Suggestions required for budget speakers to use with Yamaha RX-V4A

suyogd03

Hi All,
I just got my Yamaha RX-V4A from USA. I'm super excited to see it in action with my projector setup. However, I was unable to bring speaker with it due to luggage limitations. I need expert comments to buy speakers for this AV receiver.
I also want to know if I can use the AV receiver in India without step down transformer.

TA

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_172609.jpg
    IMG_20220902_172609.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi All,
I just got my Yamaha RX-V4A from USA. I'm super excited to see it in action with my projector setup. However, I was unable to bring speaker with it due to luggage limitations. I need expert comments to buy speakers for this AV receiver.
I also want to know if I can use the AV receiver in India without step down transformer.

TA

Check behind the AVR if you have a voltage selector switch 110v or 240v....if not there see whats mentioned on the AVR back panel...if 110v or 220/240v.

Which part of India are you based in? Can share recommendations accordingly

Check behind the AVR if you have a voltage selector switch 110v or 240v....if not there see whats mentioned on the AVR back panel...if 110v or 220/240v.

Which part of India are you based in? Can share recommendations accordingly
Thank you @efernand1,
It says 120V 😕.
I'm from Pune-Maharashtra

Thank you @efernand1,
It says 120V 😕.
I'm from Pune-Maharashtra

In that case you will need to add a transformer to make it work with 220-240v

For speakers what is your budget? How many speakers? 5/7 with sub/ without sub?

Accordingly we can suggest some brands and models new ones and even pre owned used ones where available.

In that case you will need to add a transformer to make it work with 220-240v

For speakers what is your budget? How many speakers? 5/7 with sub/ without sub?

Accordingly we can suggest some brands and models new ones and even pre owned used ones where available.
OK.
I'm looking for 5.1 set in 20-30k ₹.

Please don't buy anything which comes under your budget, if you can share your room details like type of room, dimensions, viewing distance etc. our expert FMs will be able to guide you properly. In another context, the budget you mentioned will not be even suffice for a descent subwoofer. Better go slow building from 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 and then 5.1..

Just my two cents..

OK.
Getting a full 5.1 set in that budget is tough. You can check pre used satelite speaker set in that budget. I remember seeing kef and Polk satelite speaker set on OLX. Will try to hunt and post links if interested.

MaSh

I have been using my Pioneer 1020k receiver with a step down for 12 years now. Even my Polk PSW10 Sub is connected to same step down. Has worked like a charm so far. Waiting for someone to get me the Yamaha V6A aka TSR 700 from Costco for around 450 dollars

since u got the receiver..no chance of getting the speakers too? I have got tall boy speakers in lieu of suitcase....you can slowly add them based on when the opportunity arises

I have the Yamaha 1840 for my mother in the ground floor..plus my setup in the first floor. Trust me...there is a day and night difference between satellite speakers and full blown speakers - even bookshelves are way better than satellites. I am no audiophile and I can hear the difference. Hence as others have advised..buy speaker by speaker as and when you have the budget. Just in case someone from US can get you speakers...below are some good deals in your budget

See Andrew Robinson rave over it

These are routinely on sale for 180 dollars
\

Last edited:
OK.
Do what I did. I got two front speakers first (Towers), then got the matching Center, followed by surrounds.

Your fronts are the most important speakers. Most of the sound comes from the fronts. The Center plays a vital role for movies, makes a world of difference. The surrounds play a minor role, with less than 5% of workload. Any average surrounds would do the job and you wont notice the difference once room setup is dont using the receiver.
Just don't compromise on the front speakers, chasing 5 speakers!

For your budget, i recommend to start off with a pair of Bookshelf speakers. 6 months later pick your Center.

I have been using my Pioneer 1020k receiver with a step down for 12 years now. Even my Polk PSW10 Sub is connected to same step down. Has worked like a charm so far. Waiting for someone to get me the Yamaha V6A aka TSR 700 from Costco for around 450 dollars
This was my exact plan. However, it was out of stock in Costco when my cousin went to buy it :(
since u got the receiver..no chance of getting the speakers too? I have got tall boy speakers in lieu of suitcase....you can slowly add them based on when the opportunity arises
I doubt it because people who carried it from the USA feared customs and taxes. Thoght I got my AVR safe and sound they are still worried about it. Getting it with speakers was next to impossible.
I have the Yamaha 1840 for my mother in the ground floor..plus my setup in the first floor. Trust me...there is a day and night difference between satellite speakers and full blown speakers - even bookshelves are way better than satellites. I am no audiophile and I can hear the difference.
I am planning to buy UMI 800W Step Down Converter 220V to 110V from Amazon. I hope it will work fine. Everyone talks about pure copper winding but god knows what is inside :D
Hence as others have advised..buy speaker by speaker as and when you have the budget. Just in case someone from US can get you speakers...below are some good deals in your budget

This is helpful again. My colleague is traveling by this month-end. I hope he will dare to carry these speakers for me :D
See Andrew Robinson rave over it

These are routinely on sale for 180 dollars
\my
Thank you for your comments. It is really helpful @arnprasad

Looking at exterts comments I feel starting with two front speakers and gradually moving to 5.1 will be the best solution.
But how about getting NS-P41?

Looking at exterts comments I feel starting with two front speakers and gradually moving to 5.1 will be the best solution.

If you feel based on the specs it would suffice your listening area then makes sense. Audition where possible with dealers around you so that you have no regrets later.

This is the golden rule of building a HT setup. This gives you time to understand the components and also give you a taste of how things would be.

MaSh

Hi All,

TA
Hi,
Ideally you should buy the speakers first and then buy the Amp / AVR. As a thumb rule I suggest using 50% of the budget for speakers and then living with them for a long time while other equipment can be upgraded.
In your situation, I would suggest that you fix a budget and then spend many hours doing listening with familiar music. Please visit as many showrooms as you can. Trust your ears is the best test.
As regards the budget - stretch yourself and go above the budget. Speakers is one thing you should not compromise on - I am referring to the front speakers. The surrounds are less important and you can compromise on that in my view. Centre also I do not go overboard on but thats a personal choice. Decide on the sub once you have decided on the main speakers.
Best of Luck!

Hi All,

TA
Without Step down transformer do not connect your AVR to direct power supply.
You can check maxine step down transformer, i am using it for one of the AVR purchased from US and using it for more than 10 years and works fine.

Regarding speaker package it depends on your budget , and there are many threads in HV discussing how to to decide on right speaker package based on your room size and other factors.

If your budget is limited you may consider 5.1/7.1 package from Yamaha, Polk, wharfedale and other brands as well for now and after 5 years consider upgrade. I think to start with this package will work good.
If you are really considering great HT for now, then you can do audition of various brands and choose the right components wisely and build step by step. of course this will add up more time + cost also.

This was my exact plan. However, it was out of stock in Costco when my cousin went to buy it :(
Ok. Costco also had the Onkyo 6050 and a Denon model - 760H i guess..both under 500..but if this is ur first foray in HT..then ur fine..after 5-6 years u can upgrade..as I am typing this..just noticed that the onkyo is back in action https://slickdeals.net/f/16022077-c...l-av-receiver-440-free-shipping?src=frontpage
I doubt it because people who carried it from the USA feared customs and taxes. Thoght I got my AVR safe and sound they are still worried about it. Getting it with speakers was next to impossible.
There was a time when I used to flyout every month - normally Customs dont bother you...except they put a X mark in Chalk on ur luggage. As long as ur ready with bills and all and you answer them confidently...they dont bother. In my case I only used to get AV gadgets.....no phones..no gold...etc. I do understand that someone else getting your stuff might not have the same confidence...but then if they are prepared with all the invoices...they should be good. Now I believe the customs limit has been increased closer to the 50K mark and hence there should be no problem.
I am planning to buy UMI 800W Step Down Converter 220V to 110V from Amazon. I hope it will work fine. Everyone talks about pure copper winding but god knows what is inside :D
Funnily I bought a locally built product on the cheap in SP Road - the Bangalore equivalent of Nehru place in Delhi. Since these are physically heavy sturdy equipment with very few complex electronics - they should not fail you...havent bought one in the last ten years. But if you are planning to buy a Sub also from US since they are cheaper by more than 50%...they will be powered and will work on 110V as well. Hence buy a transformer with two power slots. Pune is an engineering city...so go to your local electronics/electricals hub and ask around.
This is helpful again. My colleague is traveling by this month-end. I hope he will dare to carry these speakers for me :D

Thank you for your comments. It is really helpful @arnprasad
Depending on how close that guy is to you...you have to do prep work. Like firstly watch youtube videos on how heavy and big they are..Visually you will have an idea. Then go to Amazon and couple of other retailers and check out the dimensions of the box - not just weight but also it volume. Most probably he may have to split that into two and get it in place of two suitcases. Then you to contact the airline to check if they will allow such a huge box...etc. Last thing we want to do is cause embarrassment at the check in counter for your friend. Customs will be the last thing I will worry about

Another alternative will be to buy them in pairs or any such configurations to fit the airline specifications. Let me google and find some reasonably affordable and good sized towers for 150 USD a pair or less

Last edited:
A coincidence that I stumbled across this post. Was just recently trying to get rid of my Stereo speakers. Have a look at this in below link. They are Wharfedale 70th anniversary speakers. Let me know if you're interested, based on others' input on this forum:

Also, have been looking to upgrade my existing AVR (also from Yamaha), where did you get the V4A from? and how much did it cost you? (incl shipping and stuff). TIA!

Hi All,

TA
I got a quality transformer from Aulten, my requirement was for USA product, so had a long chat with Aulten executive, just to confirm the product compatibility and quality, they are very good at providing resolution and transformer quality is excellent.
You can contact Aulten voltage converters at 9811597709, you can chat with them on Whatsapp also.
Since you have a yamaha receiver, you can consider, yamaha 8390 tower's for L/R, and yamaha NSP51 as center and surround, you can add subwoofer later, and atmos speakers later, I hope this helps.
Regards
Hope this helps,
Regards

Back