Suggestions for shopping in Singapore Airport?

k11

Another thread on what to buy.
Holiday season comes in and itching to blow money on consumer electronics.

I might have a family member transiting through Singapore from US.
From US it is one bag, mostly clothes, shoes, bags, etc. Branded Apparel like Coach/Gucci/Armani/Boss/etc is very cheap in US.

From Singapore, we might have a chance to shop and buy stuff and check in an extra bag. Tablet is covered, Phone is not needed.

Already have a receiver, 5.1, Bluray player.

I am in market for a 32" TV, but might not make sense because of duties.
In market for small ready made HTPC like ASUS VivoPC, but that also can get locally or get latest model from US.

Thinking of
wifi-bluetooth speaker for bedroom like sonos,
wireless-bluetooth-NFC transmitter from tablet/phone to receiver,

So what are good electonic buys in Singapore.
Are Singapore prices significantly higher than Thailand.
Are there good shops in Airport with decent price and selection.
Also is there a weblink to electronic shops.

I have flown many times via Singapore. I did not find the shops in Changi airport any cheap. I suggest that you buy all electronics from US. Buying TV does not make sense now.

Maybe I was in the wrong terminal ...but I haven't seen anything over the normal sort of airport duty-free stuff. The electronics shop was nothing special, unless they just happened to have what you wanted.

I bought a nose-hair trimmer there! :lol:

Maybe I was in the wrong terminal ...but I haven't seen anything over the normal sort of airport duty-free stuff. The electronics shop was nothing special, unless they just happened to have what you wanted.

Nope. I did not find anything special either. The usual stuff - cameras, phones, tablets, laptops, headphones including noise canceling ones, etc.

Do airports anywhere have stuff other than the regular traveler sort? Prices are also higher than in the city whatever they claim regarding duty free.
Singapore airport, though wonderful is also no different.
I have tried to find shopping weblinks to several airports but never found any.
In any case, US would be far cheaper. At times I have found Singapore prices comparable with India!

I agree, US is much cheaper for electronics.
I have never been to Asian airports outside of China/HK/Japan. I hear all the stories from people getting stuff from Thailand/Dubai,etc. 220V is the biggest draw I suppose.

By the way, I can get all the 110v stuff I need from US. About 7 years ago, I used to work for a US based consumer electronic chain, used to be largest in the world, still think it is. I used to have access to info/pricing/availability for every single item, across all of their 1200+ stores across US and Canada. For some weird reason, I did not buy a lot of stuff when I was working.

Anyways I still get some very good deals from there, well below what most people fork out. Though shipping is not cheap and the fact that my older flat had some electrical problems, so 110v is a headache to maintain with transformers and all. My current flat is better. Nowadays I think prices in India are better.

For me, I like to get Apparel from US. You can get very good quality stuff at bargain prices. Fit is a issue, but most sizes are standard anyway, outside of some jeans it does work.

i agree with you, not find anything special either. The usual stuff - cameras, phones, tablets, laptops, headphones including noise canceling ones

i have found duty free airports to be pretty expensive now. you get better deals inland

I will stick to US, much better deals.

My headphone purchase is nearly done. No more expensive airport shops.
Ordered Soul by Ludacris for $55, still deliberating between this and Sennheiser HD 428 for $30.

Bought a Panasonic EW-BU04W BP Monitor for $40.
WD 40 spray for rust treatment for $6

Will ask my family member to shop for Blu rays during the Black Friday sale.
Get few discs for 4-6$ each.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back