Suggestions for subwoofers

mosesarm

Hi,

I’m currently gathering up equipment to set up my home theatre.
Since I’m unable to dedicate a room to the home theatre, I have to set it up in my hall, which has an open layout and is over 6000 cubic feet in volume. One side is not walled, it’s a bay window. The dimensions of the hall are 36 x 21 x 9 ft.
our seating position is about 13-14ft from the where I intend to set up the HT unit, along the length of the hall.
require suggestions for subwoofers. I don’t mind DIY, don’t necessarily need a brand.
im gonna be using tannoy precision 6.2 floor standers which are rear ported.
pls also suggest someone who is good at calibration and setups as I’m sure I’ll require room treatment.
im based out of Pune.

I would go with a REL Predator, considering the dimension of your room. Although, a lot of decision is dependent on the budget.

For a room this size, would a sealed sub work better than a ported sub ?
Well, the way Rel designed the Predator, it can easily rival a ported sub. Comparative measurements are available online, you can have a look.

Hi,

Since I’m unable to dedicate a room to the home theatre, I have to set it up in my hall, which has an open layout and is over 6000 cubic feet in volume. One side is not walled, it’s a bay window. The dimensions of the hall are 36 x 21 x 9 ft.
our seating position is about 13-14ft from the where I intend to set up the HT unit, along the length of the hall.
require suggestions for subwoofers. I don’t mind DIY, don’t necessarily need a brand.
pls also suggest someone who is good at calibration and setups as I’m sure I’ll require room treatment.
im based out of Pune.

Neighbours' Envy, & Annoyance, all wrapped in one. The Ascendo SMSG50.

P5150129_hu01c3d814a23ad5110f3ff1951246edbb_2013105_800x0_resize_q75_box.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

im based out of Pune.
What's your budget?

Hi,

im based out of Pune.
That’s a huge room. Go for duals. Since usage is for HT better go with a ported sub for a room of that size. What is your budget ?

That’s a huge room. Go for duals. Since usage is for HT better go with a ported sub for a room of that size. What is your budget ?
i am considering duals. I guess 3lk would be my budget since all the research I’ve done so far seems to to indicate that I would need duals, each 800 watts at a minimum.
but that’s textual and I need real world advice.
@OM_2K19 suggested the REL predator and I like the array system they have.
GSG diy kits interest me a good deal and they aren’t expensive.

i am considering duals. I guess 3lk would be my budget since all the research I’ve done so far seems to to indicate that I would need duals, each 800 watts at a minimum.
but that’s textual and I need real world advice.
@OM_2K19 suggested the REL predator and I like the array system they have.
GSG diy kits interest me a good deal and they aren’t expensive.
If duals the Rel predator is a very good choice for your room. 15 inch and 800 watts of REL is a no brainer.

how about the REL subwoofer arrays with the predator line? what are your thoughts about that?
Instead, look at dual REL 212/SX or dual Rythmik F25HP2.

Or even better, a JL Audio F212 Fathom. Nothing hits like a JL Sub.

I suggested REL predator purely based on user feedback and on paper specs. Haven’t used or heard it
The paper specs of Rythmik E/F15HP2 seem to be much better. 12 hz at -2db vs 20hz at -8db for the Predator.

Last edited:
Instead, look at dual REL 212/SX or dual Rythmik F25HP2.

Or even better, a JL Audio F212 Fathom. Nothing hits like a JL Sub.

The paper specs of Rythmik E/F15HP2 seem to be much better. 12 hz at -2db vs 20hz at -8db for the Predator.
Thanks. Will check these out too

Hi,

im based out of Pune.
Sealed subs a big no for this room..

Hi,

im based out of Pune.
For ur room size ,if budget and positioning is not a constraint, I would prefer a quad subs of 15" size ported ( which can go down to minimum 12 to 16hz frequency range ) possibly aligned and equed by a minidsp or equivalent.
Some of the sub brands to looks out are Rhythmik ,PSA .

Hi,

im based out of Pune.
I guess for your room dimension, 2 x 15inch subs from Rythmik would be awesome I feel

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back