Ridiculous Vinyl Pricing - India re-sellers

saurabhpach

Hello FMs,

I don’t know if this has been experienced by me only or is it a general feeling that pricing of Hindi vinyl (especially of musicals) is just outrageous.

Over past 5 years vinyl format has seen an uptake in demand. As a result, the prices have generally gone up. I’ve been regularly buying vinyl from abroad, mostly English original releases or very early reissues. The prices of rock classics even today are reasonable.
But my experience on hindi vinyl especially from Indian resellers has been bad. If they sell cheap, it’s mostly falsely graded LPs; and otherwise they demand ridiculous prices.
Yesterday a gentleman on Facebook group asked me 20K each for Life in a metro and swades. I think that’s just taking gross advantage of the resurgence and leading to poor access.

Please feel free to pen your thoughts on this.

Thank you

Price of any commodity is what the buyer is willing to pay. There are and will be many buyers at those ridiculous prices hence they are selling at that rate. They are not fools. An analogy is real estate prices at Mumbai if that make sense.

Vinyl grading is an issue with India sellers. Prices have skyrocketed since last few years for bollywood oldies and recently for these new releases.

However for recent OSTs like Barfi, Roja or Life in a Metro, I'm happy with CDs or digital rip or Qobuz/ Apple Music streaming with a decent DAC. Since I have started using Denafrips DAC, 1990s and recent OSTs digital avatar are much more musical now and close to analogue feel.

For this very reason I have completely stopped buying records. I am trying to improve my digital source quality as much as possible. Currently I am building a passive LPF using just resistors, capacitors and inductors. If successful then will not require to use vinyls in future.

For this very reason I have completely stopped buying records. I am trying to improve my digital source quality as much as possible. Currently I am building a passive LPF using just resistors, capacitors and inductors. If successful then will not require to use vinyls in future.
Is LPF Low Pass Filter? How does it replace Vinyl? Please educate us, sir.

Whatever you do with electronics, you will never get the vinyl sound due to stupid dynamic range compression on digital media.

s
Hello FMs,

I don’t know if this has been experienced by me only or is it a general feeling that pricing of Hindi vinyl (especially of musicals) is just outrageous.

Over past 5 years vinyl format has seen an uptake in demand. As a result, the prices have generally gone up. I’ve been regularly buying vinyl from abroad, mostly English original releases or very early reissues. The prices of rock classics even today are reasonable.
But my experience on hindi vinyl especially from Indian resellers has been bad. If they sell cheap, it’s mostly falsely graded LPs; and otherwise they demand ridiculous prices.
Yesterday a gentleman on Facebook group asked me 20K each for Life in a metro and swades. I think that’s just taking gross advantage of the resurgence and leading to poor access.

Please feel free to pen your thoughts on this.

Thank you
It's quite interesting to observe how records are sold these days. The standard pricing for pre-used western titles seems to start at around Rs.1.5k for irrelevant worthless ones and goes up to Rs.4k or Rs.5k for either popular performers or albums of note. The common method these days seems to be - just stack a set of records against a wall and flip through them on video. At these price points, the buyer ideally should know whether proper branded high quality outer sleeves and inner sleeves are used (and not those sold in kilograms at your local hardware store), country of pressing and other related information, if pre-used, where the record came from (even if this is mentioned, just like all pre-used cars are pitched as doctor owned, records are usually from 'private' collections). Record and cover grading is almost never mentioned (of generally, the seller's own interpretation).

And then, there are the influencers, with their opinions. This is a first pressing, that pressing is outstanding, black nipper, red nipper, etc. A major scam especially for Bollywood records is that every movie OST seems to be rare or some worthless song that even the producers of the movie discarded from the movie itself but left it on the record in order to fill up space, is pitched as a rare and unheard gem. There are lot of Indian influences masquerading online as analog experts, giving opinions on these so called 'rare gems', usually sitting in front of some expensive audio gear giving the impression that they know everything. If you are part of whatsapp groups, you will notice that the content or topics of discussion especially when it comes to records, are dominated by a select few with strong opinions in support of each other, using the power of influence based on bragging rights (they are usually sitting on fancy equipment and believe their opinions are highly qualified). A new trend has started these days, reel tapes pitched as from a studio setting appearing as rare original recordings or mixes from studio archives. Even worthless audio cassettes that are fit to be thrown away are being pitched as 'original analog release' and are on the market for Rs.500 each or above. These are usually tapes thrown around at the back or bottom of some cupboard, full of fungus and dust. They are cleaned, polished up, if they look newish, they are shrink-wrapped and resold.

Having been around the world, buying records from all over, my general opinion of Indian pressings, especially from mixes done in India, is generally well below par (if not really poor). Some of the western titles released by Polydor and GCOIL back in the 1960s and early 1970s were the better ones but again, an original Decca UK press or Columbia US press of the same album was almost always significantly better. A lot of the Bollywood pressings that I have come across have distortion in the mixes themselves (as most audiophiles play these with tone-defeat, or on rigs with predominantly mid-range soundstages, the distortion is generally masked to a great extent). Anyone who is a student of the history of record production and sales in India will know that in order to sell records in volumes to the mass cost-conscious Indian consumer, the cost of record playing equipment had to be kept very low. Folks like HMV came out with cheap stuff and over 90 percent of the record reproduction equipment sold in India were portables, the crappy HMV Fiesta being India's highest selling record player of that era. The HMV Calypso came a close second. There were some better sounding models like the Philips 533 portable, the Philips Hi-Q and Hi-Fi rigs, etc but essentially manufacturers of Indian records never sold records produced for consumers with hi-quality rigs. Our Indian records just had to sound good on some portable record player or over the aluminium-horn speakers of public address system operators.

To add to the above is the digital vs analog source debate. And after all this, if one is interested in buying a new release or re-release of an old title, the high production costs and record-mafia based hoarding, is leading to high prices.

If you are an enthusiast starting out now, you are late especially if you are a bollywood person. Always keep in mind that most of the really mint records (either of reputed albums/performers, or even the worthless albums/performers) would already reside in some enthusiast's collection. Anyone selling duplicate copies, will always retain the better copy of the two. If you are into western titles and have access to international markets, you stand a great chance of building a high-quality collection but in India, its rather difficult these days. Nevertheless, the mantra is to always keep looking, spread the word and stay alert. You'd never know, that 'gem' which you are searching for may reside, forgotten, in your neighbour's, friend's or relative's cupboard :). Happy hunting!

Last edited:
But Aren’t vinyl pressings today made from digital recordings?
Except for a few companies most records do not mention if the source was compressed or not.
I saw this discussion online: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=106826
There are two masters used - an uncompressed master and a compressed master. This is compressed from a dynamic range perspective. Vinyls are cut from the uncompressed master as the stylus would jump around the grooves. Also to fit more music on the vinyl, quiet passages must be "quiet". Most digital versions barring a few come from the compressed master as loudness matters more than fidelity.

Last edited:
Are you sure? I always thought CDs have better Dynamic Range than Vinyl? In fact CDs have the best of most of the available mediums as far as I know. ( Correct me if Wrong)
This is a Commonly Busted Myth about Dynamic Range.
This article is written by a moron who has zero clue about what he is talking about and has never actually experienced anything. Its not a myth - its the truth. Here is a video on the same with measurements:

There was one more site which had actually done measurements for dozens of CDs/LPs/Streaming sources. Will post here when I manage to find the link.

Just as an example, try playing the CD version of Rumours and then the same on Vinyl - it is a no contest.

This article is written by a moron who has zero clue about what he is talking about and has never actually experienced anything. Its not a myth - its the truth. Here is a video on the same with measurements:

There was one more site which had actually done measurements for dozens of CDs/LPs/Streaming sources. Will post here when I manage to find the link.

Just as an example, try playing the CD version of Rumours and then the same on Vinyl - it is a no contest.
He Played the Vinyl did ADC and measured the DR of the File created, its the DR of Chain not medium per se, even then its no better than 4db difference which is inaudible. Considering the noise associated with Vinyl Playback how much of it is actually usable is another discussion altogether.
He himself agrees on the noise issue of vinyl rip and lack of layering in music, but ends up preferring the Vinyl Rip which to me is more of a Subjective preference which everyone's entitled to.

What he could've done is just played the Digital Sound with Comparably priced DAC / Streamer Transport and did ADC of XLR output from DAC and compared the Resulting file to original digital and vinyl rip files. In that way the ADC and software confounding the results could've been leveled to some extent.
BTW playing from a Good CD via Player will be much better than the other two (Streaming or Vinyl) in my honest experience.
Coming to CD version of rumors it could just be a Mastering Issue, I had Compared Jab tak hai Jaan/ Raanjhana CD and LPs played via Rega Planar 1 vs Marantz CD 6006 few years ago, later I sold my Vinyl rig.
YMMV anyways.

He Played the Vinyl did ADC and measured the DR of the File created, its the DR of Chain not medium per se, even then its no better than 4db difference which is inaudible. Considering the noise associated with Vinyl Playback how much of it is actually usable is another discussion altogether.
He himself agrees on the noise issue of vinyl rip and lack of layering in music, but ends up preferring the Vinyl Rip which to me is more of a Subjective preference which everyone's entitled to.

What he could've done is just played the Digital Sound with Comparably priced DAC / Streamer Transport and did ADC of XLR output from DAC and compared the Resulting file to original digital and vinyl rip files. In that way the ADC and software confounding the results could've been leveled to some extent.
BTW playing from a Good CD via Player will be much better than the other two (Streaming or Vinyl) in my honest experience.
Coming to CD version of rumors it could just be a Mastering Issue, I had Compared Jab tak hai Jaan/ Raanjhana CD and LPs played via Rega Planar 1 vs Marantz CD 6006 few years ago, later I sold my Vinyl rig.
YMMV anyways.

Yes it is more likely that the DR of the chain will affect the output negatively compared to a straight up digital file which is purchased or streamed. So the vinyl rig is at a disadvantage here. Still the numbers are higher. Why do you want to run a flac file through the playback process? It is already in digital form and quite easy to check the DR as is. You would be creating another digital file with lower quality if you run it through the chain.

If this doesn't satisfy you, here is a site that does DR tests across a range of formats.

Here is an example:

All the digital formats in this example other than the surround sound formats have a DR of 8 vs 13 of vinyl and surround formats. Pretty obvious there are two different masters involved in this. Almost all the results are similar.

The trouble with vinyl is that low end record players like the rega RP1 don't even scratch the surface(sic!) of vinyl. The entry cost of a good vinyl player is high. You'd need to compare at least 100-200k vinyl players with similar priced CD players/CDT+DAC to make sense of how much better vinyl is. Also you need to get a proper pressing. Finally the record player is only half the puzzle. The phono preamp matters as much as the record player. Most folks end up buying super cheap phonos with just a single opamp in it and then complain vinyl sounds terrible.

Anyways we are veering way off topic here. But yes the bottom line is vinyl can sound better under the right circumstances - much much much better due to inherent problems of how the digital files are being created by stupid recording studios. And yes, the pricing of vinyl these days is stupid - absolutely stupid.

Last edited:
Below is my personal experience

For albums of 50s, 60s and 70s, I prefer vinyl

For albums from 80s, it’s a toss up. Some albums I prefer on vinyl. Some i prefer CDs.

For albums from 90s and later I prefer cd to vinyl on entry level rigs. And on high end comparable digital and analog rigs, I prefer vinyl for certain genres like rock and pop.

Yes it is more likely that the DR of the chain will affect the output negatively compared to a straight up digital file which is purchased or streamed. So the vinyl rig is at a disadvantage here. Still the numbers are higher. Why do you want to run a flac file through the playback process? It is already in digital form and quite easy to check the DR as is. You would be creating another digital file with lower quality if you run it through the chain.

If this doesn't satisfy you, here is a site that does DR tests across a range of formats.

Here is an example:

All the digital formats in this example other than the surround sound formats have a DR of 8 vs 13 of vinyl and surround formats. Pretty obvious there are two different masters involved in this. Almost all the results are similar.

The trouble with vinyl is that low end record players like the rega RP1 don't even scratch the surface(sic!) of vinyl. The entry cost of a good vinyl player is high. You'd need to compare at least 100-200k vinyl players with similar priced CD players/CDT+DAC to make sense of how much better vinyl is. Also you need to get a proper pressing. Finally the record player is only half the puzzle. The phono preamp matters as much as the record player. Most folks end up buying super cheap phonos with just a single opamp in it and then complain vinyl sounds terrible.

Anyways we are veering way off topic here. But yes the bottom line is vinyl can sound better under the right circumstances - much much much better due to inherent problems of how the digital files are being created by stupid recording studios. And yes, the pricing of vinyl these days is stupid - absolutely stupid.
Why I wanted to replay and record is Basically some DACs do a great job in enhancing the nuances and improve overall presentation. The ADC and Software effect will be nullified for comparison. Also instead of a Random Download comparing the fresh CD RIP would be a good idea.

The Surface Noise itself will obviate the DR advantage if any, I'm not even considering the clicks and Pops, which is literally like trying to hear the music in between the noise. Well some audiophiles (including myself) are quite put off by noise.
Dynamic Range in Noise

Yes we're digressing from the Topic a lot, let's agree to disagree.

Drkrack, a good vinyl set up will play very quiet. I too was very skeptical initially because I was coming from high end digital which was dead silent. But after I heard vinyl on a good set up, I decided to move to analog. I am not saying vinyl is for everyone but it definitely is very very dynamic and can also play very quiet. On my EMT, trust me you will be hard pressed to figure out whether a cd or a lp is playing. It’s dead quiet with zero pops and tics.

I really don’t understand why people keep cribbing about vinyl being expensive. Pricing is always a function of supply and demand. Near mint Bollywood lps have become very rare and too many people chasing it. So it’s going to be expensive. That’s how a market works.

Most old Bollywood titles have been mastered very well. Many say they are mastered poorly. I don’t buy that. On my system they are fairly dynamic and sound very good. Absolutely no issues with quality of sound

For me its the genre of music which determines the choice of format. For anything from the 40s, 50s. 60s, 70s and 80s (except for heavier music like the various genres of guitar oriented heavier rock from the late 60s, 70s and from the 80s onward) is all on LP. For heavier genres of rock, its purely digital as I find the sound coming off LPs to be too smooth, mid-rangy, mellow and completely lacking the fury required, that enables and powers the thrill of listening to these genres. I have tried to recreate concert experiences when listing to my favourite Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Linkin Park, Slayer and Judas Priest albums on digital (not to forget all my favourite Hair bands of the 80s)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back