Suggestions required for a mid-high end portable wireless speaker system

Eddierockks

Hi fellow FM's, hope you guys are doing fine.

Current background: I have a few speakers right now but each one of them is good in one thing and misses out on the other/s. I currently own the following speakers:

- JBL Flip 2 (2012): VFM and nothing more to say. Obviously the sound is okay for the size of this thing but doesn't satisfy my needs.

USP: Portability.

- Bose Soundock Portable (2012): It has more bass definitely but doesn't have Bluetooth. Supports the same via an additional dongle thou. I got 2 AFM dongles for the same a couple of years ago but misplaced both of them. So looking for a new system that has wireless capabilities integrated in it.

USP: Bass and battery.

- Marshall Stanmore (2014): Absolutely fantastic and I love it but sadly it doesn't have a battery :(

USP: Bass and goes really loud, great punch and dynamics.

Now I am on the lookout for a nice speaker system with following features:

- Portable (literally), I should be able to put it in my bag and take it with me to a friend's place, travel out of station with it, on both personal and business trips.

- Wireless capabilities: Bluetooth is the market wide standard right now. But AirPlay and Bluetooth both in single system are a rare combo. It is not a deal breaker not to have AirPlay in it but it would definitely help if the speaker supports both modules. I suspect that there are current offerings in the market right now, just have to dig more.

- In built battery is a must have feature.

- I am looking to have at least a pen drive input in it. Saw in a magazine similar systems from the house of Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo IIRC that had 2 speakers (detachable kinds, sorry don't remember the model name but it had a fiery orange colour option) with a CD player kind of thing and had BT, pen drive, SD card, etc. features in it. I think that thing was powered thou. But that was some years ago and I think the market would have matured since then. There should definitely be more options that shall suit my needs.

- Budget: Can spend about 40k-50k or even more (flexible of sorts) but it should definitely be worth it! When I bought my Marshall Stanmore 2 years ago, I was pretty sure that this system would rest my cravings for a better speaker further. But I was proved wrong.

Current market research going on about Devialet Phantom (2000US$), Silver Phantom (2,400US$) and another speaker from Sony named SRS-X99 (50k). I have just started reading about them in my free time. Devialet are powered and as it is their website doesn't show an Indian representative. Is there an authorised distributor for Devialet in India? Can I find them on demo somewhere? They are ridiculously priced but I would still love to have a demo if possible.

Just to mention that I am by no means an audiophile and usually listen to all types of music, almost all genres that one can think of. But, I do appreciate good music irrespective of its genre. Recently, I have started acquiring wav and flac files from friends and listening them on my home setup is a delight. I hope that this passion grows further too :)

So what do you guys think? Is there a speaker that ticks all the boxes? Or would there be a compromise in one or the other requirements that I have listed above? Which speaker would offer the best of all worlds? Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bump!

I am assuming that at least somebody from our forum would have had a listen to the Devialets? Or heard about this Sony? If not, what are the other options in and around 50k price point? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

audire.in have Devialet.
Hi I sent a message to Devialet regarding this and one Mr. Vincent from Devialet confirmed that Audire used to be their dealer earlier but they've stopped dealing with them since last year. They also assured that a new distributor will be appointed by end of May, 2016 itself.

During the last two weeks, I was out on a business tour and happened to have some free time at the HK Airport. Visited the Sound & Vision store there to audition the Devialet Silver Phantom and boy I was blown away! It sounded beautiful as I swiped thru various tracks in my playlists. Since it was mounted on a display table close to the aisle passage on the airport, it was very noisy but as much as I could listen to it, I fell in love with the design, the quality and most importantly the SQ. I auditioned it for more than an hour and had no ear fatigue. During this period, I changed my listening position several times but came back impressed each time. Now waiting for Devialet to appoint their representative locally so that I can relive the magic once again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You said that it is a must have for the portable speaker to have a battery.

The Devialet Phantom however doesn't have an inbuilt battery to my knowledge. It is a regular powered wireless speaker. It would also cost significantly more than your stated 40k budget. It retails for $2k, and I think the India cost would be much higher.

I also do not think this is really meant to be a portable speaker.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back