Ridiculous Vinyl Pricing - India re-sellers

I wonder where does he find bakras to buy these kind of LPs
I wouldn't say bakras,
but, there are a lot of sensible people with antique/vintage vinyl turntable (those that uses needle ), don't mind these records. they do sound ok on them.
Jumps, clicks , screeching ... are all part of the song - a traditional DJ personalized on each record :)

Ticks, pops and bumps from scratches, is one side of the experience and some actually enjoy it, however damaged grooves are a curse, imagine the stylus getting stuck or skipping and skating every now and then. That would result in quite an unpleasant listening experience. And then, there's the factor of resultant distortion caused by worn or damaged grooves.

This sentence did bring cheer:

I would not mind owning this LP if/when it comes out. Parikrama has been a part of the Indian rock scene as far as I can remember but they never chose to release a full-length album. That does not take away from their appeal - to me they always seemed to have this kind of grandfatherly aura, watching other bands come and go! I remember going to some of their live shows.
Hence,🤞
Just saw that the Parikrama LP is available for pre-order now, at the Free School Records website - https://freeschoolstreetrecords.com/

Most old Bollywood titles have been mastered very well. Many say they are mastered poorly. I don’t buy that. On my system they are fairly dynamic and sound very good. Absolutely no issues with quality of sound
That is so true but let’s accept the truth that in order to get to that level, one needs to invest quite an amount of money, almost to the ridiculous and illogical level. Like in my system, which is for streaming, at this stage, when I can say I am satisfied, have spent close to USD10k just on LPS. It hurts but can’t complain on recordings anymore.

I was referring to vinyl mastering of old Bollywood albums. Any decent vinyl set up will reproduce them well. You don’t need to spend much on the system. But the problem is these vinyls have become very expensive. As far as digital goes, the only decent ones are the Made in England CDs from the late 80s to early 90s. But they too do not measure up to the vinyls. I wouldn’t bother with streaming as far as old Bollywood titles go. The basic material given to the streaming companies has been no noised and compressed.

I wouldn’t bother with streaming as far as old Bollywood titles go. The basic material given to the streaming companies has been no noised and compressed.
Knowing your background, I cannot argue but would like to differ.

With very limited knowledge, I suspect that the RIAA guidelines are what makes a vinyl sound the way it sounds and there are lot of interesting information hidden within those guidelines.

Bornfi, I am just basing it on my listening experience. Till 2012 I was only into digital. I had completely moved to CDs by 1988. So in those 24 years, I have owned top of the line Esoteric transport and dac, CEC transport, Mark Levinson transport and dac, Zanden transport and dac and a few other top brands. I have heard pretty much every top of the line digital rig till 2012. Post that I moved to vinyl. I started with a basic set up. It just sounded much more real to my ears. Since 2012 I have only had vinyl. But I have heard a few good digital rigs at friends places. I still see an issue with playback of old Bollywood songs in digital. As I said it has nothing to do with the quality of the equipment or the medium. It is just that they have compressed old Bollywood songs when mastering for digital. If the source material isn’t good, no equipment can save it.

I have no favourites when it comes to a medium. I am ok to any medium as long as the source material for that medium is mastered well.

Last edited:
Bornfi, I am just basing it on my listening experience. Till 2012 I was only into digital. I had completely moved to CDs by 1988. So in those 24 years, I have owned top of the line Esoteric transport and dac, CEC transport, Mark Levinson transport and dac, Zanden transport and dac and a few other top brands. I have heard pretty much every top of the line digital rig till 2012. Post that I moved to vinyl. I started with a basic set up. It just sounded much more real to my ears. Since 2012 I have only had vinyl. But I have heard a few good digital rigs at friends places. I still see an issue with playback of old Bollywood songs in digital. As I said it has nothing to do with the quality of the equipment or the medium. It is just that they have compressed old Bollywood songs when mastering for digital. If the source material isn’t good, no equipment can save it.

I have no favourites when it comes to a medium. I am ok to any medium as long as the source material for that medium is mastered well.

Fully agree. For bollywood oldies, except a few CDs, vinyl will remain the best medium.

Below is my personal experience

For albums of 50s, 60s and 70s, I prefer vinyl

For albums from 80s, it’s a toss up. Some albums I prefer on vinyl. Some i prefer CDs.

For albums from 90s and later I prefer cd to vinyl on entry level rigs. And on high end comparable digital and analog rigs, I prefer vinyl for certain genres like rock and pop.
Yep you are right after 80’s all vinyl were made from a digital source

On well maintained near mint vinyls, no pops and tics occur.

Also tracking has to be perfect.

Of course the vinyl should be free of dust, static, scratches, damaged grooves

If vinyl is not upto the mark, high end turntable is not the solution

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back