Suitability of BIC America F12 along with Wharfedale 220 Speakers in a 2.1 setup for Movies

swamytk

I am planning to add BIC America F12 to my Stereo setup which is used for both movies and music. But I am planning to use proposed Sub only for Movies.

Here is my current setup:
Stereo Amplifier: Marantz PM5005 (Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm RMS): 40 W / 55 W and Frequency response: 10 Hz-50 kHz)
Stereo Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 220 ( 5.1" woofer, Frequency response (+/-3dB): 56Hz - 20kHz and Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m) 86dB)
Room: Size 23' X 12' (Height 9'), Area: 276 sqft, Volume: 2500 cuft
Since I am residing in 3rd floor of an apartment I won't go for huge volume.
Planning to connect Sub through High Level In/Out

My queries are
1. Will BIC F12 suppress/distort my Wharfedale 220 speaker audio? Are the L/R speakers are small for BIC F12?
2. Based on your experience in buying this Sub, what is the right (reasonable) price to pay? Since ProAudioHome's online price is just MRP, I ignore that price.
3. In general do you think it can be a good 2.1 setup for watching Movies? FMs opinion helped me a lot earlier too. Please pour in your suggestion.

Last edited:
For a Stereo amp that has no dedicated Subwoofer Out port, you would need to ensure that you get a sub (Irrespective of brand) with High Level connections which help in Stereo amp connection,

Once these connections are done, based on what speakers are being used as L+R and their capability to output low bass....you can adjust the frequency on the sub. Placement of subs also determines the output and boominess....please consider all this.

Recommended to see some Audioholics videos over Youtube to understand High level connections and bass adjustments before investing. If you can borrow a sub from a friend which has High level connections, try it out for a couple of days to evaluate the playback experience....

Jamsticks (based in Bengaluru) also sell BiC America subs.....

Whatever signals (Analog or Digital) are fed to the amp...it will be outputted as 2.0 (L+R) Experience would be like an enhanced TV playback with some punch. You may also want to consider possibly instead of getting a subwoofer, get better Bookshelf speakers which have high sensitivity levels and good low bass output.

As you maybe aware, we have dedicated threads of first hand user experience and reviews on HFV....there are threads of Marantz / BIC America etc. available where you may find a lot of information which may address your queries.

At last I just pulled off with Sub decision. Though I wished to have BIC America F12, unable to negotiate to my budget of 25K. My original favourite Yamaha YST-315 was available in htstore, ordered one. Being poor in negotiation I am not able to negotiate to less than online price of 25K.

I would like to thank @MaSh and @efernand1 for detailed input.

At last I just pulled off with Sub decision. Though I wished to have BIC America F12, unable to negotiate to my budget of 25K. My original favourite Yamaha YST-315 was available in htstore, ordered one. Being poor in negotiation I am not able to negotiate to less than online price of 25K.

I would like to thank @MaSh and @efernand1 for detailed input.

Welcome.....keep checking For Sale section and OLX....you never know...you may just be able to get a BIC America sub in the near future and fulfill your wish.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back