Suggestions on upgrading from Dali Oberon 5

AP@1992

Any experience with ELAC FS 267 ? Considering this to upgrade my Dali Oberon 5. Getting a good deal in those.

Even otherwise, any opinion on what should be an worthwhile upgrade over Dali Oberon 5 (apart from Linton/KLH Model 5 since they don't fit into my listening space.

Placement:

Speakers will be placed 6 feet apart. Listening distance is 7/8 feet. The Left speaker will be around 24 inches away from french windows. Right one are far from wall since this is a hall plus kitchen combined. Photos attached

Prefered: Slim Floorstanders or Stand Mounts

Budget: Under 2 lakhs

Equipments:

Amplifier at hand: Rega Elex Mark 4, PM 8006, Boyuurange MT 34 with EL 34 Tubes.
Source - Eversolo DMP A6 MAster Edition
DAC : Weiss Minerva

Attachments

• PXL_20231111_071212056-01.jpeg
    PXL_20231111_071212056-01.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 114
  • PXL_20230601_074800803-01.jpeg
    PXL_20230601_074800803-01.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 114
  • PXL_20230528_111824162-01.jpeg
    PXL_20230528_111824162-01.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 111
For your space and placement, bookshelf speakers may be ideal. On a stand the speakers would get more breathing space around them for dispersing sound.
Right now the oberons are recessed inside hence the sound may get reflected from the shelf beside them.
But for stand mounts, you may need a subwoofer for taking care of the low frequencies.

Last edited:
One of the best all-rounders I have heard. Any particular reason you wanna change?

Either way, if you liked the Oberon 5s, look at the following in your budget:
Paradigm Monitor 6000s, the Kef Q550s, Revel F35s and the Klipsch RP5000.
If you don't mind a good ribbon, the Martin Logan Motion 20 and the Emotivas could also be auditioned.

All of the above are fairly slim, too.
Best

For your space and placement, bookshelf speakers may be ideal. On a stand the speakers would get more breathing space around them for dispersing sound. Right now the oberons are recessed inside hence the sound may get reflected from the shelf beside them. But for stand mounts, you may need a subwoofer for taking care of the low frequencies.
For your space and placement, bookshelf speakers may be ideal. On a stand the speakers would get more breathing space around them for dispersing sound. Right now the oberons are recessed inside hence the sound may get reflected from the shelf beside them. But for stand mounts, you may need a subwoofer for taking care of the low frequencies.
For your space and placement, bookshelf speakers may be ideal. On a stand the speakers would get more breathing space around them for dispersing sound.
Right now the oberons are recessed inside hence the sound may get reflected from the shelf beside them.
But for stand mounts, you may need a subwoofer for taking care of the low frequencies.
Thanks for your suggestion.

During my listening sessions, I pull the Oberons around 2 feet from the wall. That way, they are far from behind wall and no interference between the speakers.

One of the best all-rounders I have heard. Any particular reason you wanna change?

Either way, if you liked the Oberon 5s, look at the following in your budget:
Paradigm Monitor 6000s, the Kef Q550s, Revel F35s and the Klipsch RP5000.
If you don't mind a good ribbon, the Martin Logan Motion 20 and the Emotivas could also be auditioned.

All of the above are fairly slim, too.
Best
Thanks for your suggestions, will look at them.

Yes, Oberons are great.

Some bookshelves I auditioned:

I took demo of KeF LS50 Meta and R3 Meta.

Kef LS 50 Meta: They objectively and/or subjectively donot compare with Dali's. They sound flatter (absence of base) and are not engaging enough. Although, sound stage and separation at their price point is immaculate.

R3 Meta: Serious book shelf speakers. Very detailed but has some obvious coloration here and there. Great base presence. Very engaging and huge sound stage with lovely dynamics. Since these speakers were not run it and since my listening space is not big, I didn't find a big enough difference than Dali for me to upgrade. But those big dynamic swings and great base presence, will shine in a slightly bigger room. Cost is definitely on the higher side. Almost 3 times Dali.

Search goes on, I guess. 🙂

PS: My take on LS50 Meta was based on my testing with Rega Elex Mark IV and PM 8006. Since it's a low sensitivity speaker, with a higher powered amp, results might differ

Some bookshelves I auditioned:

I took demo of KeF LS50 Meta and R3 Meta.

Kef LS 50 Meta: They objectively and/or subjectively donot compare with Dali's. They sound flatter (absence of base) and are not engaging enough. Although, sound stage and separation at their price point is immaculate.

R3 Meta: Serious book shelf speakers. Very detailed but has some obvious coloration here and there. Great base presence. Very engaging and huge sound stage with lovely dynamics. Since these speakers were not run it and since my listening space is not big, I didn't find a big enough difference than Dali for me to upgrade. But those big dynamic swings and great base presence, will shine in a slightly bigger room. Cost is definitely on the higher side. Almost 3 times Dali.

Search goes on, I guess. 🙂

PS: My take on LS50 Meta was based on my testing with Rega Elex Mark IV and PM 8006. Since it's a low sensitivity speaker, with a higher powered amp, results might differ
I too have the Dali Oberon 1 playing with a Rel subwoofer. The sub compensates for the total lack of bass in the small bookshelves.
Anyways all the best in your search.

Hi, even I am in the market for bookshelf speakers. I have a listening area such as yours and am in Mumbai too. Have you finally shortlisted any speakers? Thanks

Hi, even I am in the market for bookshelf speakers. I have a listening area such as yours and am in Mumbai too. Have you finally shortlisted any speakers? Thanks
Sadly, no bookshelf except R3 Meta was able to show appreciable difference over Dali Oberon 5 in my listening space.

If your listening space allows, you can definitely audition Dali Oberon 5. They are sound and they are brilliant. It's only when I start auditioning other speakers, I realised for its size and price, Dali Oberon 5 is a steal.

Any experience with ELAC FS 267 ? Considering this to upgrade my Dali Oberon 5. Getting a good deal in those.

Even otherwise, any opinion on what should be an worthwhile upgrade over Dali Oberon 5 (apart from Linton/KLH Model 5 since they don't fit into my listening space.

Placement:

Speakers will be placed 6 feet apart. Listening distance is 7/8 feet. The Left speaker will be around 24 inches away from french windows. Right one are far from wall since this is a hall plus kitchen combined. Photos attached

Prefered: Slim Floorstanders or Stand Mounts

Budget: Under 2 lakhs

Equipments:

Amplifier at hand: Rega Elex Mark 4, PM 8006, Boyuurange MT 34 with EL 34 Tubes.
Source - Eversolo DMP A6 MAster Edition
DAC : Weiss Minerva
Add IndiqAudio Diamond Achals also in thr list. Rrad good reviews about them by fms.

Any place in Mumbai, where ai can audition these. Have heard rave reviews online about it.
Sorry I am not aware. You may check with the Dali distributor in India.

If you have the gumption, spend something more to get something really nice like Joseph Audio Pulsar or try Burmester B10. The pain is felt only once, but you remain satisfied for a very long time. Just my 2 bits. All the best.

Since you liked Dali, did you try auditioning Dali Opticon6 series? As one of the previous member suggested, you can try auditioning Indiq Achals and their siblings as well, if possible. Best wishes.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back