Suggestions required for a 3000+ lm projector.

vinay2070

Hi Guys, :)

My name is Vinay and I am new to these forums. I need your full fledged support in selecting a projector.
Am planning to donate a new projector to an old age home for video viewing and some rare PowerPoint ppts. I have done my homework, but I still know anything about them. :D

Here are the requirements:
=============================
1) The projector is for 250 people.
2) Viewing hours would be 3 to 5 Hours per day max.
3) The screen size is fixed - 96" wide. Which equals 120" 4:3 diagonal.
4) Inputs to projector should be flexible. Should be able to connect DVD player, simple set top box, or a laptop for simple PPT presentations. Mostly video viewing.
5) There is no viewing time of the day. Can be day or night.
6) The screen will be in an open area with the screen surrounded by a small enclosure which is approx 8 feet deep. Please look at the pic 1 to get an idea. The enclosure is currently a metal mesh which is allowing light inside, we will close this with curtains from all sides to make it a little dark inside.
7)My budget is around 50K. If I can get it around 30K, then I can get 2 of them for different homes ;)

Attachments:
PIC 1: That is the screen and enclosure to keep the screen surrounding dark. As you can see, there is already a pull down screen and speakers ready.

PIC 2: The entire screen housing as seen from outside. That box is 9 to 10 feet wide. As you can see, 2 rods have been welded so that Projector can be mounted there.

PIC 3: How it looks like if you stand inside the screen housing and see outside. People will be sitting here on the ground.

My questions are as follows:
===============================
1) Can a 3000 to 3200 lm projector suffice? If not what is that you recommend. I was thinking of lower lm, since lower lm means greater lamp life and cheaper projectors and cheaper replacement lamps.
In the link that follows, they recommend atleast 4000 lm, is that much required? Projector People : Lumens Guide

2) Will an SVGA projector suffice for video viewing? Can an SVGA projector be used for simple laptop ppt presentation use? If not, am OK going with an XGA Projector.

3) Am looking for a projector with atleast 4500 to 6000 Hrs lamp life. The replacement lamps cost should not be on the higher side. I heard Epson lamps are cheaper???

4) I heard UPS is required in case of power outages to keep lamp and circuitry around it cool. I have an APC BE700Y-IN (the battery is dead, but I will be replacing it with a 30 Ah battery to get an hours backup). Its an UPS with stepped approximation to sine wave. Is that sufficient? OR should I get a pure sine wave ones (More pain for me :eek:)?

5) I stay in Bangalore. Should I get it online or from a shop?

6) Who will install the projector for us? If the projector company does it, should we pay them extra?

7) As you can see in Pic 2, the projector would be mounted on an extended metal rods. I believe dust can enter it on windy days. what kind of enclosure would you suggest? Or do you suggest mounting it every time they use it?

8) Finally considering the above questions, can you suggest me some models and where to buy from?

Looking forward for your replies. Let me know if you need more info! I will be glad to provide it.

Thanks,
Vinay.

Attachments

• PIC 1.jpg
    PIC 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PIC 2.jpg
    PIC 2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 47
  • PIC 3.jpg
    PIC 3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 47
Anybody?

If anybody knows of a projector showroom in Bangalore, where i can see free demos of projectors, please do let me know.

Thanks,
Vinay.

Progress so far:

I finally got some time and patience to go through some projector related information. A lots of it infact! :eek:hyeah:

I also got to see a demo at Vision Next technologies near Indiranagar BDA Complex. It looks like a projector with 2700 to 3200 Lumens should be decent enough. Any more lumens, the bulb life goes down and the projector costs go up. :eek:

The screen there has a standard gain and I am not touching it (Attaching another pic).

Since I came to know that no text will be projected I can now shortlist and buy SVGA projector too. ;)

I also short listed all the well sold projectors in the market worth considering from 2700 to 3200 Lumens and made an Excel list of them. I have uploaded the document that has the info. It also contains a price list of required cables and mounts that are of cheap but acceptable quality(hopefully). Just rename the pdf file to xls and you should be able to use it. This file should be useful for anyone looking for business projectors. The file also has info as to why I rejected other models (in different tabs).

The final short listed projectors are:

Both Hitachi and Epson are solid companies. Epson has an advantage of cheaper lamp (if imported) and free installation from company. The projector prices are also less. Am a bit confused. Any suggestions?

Also I have shortlisted the following accessories:

I also got a quote of 6.5K for installation, 30 ft power cable and 15 Meter RCA cable. And a quote of 41 K for CP-X3030WN projector from Vision next. Which will cost me 47.5K if got installed from them. So am planning to buy stuff online which will cost me 38K. Will there be any advantages buying locally?

Any suggestions/recommendations on the items I have shortlisted are welcome. :)

Attachments

• Projectors.pdf
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 24
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back