Superzoom digital camera

hseplak

Hi,
I really don't know if this is the right forum to start a discussion,i think it was some other site/forum related to hifivision,there used to be an ad on the home screen of hifivision,anyway,i want to buy a superzoom camera and i have selected/zeroed down a few,
1)Sony hx 100v
2)Canon sx 40hs
3)panasonic dmc fz150
4)nikon p500
5)fujifilm finepix hs10
The second generation of these cameras
a)Sony hx200 v
b)nikon p510
I would like you guys help me select the best superzoom amongst the above list.My primary requirement would be best zoom,best anti shake qualities when hand held,best video mode,fine crisp pictures.
Thanks.

man with cams like hx100 and sx40hs you are keeping fuji hs10.. even the hs30 is out now..

if you want good result in auto more pick a hx100v ..

if you wanna try manual modes. get a fuji hs30 exr else sx-1

stay away with canon superzoomers they got issue with purple lining at far end of zoom.

nikon p series is the worst out of the bunch.. dont even think bout it..

instead of fz150 look for fz45. just that you wont be able to record 1080p and some fancy stuff but fz45 is darn good.

another personal suggestion after using a superzoomer for more than an year is..

you will never use the zoom.. trust me. after 10x you will need a tripod that is pratically impossible for we are not making careear in photography.

better get a entry level dslr for the same price with a 18-55 lens and add lenses once you get the finessee of manual modes.

I am not much into photography, but as per my experience...I would recommend to go for Canon SX40HS (No. 2 from your list). It has best Zoom among its competitors in same range. And yeah...it has better Anti Shaking qualities than others.

I am not much into photography, but as per my experience...I would recommend to go for Canon SX40HS (No. 2 from your list). It has best Zoom among its competitors in same range. And yeah...it has better Anti Shaking qualities than others.

zoom cannot be considered at the cost of quality.

and the stabilization is of diffrent types.

electronic (worst of all )
sensor shift ( works well but not the best )
optical( best out of the lot)

but at 20x and above using any of these with hand held i doubt you will be happy after looking at the pic on a big monitor for you will see lot of noise.

HI,
Thanks for writing,please do keep the inputs coming,and yes i can sacrifice a bit of zoom for quality of pictures,but some sort of gimmicky features can be included,hence some of the different digital sites recommend panasonic dmc fz150 as the best camera, your say on this?

Superzoom and Crisp PQ from a Point and Shoot is a dream one can have. Do not fall for megapixel / ultrazoom if you want crisp pictures matching DSLR quality. Do check canon S or G series.

Sent you a PM with my 2 cents.

In a nut shell if you want a long term solution then do give a budget DSLR a good thought.

IMHO, Zoom, megapixels, connectivity, smile/face recognition and other features fall short when you compare it with a no nonsense DSLR.

With DSLR you have complete manual control possible (the ultimate thing in photography).

DSLRs sensors are huge as compared to that of prosumers (it will be size of your little finger nail)

Some things that DSLR can do that a point and shoot or even prosumer or mega zoom cam can only dream of are (unless the prosumer is really good having some features of the DSLR equivalent)
1. Amazing DOF (depth of field)
2. Controlling shutter speed (to get long exposures or capture very fast action in 1/1000 of sec or more usually)
3. Wide array of lenses to choose from (macro, zoom, etc)
4. Capability to shoot in RAW format. what the sensor sees. You can use editing software to adjust contast, color, brightness and what not.

Just wanted you to be aware of these before you take decision hence thought it was imp. to share this with you. :)
You should not feel I should have known better before :)

Best luck!
Enjoy clicking! :)

Assuming you stick to the criteria mentioned above - "My primary requirement would be best zoom,best anti shake qualities when hand held,best video mode,fine crisp pictures"

Best zoom does not necessarily translate into longer zoom, as rightly pointed out by 'theironhorse', you need to consider the usable zoom and other parametres. Current generation superzoom flaunt 24x to 36x, but in reality you will hardly use anything above 20x. The lens in all these bridge cameras aren't sharp enough beyond 18x. Quality of image stabilisation is another issue that creeps in beyond this range. In terms of higher usable zoom, image stalisation and quality of picture @ long zooms, I would rate Canon high > Panasonic > Fuji and Olympus, Nikon being the worst. I dont have much experiance with Sony. Recent Canons are not as good as the two generation old models. The best of the series was SX10IS and then SX20IS. Thereafter the new releases are just average. Try and get a used SX10IS (approx 15K, note all other models sell for less price, that should implicitly indicate something to you), that will serve you more for still pics than any other other camera (current or last three years models). You can find several reviews comparing this model with the recent models from Canon / across brands. The only flip side it does not have high definition movie recording facility (which in your case in a criteria) + 4 AA size batteries which run out in 400 shots (manual mode) :sad:
A review by me
CANON POWERSHOT SX10 IS Review, Price, Model, Picture, Quality, Battery, An awesome bridge camera, India - MouthShut.com

Video: Fujifilm HS series are all manula zooms (barrel based zoom like SLR/DSLR lenses), hence it will cause camera shake (even with stabilisation on), unless you have very sturdy hands. Overall the HS20EXR, HS30EXR and HS40EXR are all good still cameras for the price, given the competition. They are much better in low light compared to all bridge superzooms.

Fine crisp pictures : In bright daylight most of premium superzooms will give similar results except Nikon and Fuji (they are soft, not sharp whatever be the condition). However low light performance can be very different. Low light, Fuji rules followed by Canon and Panasonic. In a bright day, most of these bridge cameras will outperform budget / entry level DSLR...and I'm firm on this. Note: I mentioned budget / entry level DSLRs only.

Budget DSLR Vs Premium bridge superzooms : Unless and untill you are doing lot of low light shooting, bridge will outperform budget DSLR. For low light performance, bridge will terribly loose to the DSLRs. Note the overall package is something that premium superzooms are striving on compared to a budget DSLR. To get a reach of a superzoom (even if it is 20x, 560mm equivalent on DSLR) you will have to shell hefty money, add to this a macro lens as well (which most of the superzooms are well capable of). When price of all this is added budget DSLRs actually changes the segment and cannot be compared with a superzoom bridge.

Nikon: I will not keep them in the list of prefered superzoom bridge cameras at all. Nikon manufactures horrible superzooms. A review posted by me for old version P110
NIKON COOLPIX L110 Review, Price, Model, Picture, Quality, Battery, Nikon Coolpix L110 no way!, India - MouthShut.com

So my list of Superzooms will be like this
Canon SX10IS or SX20IS or Panasonic Fz150 or Fuji HS30 EXR
Panasonic & Fuji other models + Canon S120IS
Olympus
Sony
No No to NIKON.

If you can do away with long zooms and can shell out a bit more, then do check out micro3/4 cameras, Canon G series, Fuji XS series.

Do update us on your purchase.

With all due respect to your views about superzooms and budget DSLRs I differ a lot with your suggestion
IMHO, mega (added by me) Zoom, megapixels,smile/face recognition and other features fall short when you compare it with a no nonsense DSLR.

Completely agree! Avoid the non sense features unless you are very fond of them.

With DSLR you have complete manual control possible (the ultimate thing in photography).

Available in most of the superzooms and even good compacts with rather simplistic GUI. Manual mode fruitfull only if the user knows how to use them 'appropriately', or he is willing to learn them, be it DSLR or superzoom.

DSLRs sensors are huge as compared to that of prosumers (it will be size of your little finger nail)

Completely agree rather smaller than the nail of little finger. Hence the performance shows up in low light conditions.

Some things that DSLR can do that a point and shoot or even prosumer or mega zoom cam can only dream of are (unless the prosumer is really good having some features of the DSLR equivalent)
1. Amazing DOF (depth of field)
2. Controlling shutter speed (to get long exposures or capture very fast action in 1/1000 of sec or more usually)
3. Wide array of lenses to choose from (macro, zoom, etc)
4. Capability to shoot in RAW format. what the sensor sees. You can use editing software to adjust contast, color, brightness and what not.

- Yes DOF is 'poor' compared to a P&S
- Even a moderate P&S comes with 15s to 1/4000 exposure
- Except ultra wide and fish eye lens (which are anyway expensive), superzooms has it all.
- RAW is common in most of the superzooms. I'm assuming 'hseplak' is shelling around 18-25k for his purchase.

If the user is good in understanding his/her camera, then he/she can very well click 'reasonably' sharp pictures with P&S camera.

So my list of Superzooms will be like this
Canon SX10IS or SX20IS or Panasonic Fz150 or Fuji HS30 EXR
Panasonic & Fuji other models + Canon S120IS
Olympus
Sony

Hi,
Thanks for writing so much, but where can i find canon SX10IS or SX20IS, i think they have stopped manufacturing them, and i don't want to buy second hand.
Thanks.

"Thanks for writing so much" - :lol: I get a feeling it was too much!

Unfortunately for SX10IS or SX20IS, buying from the used market is the only way to go. Check out if locally anyone is selling and physically check it. That should be more than sufficient. Besides keep in mind, any camera you purchase today, you will pay a premium for it being new (both the purchase and model) and it will take max one year to be outdated. Read about the camera market in last 3-4 years.
Canon - SX10IS (2008-2009), SX20IS (2010), SX30IS (2011), SX40HS (2012)
Fuji - HS10 (2009-2010), HS20EXR (2010-2011), HS30EXR (2011-2012)
Panasonic > Olympus > Sony all have similar lineup.
Surprisingly all of them are sold at almost similar prices in the used market today, irrespective of the model and year (exceptions are there). Don't take my word, but search sulekha.com, olx, quickr, other photography forums.

According to me take a dive in the used market, it gives much more value in return.

dont bother much . .pick yp a fz40 / fz45 and you will be at peace. the bigger brother fz100/fz150 boasts a cmos sensor however was not able to truimph the ccd of the fz45.

fz40 should come handy within 15k new else hx100v / hs30 should be around 18k new.

grab either of them. sony does not shoot raw and is better than fuji is auto mode.
when it comes to manual modes than fuji excels.

as stated the previous gen canon's we good.. sx30IS was the worst of the bunch including nikon p500.

again i would repeat instead of 19k if budget permits. pull the trigger once and you wont regret getting an entry level dslr.this is fetch you more peace of mind.

zoom is all drama for a few days. would you do bird/ animal photography ?? maybe ??

all i put my zoom of my bridge is to click moon pictures and got fed up after a few days. now its just used to a max of 5x that you will get even in the base dslr lens 15-55 IS nikon/ 18-55 VR II canon.

base dslr lens 15-55 IS nikon/ 18-55 VR II canon.
- I guess you meant 15-55 IS Canon and 18-55 VRII Nikon and not the vice-versa?

BTW why not share few 'best' shots taken by these superzooms that we (contributors) own? It might help OP to some extent. May be one of each low light, wide angle and large apperture. I'm not sure if I can understand a telephoto sample without understanding the surrounding, where it was clicked. What say?

The problem with any "Zoom" lens is that the large the zoom range the most distortion is added to the images in the extremes ends of the zoom.
So please remember the longer the "range" of the lens the less sharper images you will get on the extreme focal lengths.

Hence the fixed focal length lenses like 50mm, 100mm, etc are considered as optically the best. These are fixed focal length.

Choosing super-zooms/prosumers over DLSRs is just a matter of convenience. There are many Pro shooters who have top of the range DSLRs but who always carry a prosumer just for the sheer convenience factor mostly as a backup cam.
For many the convenience factor is being able to creatively adjust the camera manually.

Just my 2 cents :)

- I guess you meant 15-55 IS Canon and 18-55 VRII Nikon and not the vice-versa?

BTW why not share few 'best' shots taken by these superzooms that we (contributors) own? It might help OP to some extent. May be one of each low light, wide angle and large apperture. I'm not sure if I can understand a telephoto sample without understanding the surrounding, where it was clicked. What say?

yup i missed on that part.. thanks for correcting.

shots can certainly be posted. however to compare all the cams we need them side by side clicking the same picture at same settings. there are few websites that have got good info for the same.

steves-digicams , dpreview and few more..

i have used fz40(friend) , fuji hs20 (mine) , hs100v (friend) and few more dslr . based on that i made few points.

to use on auto mode.. i figured fz40 to be the best of the bunch inspite of being older model than hs20 and hx100v.

for manual fuji is the way to go. for more zoom and extra features like 3d and geo-tagging and more with good pic quality .. hx100v it is.

for these cams give you option for manul focus with a ring as well but these are not pure mechinal ring but fly-by-wire hence electronically controlled.

The problem with any "Zoom" lens is that the large the zoom range the most distortion is added to the images in the extremes ends of the zoom.
So please remember the longer the "range" of the lens the less sharper images you will get on the extreme focal lengths.

Hence the fixed focal length lenses like 50mm, 100mm, etc are considered as optically the best. These are fixed focal length.

Choosing super-zooms/prosumers over DLSRs is just a matter of convenience. There are many Pro shooters who have top of the range DSLRs but who always carry a prosumer just for the sheer convenience factor mostly as a backup cam.
For many the convenience factor is being able to creatively adjust the camera manually.

Just my 2 cents :)

yes pro photographers and wildlife photographers do use the same for the ease and having a 700 mm zoom on a slr will cost you over a lakh and few kg of lens to set it p another few minutes. you might loose out on the scene.

prime lenses ( fixed ) are the best for they give the sharpest of images with good DOF(bokeh)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back