Suggestions on Budget 4K Projector (Less than 1.5L)

pkv

After finishing my audio setup I was working on the Projector Part. After analysing Chinese projectors i moved to Full HD Projectors and almost Zeroed on Optomo HD HDR30 (4K+HDR Compatible) costing me around 65K. However, i have been mulling over that since its a one-time investment why to invest in dying technology when the world is moving towards 8K. So i thought let me look around for Budget 4K projectors and i came across 4 models which are available below 1.5 Lacs which are
Optoma UHD 33, Benq TK800M, Epson TW1700 and ViewSonic CPB701-4K costing between1.1 - 1.35 Lacs.
My setup is living room of a white motorized screen of 120 inch and just opposite to screen a very very large window (Of course with Curtains) so there is a ambient light. Usage is mostly on watching OTT, Downloaded 4K movies and youtube...

First thing, I am confused if it's worth going for 4K in comparison to Optoma Full HD projector and spend more than double the money. Should I just go for full HD now and probably after 2-3 years 4K projectors price would have fallen enough to be in the range of current Full HD Projectors, look for that.
Will Full HD Vs 4K really make that much difference on Projectors for my setup..
Does 4K Budget Projectors comes close to 4K TV ??

Coming to the comparison of these models on Paper, I have done a detailed comparison on all parameters and attached along with and Optoma seems to be a winner on paper but I know it's not much of use without the rich experience of FMs here.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get anyone in Bangalore where i can audition them myself so it's almost like i am shooting in dark :( . My only hope for making my dream home theater is the experience of FMs here...

Looking forward to your suggestions and inputs..

Attachments

• ProjectComparison.pdf
    424 KB · Views: 69
Also check if you're susceptible to rainbow effect on a DLP projector. You gotta take a demo. With w2700 it's hard to see. I guess with TK800, it's bit easy to see. If at all you can see it, your only choices would be an epson in your budget.

If there is ambient light in the room during daytime 2000 lumens will be barely sufficient to get a bright picture. I am using BenQ W1720 in a light controlled room with excellent results. Always look for RGBRGB color wheel models if choosing DLP. The rainbow effect is noticeable for me only during end credits(black background with rolling white text) only when I roll my eyes fast across the screen, which is just 1% usecase.

After finishing my audio setup I was working on the Projector Part. After analysing Chinese projectors i moved to Full HD Projectors and almost Zeroed on Optomo HD HDR30 (4K+HDR Compatible) costing me around 65K. However, i have been mulling over that since its a one-time investment why to invest in dying technology when the world is moving towards 8K. So i thought let me look around for Budget 4K projectors and i came across 4 models which are available below 1.5 Lacs which are
Optoma UHD 33, Benq TK800M, Epson TW1700 and ViewSonic CPB701-4K costing between1.1 - 1.35 Lacs.
My setup is living room of a white motorized screen of 120 inch and just opposite to screen a very very large window (Of course with Curtains) so there is a ambient light.
My setup is very similar, only difference being I've double curtains and blinds which block ambient light efficiently. I was in similar dilemma few days ago, this is how I zeroed the projector:
Started thinking about Optoma Hd30hdr (60-80K), looked for other products near 1.5lakh range and found the list you have identified and a few 4K TVs in 70-80K range.

Now, TVs definitely beat projectors in same (or even double cost range) for colours, brightness and blacks. But, I already have a TV in that living room with own 5.1 setup, so that wasn't an option. Even a 75 inch TV is no match for 100 inch+ screens on immersion, BTW.

Avoided viewsonic as it doesn't support 3D.
Now, Optoma Hd30hdr, Optoma UHD, Benq Tk800M and Epson 7100 remained.

My room is about 16-18 feet long from projector to screen. Now, none of the Optoma / Benq projectors in that range have lense shift or ability to project from that distance to a 7feet wide screen (another room limitation on screen width). Also, you can't place them sideways. This directly became a deal breaker for Optoma /Benqs.

Went with Epson TW7100, and I'm pretty happy with the choice (didn't have any, really). The function basically followed the form!

Epson 7100 is bright, good colours, supports 3D and is 4K compatible (not 4k), most importantly allows long throw, has lense shift.

I won't go DLP vs 3LCD discussion, you must have went through plenty of literature.

Just, consider your projector location and check projection calculator on projector central. That may help you decide. Also, while buying projector, consider a local dealer. Helps in installation and after sales.

My setup is very similar, only difference being I've double curtains and blinds which block ambient light efficiently. I was in similar dilemma few days ago, this is how I zeroed the projector:
Started thinking about Optoma Hd30hdr (60-80K), looked for other products near 1.5lakh range and found the list you have identified and a few 4K TVs in 70-80K range.

Now, TVs definitely beat projectors in same (or even double cost range) for colours, brightness and blacks. But, I already have a TV in that living room with own 5.1 setup, so that wasn't an option. Even a 75 inch TV is no match for 100 inch+ screens on immersion, BTW.

My room is about 16-18 feet long from projector to screen. Now, none of the Optoma / Benq projectors in that range have lense shift or ability to project from that distance to a 7feet wide screen (another room limitation on screen width). Also, you can't place them sideways. This directly became a deal breaker for Optoma /Benqs.

Went with Epson TW7100, and I'm pretty happy with the choice (didn't have any, really). The function basically followed the form!

Epson 7100 is bright, good colours, supports 3D and is 4K compatible (not 4k), most importantly allows long throw, has lense shift.

I won't go DLP vs 3LCD discussion, you must have went through plenty of literature.

Just, consider your projector location and check projection calculator on projector central. That may help you decide. Also, while buying projector, consider a local dealer. Helps in installation and after sales.
Any ideas about the current price for 7100?

Benq w2700 can be better than TK800M if you can get it under 1.5 lacs.
I went with W2700 when my Optoma FHD PJ gave up last year same lockdown.

It is out of the box calibrated. And you get a calibration report in the box. As stated color reproduction is very nice. But you won’t get the list of features when compared to PJ like Optoma. But it never felt lacking.

Try getting a Benq W1800i from Europe. Best of good colours and gaming features as well. Only cons are 1.2 throw ratio(not a short throw) and luminance at 2000 lumens because of RGBRGB colour wheel. GOt it for 94k on blackfriday deal.

Great, so you also almost walked the same path. For me, Projector is around 14-15 feet away from the screen which means it can exactly create 120 inch for all projectors. I am only considering local guys only (Based on inputs from FMs here). Only thing is i am hanging projector quite close to the Double Ceiling height french window (1 feet away from window).. Though i have put sheer and curtain still in mornings there would be a bit of sunlight coming which might create some heat in the projector. I believe LCD is more heat sensitive.. Horizontally it's exactly in middle of screen however vertically its little bit of height and not in the middle of the screen.
My understanding is that Vertical keystone correction shd work perfectly for me which is part of Benq and Optoma ??
Did you take the Audition of Benq and Epson side by side ? For me also it boiled down to Optoma 30HDHDR/Epson7100/Benq TK800M..
How much will the difference in pic will be betwen true 4K Vs Enhanced 4K Pic ..Is it really noticeable...
How much difference in pic quality will be between Optoma HD HDR30 Vs Epson 7100 from 12 feet distance ?

Attachments

• Living Room.png
    Living Room.png
    859.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Try getting a Benq W1800i from Europe. Best of good colours and gaming features as well. Only cons are 1.2 throw ratio(not a short throw) and luminance at 2000 lumens because of RGBRGB colour wheel. GOt it for 94k on blackfriday deal.
Thanks, Ravi. I had not tried getting from US/UK due to fear of breakage as well as losing the warranty part. How did you go about it ..Did the store directly shipped it ?? I will explore this route as well..

Also check if you're susceptible to rainbow effect on a DLP projector. You gotta take a demo. With w2700 it's hard to see. I guess with TK800, it's bit easy to see. If at all you can see it, your only choices would be an epson in your budget.
Thank you for reminding it.. Though i have watched few scenes on DLP projector, i have not been intentionally checking it.. Will check especially for end credits..

I went with W2700 when my Optoma FHD PJ gave up last year same lockdown.

It is out of the box calibrated. And you get a calibration report in the box. As stated color reproduction is very nice. But you won’t get the list of features when compared to PJ like Optoma. But it never felt lacking.
Is Optoma not reliable as much as Epson/BenQ ? I am still considering Optoma HD HDR30 (FHD model).. Where does optimal scores over BenQ in terms of features ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back