Suggestions for subwoofers

For ur room size ,if budget and positioning is not a constraint, I would prefer a quad subs of 15" size ported ( which can go down to minimum 12 to 16hz frequency range ) possibly aligned and equed by a minidsp or equivalent.
Some of the sub brands to looks out are Rhythmik ,PSA .
Quad subs is not an option for me. The most I can do is 2.
This is the main hall and not a dedicated room.
The HT is going to be one part of the hall and not the entire hall. Much as I’d love to have converted the whole place to a bachelor pad, doing so would ensure a very quick introduction to the afterlife 🤣
thanks for the suggestion though. When I do get around to building one in a dedicated room, this is something I might do.

Yes but E/F15 hp2 is out of his 3L budget.
That budget is due to lack of options otherwise.

I would prefer to spend much lesser than that.

im looking into diy and GSG has some great stuff at less than $1000. Importing that shouldn’t attract too much in the way of customs duties. The amps they suggest for use are available here in India too.

That budget is due to lack of options otherwise.

I would prefer to spend much lesser than that.

im looking into diy and GSG has some great stuff at less than $1000. Importing that shouldn’t attract too much in the way of customs duties. The amps they suggest for use are available here in India too.
If budget is not a problem you can go for dual rythmik 15 inch ported subs or even their 18 inch ported subs

gsg? Someones spending too much time on avs.

customs is about 44% for speakers.

why bother with kits if your doing the martys they are just ported boxes buy the drivers/amps here and build the box, easier for you since the plans are easily available. imo the marty is not good, especially with the um18, have fun!

gsg? Someones spending too much time on avs.

customs is about 44% for speakers.

why bother with kits if your doing the martys they are just ported boxes buy the drivers/amps here and build the box, easier for you since the plans are easily available. imo the marty is not good, especially with the um18, have fun!
Hey. Thanks for the heads up.

Sealed subs a big no for this room..
I emphatically second this opinion!

A ported sub of the same driver size would pressurise the room much better than a sealed box for very little additional money.

An FVX15 would double the output of the sealed F15 and the price difference is just about negligible.

Oh great. Guess your using it in a big space.
Thats right. A single Rythmik E15HP2 is adequate but to get an epic movie feel, especially at low volumes, I've had to couple it with dual REL T9is.

The reason why i recommended the slightly larger F15 is because notwithstanding the same driver and amp, cabinet volume also matters when it comes to output.

The E15HP2 is quite a small box despite being a 15 incher. The F15 isn't much larger but that added volume should help.

I have a Mission MS450 which is a larger box and ported to boot and it has only 400Ws of power. However, it pressurises my large room more effectively than the E15HP2 at low volumes.

This post from Rythmik's website gives good guidance in this regard:

Home theatre subs

For systems where home theatre is the main priority, we recommend our vented subs. At 20 Hz, a vented sub is comparable to the output of two similar sealed subs. LV12F is our lowest cost sub and is designed for smaller rooms and modest budgets. Our larger 15" subs are suited to larger rooms and have substantially more output. Don't be fooled by typical comments about vented subs lacking accuracy. These subs are tight and musical.

Music only systems

For music-only systems we recommend our sealed subs. We have sealed subs in various sizes and finishes. Where high output at 20 Hz is not needed, our sealed subs will match the output of their vented equivalents. In addition, greater extension is possible. Combined with room gain, in-room extension to 14 Hz or even lower is possible.

Combined systems

For combined music and home theatre systems, many of our 15" sealed subs are a good all round compromise. Our dual sealed 15" F25 is a very good choice, offering the LFE output of our vented subs but with the added bonus of greater midbass efficiency and output.

With respect to the above, my sealed speakers and sealed subwoofers leverage room gain and give additional extension over the rated figures - 10Hz flat and -3db at 8hz for the Rythmik (its rated at 14hz at -2db) and 25hz at -6db for the REL (rated at 28hz at -6db). Furthermore, they roll off in a very linear fashion as opposed to my ported speakers and subwoofers which roll off drastically.​
My room is just 10*11 and the the 600 watts should be more then enough.
I agree.

Also I don’t crank the volume high and watch at very low volume levels. I think apart from power and head room both 600 and 900 version should perform the same interms of quality of the bass.
True. But do check if the 600W version comes with a PEQ. I believe you have to opt for it specifically and at an added cost. However, it comes standard on the 900W version. Redundant if you use MiniDSP or any other room correction.

How good is it for movies and music?
Incredible for both. My RELS are ever so slightly better at disappearing and blending but the Rythmik does a darn good job as well while delivering incredible extension down to 10Hz flat and -3db at 8hz.

Thats right. A single Rythmik E15HP2 is adequate but to get an epic movie feel, especially at low volumes, I've had to couple it with dual REL T9is.

The reason why i recommended the slightly larger F15 is because notwithstanding the same driver and amp, cabinet volume also matters when it comes to output.

The E15HP2 is quite a small box despite being a 15 incher. The F15 isn't much larger but that added volume should help.

I have a Mission MS450 which is a larger box and ported to boot and it has only 400Ws of power. However, it pressurises my large room more effectively than the E15HP2 at low volumes.
This is the output of all rythmik subs with f12 at 20HZ as the base line from their site. Now the E15 is +5db which is just .5db less then the f15. Do you suggest .5db will make a difference.Both almost cost the same and if it definitely makes a difference i do have the space for f15. I have the lv12f now which is +2.5db and the SPL is more then enough. E15 is twice that of lv12f and even .5db louder then the FVX12 which is a phenomenal ported sub-woofer.

• F12: 0db (baseline)
  • F8/FM8: -1.5db
  • L12: -1db
  • F12-300: -0.5db
  • LV12F: +2.5db
  • L22: + 4db
  • LVX12: +4db
  • FVX12: +4.5db
  • E15HP: + 5db
  • F15HP: +5.5db
  • G22: 6db
  • E22: 6db
  • F18: +7.5db
  • FVX15: +8db
  • FV15HP: +11db
  • G25HP: +12db
  • FV18: +14db
  • FV25HP: +17db

An FVX15 would double the output of the sealed F15

I am not familiar with these models but just as an informative post when you use a ported box compared to a sealed box with the same driver and appropriately sized box then the ported gain is around tune and upto about half an octave above it, say a box is tuned to 20Hz then above 40Hz it would be about the same as the sealed box. The gain from a port from a large box and well made port can be as much as 12db which would be 4 times the output around tune as typically you need double the drivers and power for a 6db gain. Ported boxes are best served for low fidelity applications and where maximum output is desired for minimal space, particularly in the 20-40Hz band, this is typically movies which does not require quality speakers or subs.

Going by your room dimensions and other requirements, I would suggest a pair of XTZ 12.17 Edge. I have a single XTZ 12.17(not the Edge version which is more advancedand expensive) and it shakes my room. Bass is accurate and not boomy. You just need to place it right.
If possible, audition XTZ once.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back