Ridiculous Vinyl Pricing - India re-sellers

On my EMT, trust me you will be hard pressed to figure out whether a cd or a lp is playing. It’s dead quiet with zero pops and tics.
That's what we mean when we say Vinyl is Expensive, I don't need EMT level of Investment to get a quieter system on Digital side, a cheaper topping dac with decent measurements will be more than enough, add a Wiim pro and you'll have an equally quieter system on Digital side under 1L.

I agree on the fact that Genre determines the medium/format to choose, I've almost stopped listening to B&W Bollywood due to very poor digital mastering. Anything after 60s is well listen-able on Digital with Ocassional exceptions. Post 90s mostly its digital masters are easily available and they're employed even for creating vinyls. Will definitely explore a economical vinyl solution for that 60s Genre of music.

It’s very important that everyone finds their own set of attributes that they desire from a music system. Drkrack, it’s nice that you have found yours.

Just to clarify a point, when I was coming from digital I wanted the quietness of digital with the plus points of analogue. EMT served my needs, especially in the kind of music I listen to.

Who knows what the future holds? :)

It’s very important that everyone finds their own set of attributes that they desire from a music system
@prem, that’s so nicely expressed !

Understanding and discovering our personal preferences in Audio is the real quest for every aspiring audiophile//audio enthusiast.

While on the original topic of this thread, I am wondering how much I should sell my old LPs for….They are 70s and 60s (my fathers collection) vintage.
Any suggestions? Wisecracks? Thoughts?

While on the original topic of this thread, I am wondering how much I should sell my old LPs for….They are 70s and 60s (my fathers collection) vintage.
Any suggestions? Wisecracks? Thoughts?
I am no expert but price will depend upon genre, condition and demand.

Sir, I ain’t rich either. I too am a true lover of music, and have the same wants and needs as you.
So any suggestions?
Yessir, you may follow the template as done by many sellers of the classifieds forum. People have been doing that regularly, and the prices seem mostly fair.

Are you sure? I always thought CDs have better Dynamic Range than Vinyl? In fact CDs have the best of most of the available mediums as far as I know. ( Correct me if Wrong)
This is a Commonly Busted Myth about Dynamic Range.
Technically CD has a better range and is perhaps the better medium. But when it comes to the the actual pressing, it is a different matter.

Reason is simple, the majority of folks who bought CDs played it on the mass market CD players and hence the pressing had to be compressed so they could hear it complete while the Majority of the Vinyl Market had slightly more resolving systems hence better masters for it.

Similarly you will find Jazz and Western Classical CDs to be better pressings but Rock/Pop suck.

Hello FMs,

I don’t know if this has been experienced by me only or is it a general feeling that pricing of Hindi vinyl (especially of musicals) is just outrageous.

Over past 5 years vinyl format has seen an uptake in demand. As a result, the prices have generally gone up. I’ve been regularly buying vinyl from abroad, mostly English original releases or very early reissues. The prices of rock classics even today are reasonable.
But my experience on hindi vinyl especially from Indian resellers has been bad. If they sell cheap, it’s mostly falsely graded LPs; and otherwise they demand ridiculous prices.
Yesterday a gentleman on Facebook group asked me 20K each for Life in a metro and swades. I think that’s just taking gross advantage of the resurgence and leading to poor access.

Please feel free to pen your thoughts on this.

Thank you
Please don't entertain this type of resellers 🙏. Money minded vendor's

Please don't entertain this type of resellers 🙏. Money minded vendor's
But buyers and vinyl enthusiasts are money minded too?

If I was still a vinyl enthusiast i would be delighted to find great albums at whatever I would consider low prices.

Seems to me that Rare and gpod recordings will continue to be priced high and others not so much. Buyers’ individual nature, depth of passion and availability of money will determine the outcome.

As in many other aspects of life, most (but not all) people will go by what their peers say and sometimes by what a google search reveals and decide to buy or not. Sellers will do the same and continue to sell for whatever maximum prices they can get, despite the occasional outrage expressed on social media.

Vinyl lovers are too small a vote bank for any government to step in and regulate prices (as with petroleum products, milk, etc) 😊

Interesting thread with lot of interesting views I must say. I got into vinyl only 9 months and quickly built a decent collection without too much of a bad experience. I bought quite a bit in Europe and Japan but I did buy quite a lot in india too. It's not so bad if you are a discerning buyer. Id encourage people who are into vinyl to not buy blindly for sure but not everyone is our to get you!

Hello FMs,

I don’t know if this has been experienced by me only or is it a general feeling that pricing of Hindi vinyl (especially of musicals) is just outrageous.

Over past 5 years vinyl format has seen an uptake in demand. As a result, the prices have generally gone up. I’ve been regularly buying vinyl from abroad, mostly English original releases or very early reissues. The prices of rock classics even today are reasonable.
But my experience on hindi vinyl especially from Indian resellers has been bad. If they sell cheap, it’s mostly falsely graded LPs; and otherwise they demand ridiculous prices.
Yesterday a gentleman on Facebook group asked me 20K each for Life in a metro and swades. I think that’s just taking gross advantage of the resurgence and leading to poor access.

Please feel free to pen your thoughts on this.

Thank you
I am not sure all rock music stuff is reasonably priced either. This week i have been toying with Jeff Beck blow by blow(analogue productiona 45rpm), miles Davis kind of blue (analogue productions 45rpm), lightning Hopkins analogue productions and waltz by Debby craft ojc. Let me assure this will set you back by pretty penny. Similarly if you want legacy but exotic stuff but in very good condition in Hindi, it does cost a pretty penny. Often times the problem is that pretty penny doesn't guarantee a good sounding lp. That's a legit concern. The vinyl sellers don't have a revealing good play back system. Id buy from fellow enthusiast or from families who are selling the heirloom. Id avoid professional sellers or Hindi old stuff. They all mis report condition.

Just began my vinyl journey and started collecting my favourite jazz vinyls.
I have allocated more budget for vinyl than on TT & it’s supporting components .

At Harmonie Audio I found most of my Jazz titles and the pricing is reasonable. I keep visiting its web site frequently for fresh title announcements.

Highly recommended for Jazz & classic rock collection !

Cheers!

Last edited:
Imo, spending less than 5% of your monthly income on vinyls is ok. Anything more is not a wise investment. Again that's for me.

This may bring some cheer to some…
This sentence did bring cheer:
After this latest LP, the duo plans to publish more records, starting with one by the Indian band Parikrama
I would not mind owning this LP if/when it comes out. Parikrama has been a part of the Indian rock scene as far as I can remember but they never chose to release a full-length album. That does not take away from their appeal - to me they always seemed to have this kind of grandfatherly aura, watching other bands come and go! I remember going to some of their live shows.
Hence,🤞

Imo, spending less than 5% of your monthly income on vinyls is ok. Anything more is not a wise investment. Again that's for me.
As you mention, it varies from person to person and it is completely dependent on a person's financial situation and disposable income.

Vinyl's are expensive and unfortunately 2 channel audio has slowly become a rich man's hobby.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back