8 ft. You have to get up and go closer to read. If they use smartphone/tablet, it could be easier to read (and operate) off the app once they get used to it in a couple of days.

If I were to choose, I’d go with the Yamaha WXA 50 (Ticks all the right boxes) and for speakers I’d go with IndiqAudio Platinum Mishra or if I can stretch my Budget I’d go with the Gold Achal Towers and especially the towers are highly sensitive and efficient and does not need a powerful amplifier to drive them and has a good tonal characteristics too.
1st combination should cost you approximately 65k I think and if you are going for towers then may be add another 25k extra but then it’s worth that money.
WXA 50 from Yamaha is a good Streamer Amplifier and also has a sub out just in case you plan on adding a sealed or ported sub in the future to add a little more that low end.

Not sure if you can get home audition for Yamaha WXA50 but then IndiqAudio do offer a 15day return which gives you that opportunity to listen to it at your convenience and decide to keep it or return. But I am sure you would not return ;)

All the best!

Regards,
Som

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back