Suggestions - power amplifer for tweeters

jmascreen

I want to change the quad/F5 from my three way active setup since both are over kill for tweeters.
Please suggest me a power amp with similar sonic performance like the quad 306, the one came on top of my head was amp camp amp.
Any other suggestion I think a max 20 watts one will be sufficient

I want to change the quad/F5 from my three way active setup since both are over kill for tweeters.
Please suggest me a power amp with similar sonic performance like the quad 306, the one came on top of my head was amp camp amp.
Any other suggestion I think a max 20 watts one will be sufficient

If you decide on amp camp amp, then I have one for sale for which I am yet to take pics and put up for sale :)

Mine is modded for 6W*2 with the resistor change to get 1W extra and the enclosure is same as was Raghunadh ran a group buy for us some years back. With so many amps this is lying unused with me for a long time. PM me and we can take it further.

Thanks

If you decide on amp camp amp, then I have one for sale for which I am yet to take pics and put up for sale :)

Mine is modded for 6W*2 with the resistor change to get 1W extra and the enclosure is same as was Raghunadh ran a group buy for us some years back. With so many amps this is lying unused with me for a long time. PM me and we can take it further.

Thanks
Sure will let you know, only reason is heat produced from it.

Already running a F5 and mine is top floor flat, summer is gone to be very hotter already feeling it
I suggest you stick to the same amp as the midrange ans attenuate the tweeters in the Dbx. In an active setup, maintaining amp signature across the spectrum is critical to sound quality

Already running a F5 and mine is top floor flat, summer is gone to be very hotter already feeling it
One good way to gain match is to play one speaker set (left or right) at a time, use a mono track and play with xo and decibel levels of each driver till it sounds like a point source. The bass notes should sound as if coming from the speaker and not the woofer.
Apply the same settings to the other speaker.

Then play them together and look for the centered stereo image and further fine tune to your taste.

Try with a variety of songs from the mellow to the energetic. Tuning an active setup is a long drawn out process and patience can reap great rewards.

I am an out and out go with your ear guy.

A simple multi meter and sine waves will also be helpful in setting gains.

Also since we are using multiple amps, the idle current (DC Bias) is critical (critical in passive setup also, but more so in active) values should match with the specification of the amp. DC bias will have great impact on dynamics (if below threshold, you will miss dynamics, if too high it is bad for the amp chips). Most high end amps allow for adjustment of bias, go though the service manual. You can do this with a multimeter. The adjustment will either be voltage or current (amps).
The other critical adjustment is DC offset. It should ideally be between 0/20 mv). Most modern amps have inbuilt circuits to control this automatically, while some need user intervention. Look into the service manual.

Happy tuning.

One good way to gain match is to play one speaker set (left or right) at a time, use a mono track and play with xo and decibel levels of each driver till it sounds like a point source. The bass notes should sound as if coming from the speaker and not the woofer.
Apply the same settings to the other speaker.

Then play them together and look for the centered stereo image and further fine tune to your taste.

Try with a variety of songs from the mellow to the energetic. Tuning an active setup is a long drawn out process and patience can reap great rewards.

I am an out and out go with your ear guy.

A simple multi meter and sine waves will also be helpful in setting gains.

Also since we are using multiple amps, the idle current (DC Bias) is critical (critical in passive setup also, but more so in active) values should match with the specification of the amp. DC bias will have great impact on dynamics (if below threshold, you will miss dynamics, if too high it is bad for the amp chips). Most high end amps allow for adjustment of bias, go though the service manual. You can do this with a multimeter. The adjustment will either be voltage or current (amps).
The other critical adjustment is DC offset. It should ideally be between 0/20 mv). Most modern amps have inbuilt circuits to control this automatically, while some need user intervention. Look into the service manual.

Happy tuning.
Just learned its not a simple task like rotating the pots and sit back and enjoy.

The comment I got for active setup is it sounding like a dabba

Just learned its not a simple task like rotating the pots and sit back and enjoy.

The comment I got for active setup is it sounding like a dabba

In any speaker, irrespective of the quality of drivers, the most critical is the crossover design. An active setup allows you to tweak this. Properly done the sound quality will be amazing.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back