Suggestions on Denon AVRX1000 + Boston Acoustics A250 + A25 + ASW650

srionline24

Hi All,

It is great to join this community. I have gone through various threads on this forum and gained basic understanding about AV Receivers, Speakers and Integrated Amplifiers.

I am planning to buy a decent Home Theatre system for Music, Movies and Games.

I request help from the gurus and owners on this forum to help me decide on the configuration.

My Requirements:
=============

1. Audiophile Quality Music (at a low to medium volume levels); Having said this I am aware of the fact that AVR is not a dedicated receiver+amp for the Music. Would prefer the configuration which help me play my Original Music Audio CDs(.wav) apart from FLAC or 5.1 audio.

2. Good Quality Surround Sound (at a low to medium volume levels) which gives an immersive experience from DVD and Bluray Discs.

3. I would also be connecting my TATA Sky+ HD box to AVR to enjoy MTunesHD and all other HD Movie channels to fully make use of the 5.1 audio content of the respective channels.

4. Planning to spend around 1.1 lac for AVR+Speakers+Sub Woofer.

My Room Size:
============

It is a living room in 'L' shape (length of 26ft), but the placement of the system would be in a rectangular are of 12X14 ft. The viewing distance would be 12ft and only the left side of the rectangle area is open to the remaining area of living room.

The configuration I am planning for:
====================================

1. Denon AVRx1000
2. Boston Acoustics A250 (Floor Standing for Front Left and Right)
3. Boston Acoustics A25 (Bookshelf for Sorround Left and Right)
4. Boston Subwoofer ASW650

I thought of replacing the subwoofer with SVS-PB1000, but it would add up another 30k to the cost which becomes over budget. Also the size of the subwoofer seem to be too huge for my living room.

My Questions and Doubts:
=======================

1. Is the above setup optimum for my requirements (as stated above) or is it an overkill?
2. Does AVR+Speaker Package deliver an immersive experience with the TATA Sky HD feed..? Requests the current owners to share their experience.
3. Does Original Audio CDs(.wav) if played from a Sony PS3 connected to AVR+Speakers deliver an immersive experience for long listening hours without fatigue ?
4. How would be the performance of Boston Acoustics subwoofer for my requirement? Any alternative options?
5. I am aware that AVR is more towards surround sound experience, but I would like to know from the owners, gurus about the Music quality when played in Stereo Mode (through all speakers) at low and medium volumes.
6. After looking at the specs of Denon AVR X1000, it has two pre-outs for Zone 2. Can they be used to connect to a Stereo Integrated Amp at a later point in time? (I have read this from http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/4476-pre-amp-outs-receivers-worth-one-good-best-2.html> )

My Auditions until now:
===================

I had recently auditioned a Pioneer AVR (do not know the exact model) with Boston Acoustics A26 + ASW650. I would say the 5.1 music and Movie surround sound experience was really good. However the music played from Audio CD was not really upto my satisfaction; There was complete absence of the bass. Not sure if something was missing out there. Also, I was not able to completely audition the TATA Sky HD experience from the AVR. The place I have auditioned did not have a Denon

Thanks in Advance....

Regards
Sri

Hi srionline24

Well the setup you are proposing is good. Let's move straight to your addressing your questions:

The AVR you have chosen boasts of power and not real quality performance you would want in an AVR. For this reason, Marantz AVRs truly stand out as they sound excellent for movies / gaming and most imp music....the clarity and warm punch is outstanding....A good blu ray player like OPPO or Pioneer BDP LX 55 or BDP 150 will play your music well including FLAC the way it is intended to be heard.

The Marantz AVR is no nonsense and delivers what users want to hear..the true cinema experience at home. The catch here is to ensure that you have a good system which recognises all DTS / Dolby formats..this means playing original content to get the proper surround and effects.

Not all channels are HD quality and you need to understand that you will get a better sound output from Tatasky as it is Digital ...some cases 5.1 will be outputted. Hence the reason for AVRs to have built in DACs to handle mono or manual signals to make it 5.1 etc etc.

With the tight budget you have, the Bostons ofcourse are a good option and value for money in terms of performance etc...Pioneer AVRs are good but not happening. I have used Yamaha / Bose / Harmon Kardon / Denon / Pioneer for the past 11 years and honestly nothing compares to a Marantz. You should go for the Marantz NR 1504 which has multiple connectivity options.

I have noticed that you have not mentioned about the centre speaker....I assume you are going for the Boston Acoustics A225c

Remember the heart of any home theatre system is the Centre speaker and the subwoofer. The fronts and rears are just passengers who will provide effects during the course of a movie. In terms of subwoofer, Velodyne is supposedly in the business for the past 30 years and is one of the best subwoofers in the world. You could look at 'IMPACT 12' which is one of the best models which will do true justice incase you don't want to go for the Boston ASW650. Velodyne Cost would be between 30-35k.

I use a Marantz NR 1402 with Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speakers with AWG 16 speaker cables (OFC) along with monster HDMI and subwoofer cables with a Pioneer BDP LX 55 Region A player. The experience is awesome and the system works well at 40% volume in a 180 sq ft area. A system can output the ultimate listening experience if the connections, wires, cables are right (gauge / quality) and ofcourse the quality of content being played. I use a 1 TB external HDD with the Blu Ray player which plays all movie formats, music etc....

I would have gone for the B&W CM1 or CM5 or 600 series for speakers as the NR1402 can easily handle it. There are tons of reviews and videos on the net to support the same. Budget constraints have restricted the purchase for now...will surely get them in place soon.

A home theatre dealer in his specially designed computerised DEMO room will make anything sound great to achieve a sales pitch to an end user. Most of us often get disappointed when the system we heard at the store sounds crappy at home.

Here is the reality of todays amplifier makers.

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

I did a good 2/3 months reviews / research before finalising on the system...it has been a year now...the experience is awesome....5 of my friends have literally CHANGED their systems at home and copied me! You can see the thread on Marantz owners etc.

The NR1402 is no more available, but perhaps somewhere you may get the NR1403 or the NR1504 is available with Airplay etc...End of the day it depends on what appeals to you and your budget....go window shopping and take all possible demos....hear your favourite music, watch demo movie scenes involving high velocity action with explosions / crashes / movement (2012 movie Limo scene racing through a crashing city) will help test all frequencies (20hz-20khz) and show the speaker handling capabilities. Hear your favourite music, (Test with Hotel California Live version) (Aao Huzoor for vocals test)

Hope this helps.....all the best

Thanks a lot efernand1.

Yes I missed to mention the centre channel, indeed it is the Boston Acoustics A225c.

I would surely go through the reviews of Marantz 1504 and Velodyne SW and come back with doubts if any.

Once again, thanks a lot for your guidance.

Regards
Sri

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back