Suitable amp for Bose 5.1 speaker system?

setu_garg

I am looking for an amp in the range of <30k for Bose 5.1 speaker system.

There are 2 systems - Acoustimass 6 Series III (56k) or Acoustimass 10 Series IV (36k).

My primary purpose will be listening to music from my iPod and occasionally watching movies. Which amp should I go for? Any info on which of the above two speaker systems is better will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

HTML:
hey, hey, hey, Rs 30K is way, way too much!! 

The cheapest 5.1 AVR (not a 7.1) on the market will do. Now - its all up to you which of these brands you fancy, based on "your pride of ownership". But if I were you, I'll try my best to find one under Rs 15k. 

And for hooking up the 5 satellites to the precious AVR, be it the cheaper Acoustimass 6 or the more expensive 10, get the cheapest Bell wire, i.e. 'calling bell 2-core wire' which shouldn't cost you more than Rs 5/- a metre (suggest you buy a roll of 300ft that will be handy) - anything fancier & you are wasting your money. 

Once done, hook up the iPod & believe me, even Steve Jobs would start jiving

One should not make a mockery of a forum member for his querry about a product about which he may not know about, you either advice him properly or dont.

Since your preference is for music i would suggest Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo in that order.

Regards

sub

Video: Panny 32 LCD, PS3, Sony DVP-NS78H, Samsung DVD-P365H, WDTV, Big TV.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V661, Sansui G-5000, Hand Made Tower for stereo, Pioneer Linear Power for HT with Onkyo SL-107 powered sub.

There are 2 systems - Acoustimass 6 Series III (56k) or Acoustimass 10 Series IV (36k).

My primary purpose will be listening to music from my iPod and occasionally watching movies. Which amp should I go for? Any info on which of the above two speaker systems is better will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

As it will be ore of music you can for for denon amp they will work well with the set up and should sound good, the starting range should not cost more than 20k.

Just an advice rather than going for bose in the same pricing you can go for other brand like KEF , Polk and others which will sound great. Just audition other manufacturers before buying bose.

@audio_engr I am sorry if I sounded absurd and funny. Can you please tell me where I am wrong? I would really appreciate if you can tell me if any of my choices is incorrect. That will really help me in making a decision. After all, that's what we all are here for, isn't it?

I also read somewhere that marantz AVRs are recommended for music. Is Denon better than them?

Also, people seem to be discouraging Bose speakers in this forum generally. Any specific reason? I know they are expensive, but are they low on audio quality as well compared to other brands?

And since it will be virtually impossible to audition these speakers with the said amps, can someone give me some model numbers for AVRs to choose from?

Thanks!

They are very low compared to the prices.
If you have not bought ,just decide your total budget and visit different showrooms and you will realise the difference yourself!!!

Also, people seem to be discouraging Bose speakers in this forum generally. Any specific reason? I know they are expensive, but are they low on audio quality as well compared to other brands?
That is because 'Bose' is a total sham. Irrespective of price, their speakers are crap and pretty much anything else in the market is a better value for money than 'Bose'.

Bottom line is, if you have not bought your speakers yet, then stay away from 'Bose'.

Last week I did an Installation of Denon 1910 with an existing Bose AM 10 system of my client's and the results were good enough for Movies side of things, but as far as Music is concerned I have suggested my client to go in for a pair of BS or FS speakers to be a part of the Speaker B terminal of the AVR and then enjoy both movies through BOSE and Music thorugh the Speaker B options.
In your case too if you already have Bose AM system then you can go in with the Denon 1610 AVR which is avaliable for 29.9K MRP through ProFX dealers.

Thanks in advance!

Sir,

Since you are more for music my choice is for Marantz and then Denon. Regarding Bose speakers they are expensive and for that money tonal quality
should be more than similarly priced Brands . I can say that they lack Mid Range frquencies ,when compared to others Branded speakers, which occupy good range of frequency spectrum.

Regards

Sethu in 80-100 K you can get

1) Good advanced AVR with 7.1 Out
2) 7.1 Speakers ( SBose still not offering 7.1 Speakers -just chked their US site)
3) Decent ipod dock
4) Decent interconnects and wires
5) A Blue Ray player for 15 K Which will play CD & DVD's too

Here you may get a 10 to 12 Inch subwoofer giving away bass BOSE cannot imagine ....it has 2 or 3 5.5 Inch speakers cannot match 12 inch sub

also learn here ,in case you have acess to UK you can get premium onkyo dock,put all music on ipod in lossless format ,get a good avr and you will hear music of lifetime!!!( By connecting the dock digitally!)
and if you will be buying onkyo AVR you can use a single remote

Onkyo ND-S1 digital iPod dock: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Bose ,like many american products is a marketing product ......coke is like coloured water does not add any value ,or like GM cars which tried to create halo ,but never improved quality or fuel efficiency ,,,,it depends on marketing and superlative claims!

You guys are so right. I went to another showroom and checked out Jamo speakers with a Sherwood amp and they were so much better than Bose!

And they were the discontinued Jamo S 406 HCS 1 !

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I am gonna go to some decent shops around the city and check out all the other options available before I make a decision :).

Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it :).

You guys are so right. I went to another showroom and checked out Jamo speakers with a Sherwood amp and they were so much better than Bose!

And they were the discontinued Jamo S 406 HCS 1 !

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I am gonna go to some decent shops around the city and check out all the other options available before I make a decision :).

Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it :).

Now thats exactly why forums exist .... well done boys .. :clapping:

Just got this out from memory, on TV we used to have an advertisement
"yeh nahin woh!jab wahi safedi wahi jhaag kam damon mein mile toh koi yeh kyon le, woh na le?" :)

Hi

HTML:
< sub > : If you happen to read along this Thread, you'll notice how ONE MORE SOUL has be rescued from a bad purchase decision. 

So - regardless of mockery or whatsoever, the job was accomplished!!

Atta boy keep it up and this is the way it should be rather than other way around.

Regards

sub

Video: Panny 32 LCD, PS3, Sony DVP-NS78H, Samsung DVD-P365H, WDTV, Big TV.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V661, Sansui G-5000, Hand Made Tower for stereo, Pioneer Linear Power for HT with Onkyo SL-107 powered sub.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back