Suggestions for shelves in wall cavity

amit11

Hi Friends,

Currently I am keeping my amplifier and DAC on the floor. It is not kept in between the speakers but rather on the left hand side, in from the of the left speaker. I prefer empty space between speakers.

I have a wall cavity on the right hand side, just behind the right speaker. The cavity touches the corner. The cavity currently does not have any shelves etc.

I was thinking to move my amplifier and dac to the cavity to empty the floor and have a cleaner look and feel.

But I do not have much idea on how to best utilize the wall cavity. I suppose 2-3 shelves would be required at appropriate heights and appropriate size.

Depth = 13.5 Inch ; Width = 18 inch; Height = usual till curtain rod

Can you please provide some ideas on how to utilize that space. Whether any carpenter would be required or one can do it own. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Amit.

Make it into a 50-50 affair. 50% of the height from the bottom in high-quality marble, in maybe 3 marble shelves. The sides and rear of the cavity also lined with the same marble. The balance 50% till the top, get wood-work done, again with maybe 3 shelves with a single left-to-right opening door. Get the wood-work polished matching with a colour compatible to the rest of the furniture in the room. The marble area, you may keep open and plan to cover your equipment with cloth pieces, when not in use.

Marble types (polished only):
If White colour:
- Morwad - base, white with slight green streaks
- Makrana (if available) - pure white with black streaks
Other colour:
- Keshariyaji Green - base, green with dark green patches
- Ambaji Green - base, light green with light green patches

Just an update of what I did later for the shelves inside the wall cavity.

a) Since I had decided to move the amplifier, DAC, airport express etc from the floor to the wall cavity, i thought it was the time to make it happen.

b) I inquired on phone with glass shelf vendors etc. The searched some local carpenter and explained my requirement.

c) Instead of covering the full wall cavity, i presently decided for two shelves only. The bottom part remains as it is for some stuff kept covered with bedsheet.

d) I was slightly reluctant to go with glass shelves since for audio purpose glass is not preferred in the room. Also with heavy amplifier it did not feel allright even thought a glass shelf might support it. Over and above that the long brackets would be visible which might take away the look.

e) With the carpenter and some idea, now two shelves are fitted. :)
There are no brackets, no wooden line supportings at the bottom. Only the white shelves are visible. One one top is slightly rounded to give some elegant look and is slightly outside the cavity due to depth of the amplifier. Pic attached for reference.
Shelf made for single ply of 18 mm did not appeal me. The thinness would not give an elegance. Hence I asked to carpenter to make it thicker with 3 plys, hence the thick look.

f) Now the floor and room looks cleaner and airy. At night while listening keeping the tube lights off, the tiny lights of the amplifier and the Schhit DAC give a good look and feeling. :)

g) Later the next step would be to arrange the wires along the wall. Black wires to remove and replace with white wires.

h) Since the amplifier distance has increased, more speaker wire is now required...hence started to hunt, possibly a branded one this time.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back