Article in TOI- For the Record

mksharan

Here is the link to an article in Times of India -
FOR THE RECORD - Special Report - Sunday TOI - Home - The Times of India

FOR THE RECORD
Avijit Ghosh, Aug 8, 2010, 01.35am IST

Back in the 1970s, upper middle-class drawing-rooms in India were considered incomplete without a record player and a cache of albums to its side. That was a time songs couldn't be downloaded by pushing a button in a retail store or on a computer keyboard. Albums were like friends for every occasion. There was no greater joy than placing an LP gently on the turntable, watching the needle settle in the groove and letting the sound of music take over.

Then cassettes, CDs and MP3s came and colonized music stores. By the early 1990s, vinyl records had vanished from drawing-rooms and receded from public memory like a forgotten melody. Vinyl junkies would still scrounge around for their fix at curio and collectors' shops and chor bazaars'. But, like all outdated technology, the vinyl record seemed headed for a slow, painless death.

No longer. Taking its cue from global trends, the vinyl made from polyvinyl chloride, hence the name is being revived from its comatose state in India. From last October, EMI Music India has released more than 125 titles at retail outlets in Chennai, Bangalore, Kochi, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Gurgaon. Cities like Pune, Delhi and Kolkata are next on the list. The titles range from GenThen favourite Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and Eagles' "Hotel California", to GenNow's Arctic Monkeys ("Humbug") and Radiohead ("Pablo Honey"). More than 1,000 units are up for sale. "It feels good to have revived the format," says Anand Srinivasan, EMI's senior manager, international labels.

Music company Saregama is also exploring the market. "We are checking with stores on the demand for LPs and should have feedback in about a month, which will help us decide whether to press and import some," says its vice-president, Atul Churamani.

The vinyl's reappearance democratizes listeners' choice. But nostalgia doesn't come cheap. The new old' LPs start at Rs 695 and special four-LP sets are tagged at Rs 5,995. Freebies are thrown in as a lure. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" comes with posters and stickers, which are not available with the CD format. Music industry executives say prices are high because India does not have any record-pressing plant and the albums are imported. "But if sales go up, prices will come down," says Srinivasan.

Those in the business are optimistic. Mangesh Shinde, chief manager, Reliance TimeOut, says that retail response has been positive. Though vinyl occupies no more than six feet by 10 feet of space in their Gurgaon outlet, about 150 records have been sold in the past four months. "One music aficionado drives one-and-half hours from Kottayam to Kochi and buys 10 to 15 LP records each time," he says.

Global trends indicate the market has grown in the last five years. Nielsen SoundScan, a data information system that tracks sales of US music products, says 2.5 million vinyl records were sold in 2009, 33% more than in 2008 and more than any other year since the survey began in 1991. But this January, The New York Times put things in perspective by pointing out that "vinyl remains less than one per cent of the overall sales."

Nonetheless, there's a new buzz about vinyl in the west. Vinyl addicts say listening to music in the old analog format offers a more rounded, richer sound, rather than the clearer but soulless audio of the digitised mode. This has prompted record companies and musicians to woo this growing minority of vinyl-lovers. In 2008, Warner Brothers reissued Metallica's back catalogue only on vinyl. Churamani of Saregama adds, "We have released three LPs in Europe over the last couple of years via the licensing route. The latest is Charanjit Singh's "Ten Ragas To A Disco Beat", which has just come out about a month ago."

But music lovers like Chandan Mitra are not optimistic about vinyl. There's a huge market for the software, says Mitra, by which he means vinyl records of Hindi film classics and popular Western music of the 1950s and 60s. "But procuring hardware is a huge problem. Most have junked their old turntables. For those who still own one, maintenance is extremely difficult. I got mine repaired from Old Delhi but it conked out again after a fortnight. Besides, turntable needles aren't readily available," says Mitra, a newspaper editor and Rajya Sabha member.

That's a familiar complaint. Add to that a basic fact vinyl's rivals, such as CDs, MP3s and USB ports, are more convenient and can even be played while on the move.

Yet hope floats on the "hardware" front too with retail stores planning to sell turntables soon. "We have ordered turntables from Austria. The shipment is expected to arrive mid-August. In fact, we have already booked 10 orders in Bangalore," says Shinde. They will cost anywhere between Rs 19,500 and Rs 99,000.

So can vinyl make a comeback, especially when an entire generation has grown up enjoying free, if illegal, music without guilt? It won't be easy. For too long have the young defined music by easy availability and mobility. Press a phone or iPod button and Sonu Nigam comes alive. In comparison, records and turntables seem horribly prehistoric. Churamani agrees the demand will probably be "collector-centric or a fad for the younger generation". In other words, it will be sharply niche; something that would give the serious music lover something to brag about to his MP3-listening neighbour. For Srinivasan of EMI, the jury is still out. He is waiting for October to review the annual response.

But for those who liked the old LPs, there is once again the chance to enjoy music in a different way looking at album artwork, reading the back cover, rather than relegating music to a formless, digitised happening. For them, life is on song once again.

Yesterday I too saw the report. I was thrilled but I guess we need to wait and see if Gramophones will come back into the market.

I am more worried about the quality of the CD recording and the amount of titles available.

I have more hope towards the Blue ray success than the Gramophones.

This is kinda funny... Me and my friends usually get together once in a while to listen to music and shake a leg. We once got together to do it the old way - vinyls. We had guys bring in their old dusty collection from their attic. We called the event "For the Record". That evening we said no to digital, survived the whole evening just on foot tapping vinyls!
I had a budget player mated to a 15 year old Sony stereo but just hearing the vinyls come alive was just magical. It got me back to our kiddie days when Daddy would play the vinyl and hardly let me touch it!

Dear Friends

Pray for the best to happen in the world of vinyl.If this is the article to make our dreams come true, it is then, lets support for the reintroduction of vinyl.

Regards
srinivasan

I dropped my turntable plans because the stuff I listen to primarily does not exist on Vinyl in great pressings, not in abundance at least. Does anyone know if there exist a collectible series of quality pressings for Carnatic?

Even if the total quantity of collectibles comes to about 20 LPS, it will be worth it.

Cheers

There are dozens of Carnatic titles out there on EMI vinyl pressed during the 60s, 70s and 80s, and they sound great too. You just have to search them out in the flea markets, tho'.

Gobble, i used to have the cd version of Ramnad krishnan- music of south india which was the first carnatic LP to be recorded in US. Fabulous recording and it would be even more so on vinyl, i guess. Also listened to a Balamurali LP at a friend's place and it sounded great even with a modest setup . Lack of such recordings on LP holds me back from thinking about going for the vinyl setup apart from the cost factor.

I dropped my turntable plans because the stuff I listen to primarily does not exist on Vinyl in great pressings, not in abundance at least. Does anyone know if there exist a collectible series of quality pressings for Carnatic?

Even if the total quantity of collectibles comes to about 20 LPS, it will be worth it.

Cheers

Since the article in TOI , lot of water has flown under the bridge. The awareness about vinyl is growing at a very fast pace. I started collecting records about seven years ago. My friends used to laugh at me . They had a surprised look on their faces when I mention about turntables and records. Not any more. in fact, there is a chance that Vinyl could be the solution to CD piracy. I understand from a friend from the music industry, that the number of new CD releases have come down because of piracy. Vinyl could be the answer. Let all vinyl lovers hope vinyl will make a glorious comeback.kuruvilajacob

Since the article in TOI , lot of water has flown under the bridge. The awareness about vinyl is growing at a very fast pace. I started collecting records about seven years ago. My friends used to laugh at me . They had a surprised look on their faces when I mention about turntables and records. Not any more. in fact, there is a chance that Vinyl could be the solution to CD piracy. I understand from a friend from the music industry, that the number of new CD releases have come down because of piracy. Vinyl could be the answer. Let all vinyl lovers hope vinyl will make a glorious comeback.kuruvilajacob

How can vinyls be a solution to audio piracy. Pirates can, in fact, make better copies of vinyls onto CDs. A vinyl rip definitely sounds better than even an original HQ CD. In the 70s I remember seeing "pirated" LP records being sold at half the original price at places like Moore Market in Chennai.

Regds

we would also require to destroy all mp3 players and computers and then issue only vinyls so that piracy comes to an end. Cassette recorders also need to be destroyed.

Re: Article in TOI- For the Record - what a coinicidence!

by sheer coincidence......I suppose ....unless the TOI column writer is aware......there exists a shop in Singapore by the name "For The Record" !!!!.It is owned by a vinyl enthusiast Giree a Singaporean Tamil by origin. He has a 35,000+ collection of vinyls and some of the rarest of the rare ones! a regular ebay trader. But the most important fact is Giree's knowledge about the vinyl's - companies, lables, pressings, genuineness, origins and quality right from 1950's and the music bands, groups and artists etc. Can be termed as a vinyl's encyclo in Singapore.

Cheers, Kishor

Re: Article in TOI- For the Record - what a coinicidence!

by sheer coincidence......I suppose ....unless the TOI column writer is aware......there exists a shop in Singapore by the name "For The Record" !!!!.It is owned by a vinyl enthusiast Giree a Singaporean Tamil by origin. He has a 35,000+ collection of vinyls and some of the rarest of the rare ones! a regular ebay trader. But the most important fact is Giree's knowledge about the vinyl's - companies, lables, pressings, genuineness, origins and quality right from 1950's and the music bands, groups and artists etc. Can be termed as a vinyl's encyclo in Singapore.

Cheers, Kishor

Kishor, wishing i knew this before. i was in singapore only last month and would have loved to lay my hands on some great stuff

Here's an article from the NY Times, I think

ONE common trend in many Western countries, regardless of the health of their recorded-music markets, is clear: vinyl is back. Sales of LPs were up in both Britain and Germany last year. In America vinyl sales are running 39% above last years level (see chart). In Spain sales have risen from 16,000 in 2005 to 104,000 in 2010. That is an increase from a tiny base, but any rise in media sales in Spains ravaged market is noteworthy.

This is a second revival for vinyl. The first, in the late 1990s, was driven largely by dance music. Teenagers bought Technics turntables and dreamed of becoming disc jockeys in Ibiza. But being a DJ is difficult and involves lugging heavy crates. Many have now gone over to laptops and memory sticks.

These days the most fervent vinyl enthusiasts are mostly after rock music. Chris Muratore of Nielsen, a research firm, says a little over half the top-selling vinyl albums in America this year have been releases by indie bands such as Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes. Last years bestselling new vinyl album was The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. Most of the other records sold are reissues of classic albums. Those idiosyncratic baby-boomers who were persuaded to trade in their LPs for CDs 20 years ago are now being told to buy records once again.

What is going on? Oliver Goss of Record Pressing, a San Francisco vinyl factory, says it is a mixture of convenience and beauty. Many vinyl records come with codes for downloading the album from the internet, making them more convenient than CDs. And fans like having something large and heavy to hold in their hands. Some think that half the records sold are not actually played.

Vinyl has a distinction factor, too. It is just cooler than a download, explains Steve Redmond, a spokesman for Britains annual Record Store Day. People used to buy bootleg CDs and Japanese imports containing music that none of their friends could get hold of. Now that almost every track is available free on music-streaming services like Spotify or on a pirate website, music fans need something else to boast about. That limited-edition 12-inch in translucent blue vinyl will do nicely.

i would like the NY times article to be true but personally I feel that the 'Vinyl resurgence' is so minute that it cannot tip the balance for companies to produce in large volumes.

Yes, I have started getting into Vinyl for close to a year now and still moving up the chain to get quality setup in place. I am also enjoying the "process" as the music (sorting, cleaning, storage etc.) but my son does not even bother to look at them as much as I encourage him to sit and listen to Vinyl.

Couple of things that I think are not very helpful in the resurgence are:

1. Majority of retail outlets selling vinyl have closed down over the last couple of years - HMV, Virgin Mega store, Sam The Record Man.

2. Based on reading on this and many other forums, I can say that the purchase of new LPs is still very little as most of mine are used one (about 4/5 are new in my 250+ collection).

3. Wireless and hi-resolution music downloads are just dominating all over and will do so esp. with the Cloud framework.

4. The new Vinyl's quality (remasters) esp. in Classic Rock/Blues is bad compared to the originals. Eg., Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Jeff Beck are terrible. (I guess these are pressed from Digital sources).

Not he CD and SACD stories are even more horrendous!

i would like the NY times article to be true but personally I feel that the 'Vinyl resurgence' is so minute that it cannot tip the balance for companies to produce in large volumes.

Marsilians, as someone who worked in the music retail business for ten years, the report is true :)

[/QUOTE]Yes, I have started getting into Vinyl for close to a year now and still moving up the chain to get quality setup in place. I am also enjoying the "process" as the music (sorting, cleaning, storage etc.) but my son does not even bother to look at them as much as I encourage him to sit and listen to Vinyl. [/QUOTE]

Your son will get around to it. Don't worry.

Couple of things that I think are not very helpful in the resurgence are:

[/QUOTE]1. Majority of retail outlets selling vinyl have closed down over the last couple of years - HMV, Virgin Mega store, Sam The Record Man.[/QUOTE]

But there are plenty of other on line retailers. Hey, that's the way to go

[/QUOTE]2. Based on reading on this and many other forums, I can say that the purchase of new LPs is still very little as most of mine are used one (about 4/5 are new in my 250+ collection).[/QUOTE]

I've got about 10 new in my collection. No complaints there.

[/QUOTE]3. Wireless and hi-resolution music downloads are just dominating all over and will do so esp. with the Cloud framework. [/QUOTE]

What the music industry did not do was recognise and harness the power of technological advancement as they had done earlier with the MC, CD, SACD etc. They and we are paying the price for that.

[/QUOTE]4. The new Vinyl's quality (remasters) esp. in Classic Rock/Blues is bad compared to the originals. Eg., Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Jeff Beck are terrible. (I guess these are pressed from Digital sources). [/QUOTE]

Depends on where they are pressed. 180 grams is the way to go. Look for that on any LP you buy. The process of making LP records has also changed drastically. Maybe I will one day ask the former head of EMI in India to write a little piece that will explain the older and newer techniques.

Not he CD and SACD stories are even more horrendous![/QUOTE]

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back