Suggestions with gradual build of a 5.1.4

kenrags

Hi all,

This is my first post in this community and need some suggestions on building a Atmos enabled power house theater.
I own a Sony 5.1 channel home theater system for the last 10+ years and never actually felt like change or upgrade the humble home theater that I bought from Japan.
Anyways, recently to my shock I found the digital optical output port of my Sony receiver broke and the prime purpose of the home theater system is lost. With no ARC HDMI port, it now can not communicate with my TV for streaming movies and music.
So started my hunt for a home theater and started window e-shopping and found the door to the custom audio package from these Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Polk, JBL, etc... I am excited and decided to build a 5.1.4 if not 7.1.4 speaker system.
But, I decided to put a pause to this idea of buying the large tower standing speakers and sub, un till I move to my new house that is under construction.
Hence, started to look for a normal 5.1 HT system. But, the HT system like Yahama 3072, JBL Bar 5.1, Sony ht-g700 that seem to have some decent spec, have their price between $40 ~ $50k which pushed me to think, why do I not build a 5.1.4/7.1.4 in a phased manner.
To begin with I want to buy a 5.1.4/7.1.4 channel AV receiver and use my existing speaker system, un till i move to a new house. Below is the current Sony speaker config. Please suggest with a good AV receiver to begin... Thanks.

Front:
65mm cone type, 3 Ohm, 3.3 Kg floor standing 144 watt speaker
Center:
65mm cone type, 3 Ohm, 0.7 Kg table 144 watt speaker
Rear Surround:
65mm cone type, 3 Ohm, 2.3 Kg floor standing 144 watt speaker
Sub Woofer:
180mm cone type, 1.5 Ohm, 6.5 Kg floor standing 280 watt

You can have a look at Marantz SR5014/5015/6014 & Denon X3600H/X3700H/X4500H/X4700H . Cant go wrong with any of these models, the Denon X3600H/4500H are hard to come by now but hold good value if you can source them. The positioning of these 2 AVR is that Denon is more suited for movies whereas Marantz is more aimed towards music. If you go for X2600H/X2700H you will be little constrained if you feel that the power is not enough from the AVR as there is no provision to couple a power amplifier.

There are plenty of threads in the forum which further dissect the above points in detail, so do read around for threads going back till Jan 2020

Thank you for your advise fLUX and yes I was going through a lot of other threads regarding a suitable AVR that can would be first addition to power the existing Sony speakers.
All I did find out that the no AVR certifies to be comfortably powering the 3 Ohm speakers and 1.5 Ohn Sub. This was a bit disappointing (Did not want to discard these good looking speakers, at least for now) find. The speaker impedance they would need is 4 Ohms...
I guess I will have to eventually replace these to fulfill my bigger dream. Thanks anyway for your suggestions ...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back