Ridiculous Vinyl Pricing - India re-sellers

I disagree! If one uses ridiculously expensive equipment and media that's one's choice and poison. Doesn't extrapolate and apply to everyone else.
Depends on what you define as ridiculously expensive equipment. Lets take a look at a basic Bookshelf speaker from Wharfedale.

When the Diamond 9.1 launched, it was a sub 10000 speaker in 2009-2010. I remember gifting one to a friend getting into the hobby. In another 13 years, the current model is Diamond 12.1 and it costs 45000 a pair. That is a more than 4.5x increase in a 13 year period.

Would you classify the 12.1 as expensive? I certainly would considering the fact that 9.1 was a very affordable entry into the hobby not so long ago.

One thing I'd agree as a bonus though is the cost of music - Spotify/Youtube Music/Apple Music has democratized the cost of listening to your favorite music to almost nothing now compared to buying expensive CDs earlier.

I disagree! If one uses ridiculously expensive equipment and media that's one's choice and poison. Doesn't extrapolate and apply to everyone else.
Totally agree on that and the way forward is up to us. Prices of media stored content is going up ridiculously for whatever reasons.
Few years back , I use to buy blurays. But currently priced at approx Rs. 2000 or above , they are certainly not vfm for me and the bdp player is gathering dust and used occasionally for viewing the earlier purchased discs.
I would rather wait and watch on ott or some other way.
If I cannot change the current scenario then better to move to plan B & change myself to what suits me next.

...and realistically speaking, record and tape sales in India (either new or pre-used) are only restricted to a tiny demography. Digital still rules and is highly affordable if not free in most cases. We don't actually have to worry; India can still listen to the same music and thoroughly enjoy it :). In my times, listening to low-cost music meant, listening to a poorly recorded cassette tape on a small portable cassette recorder or tuning in using a portable or pocket radio. The modern world uses MP3s on phones with good headsets, apart from online streaming services and local FM. These sound far superior at little or no cost.

Being Christmas time, we have Christmas FM (from Ireland, one of the Christmas channels on Tunein) playing all day at home. The RJ keeps encouraging the listeners to tune in "on your stereo, on your car radio, on your bedside or kitchen radio, on your phone or on your bluetooth speaker". How times have changed :)

Last edited:
It's one of those images you can’t unsee…even though it does not change anything
1703221603091.jpeg

Last edited:
Trying to understand the logic - people are ok to pay 4000/- for a original bollywood pressing containing one movie with 8 songs. But the same person won't pay 400/- for 2 bollywood CD with 16 songs.

Trying to understand the logic - people are ok to pay 4000/- for an original bollywood pressing containing one movie with 8 songs. But the same person won't pay 400/- for 2 bollywood CD with 16 songs.
Same reason as some people will spend 20,000 for a bottle of rare liquor but not for…(fill in with your favourite obsession)

The same reason why people pay millions for a verified antique. There should be an (market inflated) intrinsic value that the item must have - real or imagined. Not to mention the confirmation bias that comes with my things we buy. A blind test might tell the truth, but in this case ignorance might be bliss :)

What ignorance would that be!? Do tell

The same reason why people pay millions for a verified antique. There should be an (market inflated) intrinsic value that the item must have - real or imagined. Not to mention the confirmation bias that comes with my things we buy. A blind test might tell the truth, but in this case ignorance might be bliss

Trying to understand the logic - people are ok to pay 4000/- for a original bollywood pressing containing one movie with 8 songs. But the same person won't pay 400/- for 2 bollywood CD with 16 songs.
unfortunately , Nowadays, I still can't find the CDs versions of those I'm looking for.

@mods May please close this thread for further response. The conversation is taking turn into argumentative territory.
It’s still civil and polite in tone. Opinions being shared, discussed and questioned. Censoring this at this stage would have a chilling effect on any discussions.

yes. I have both for many albums and the cd sucks for anything before 80s. most vinyls sound far better.
But the fact that some of the new vinyls suck , i might prefer the older cd to that.

I might or might not pay the 4K but the vinyl is superior and will only appreciate in value. in the end, price being high or low is an individuals perspective of how much they want it ( not of their economic position)

Last edited:

New vinyl, old vinyl is not the only criteria for a vinyl to sound better than its cd counter part. It's the industry practice of mastering for a format that matters most. For whatever reason vinyl gets the most professional mastering using uncompressed masters while cd gets pressed with what is commonly referred as compressed digital master. If a cd got the uncompressed master it would sound good too.

Don't be impulsive and judge... read this measurements made on a title i care deeply about- the lady on the balcony a fantastic covid album by Eric Clapton. Probably one of the most well recorded albums out there. See how is the dynamic range of vinyl vs cd vs streaming vs Bluray and understand how the mastering ends up favouring vinyl.

A
Depends on what you define as ridiculously expensive equipment. Lets take a look at a basic Bookshelf speaker from Wharfedale.

When the Diamond 9.1 launched, it was a sub 10000 speaker in 2009-2010. I remember gifting one to a friend getting into the hobby. In another 13 years, the current model is Diamond 12.1 and it costs 45000 a pair. That is a more than 4.5x increase in a 13 year period.

Would you classify the 12.1 as expensive? I certainly would considering the fact that 9.1 was a very affordable entry into the hobby not so long ago.

One thing I'd agree as a bonus though is the cost of music - Spotify/Youtube Music/Apple Music has democratized the cost of listening to your favorite music to almost nothing now compared to buying expensive CDs earlier.
a 4.5x over a 13-year period increase translates into an increase of 12% every year. Adjusted for rupee depreciation of about 5% every year, the effective increase will be about 7% every year. Once you factor customs duty, gst impact etc, the real effective increases will be about 4-5%. Now you can take a call if this is reasonable.

This is nice to read.

Never heard proper vinyl, what sound can one expect? Maybe one of these days I will try to hear one. I don't think much of my music is on vinyl though.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back