Support after warranty period with LCD Tvs - Panasonic and Sony

anandbj76

Hi guys,

In some forums I read @ people experiencing problems with the Pany LCDs after warranty period. Not sure to what level they are true.
People have said that they had to actually throw off the LCD because the price asked by Panasonic to fix the problem was more than price of a brand new LCD of Pany!!!

I am really concerned with this. I have almost zeroed down on Pany X10 / X15.

Any first hand experiences of Panasonic LCD TV owners?

On second thoughts, I am considering Sony S550A and V550A because a dealer in PUne told me that if there is a problem with a Sony LCD - even after warranty period, they offer a new one at 1/2 the price. Is it true?

Regards

Thanks for your reply!

What @ Sony support beyond warranty? Is what the dealer told me true?

For me the decision is tough because I can get a 100Hz model at around 39k, whereas for sony I would get only 32S550 which is not 100Hz and not HD ready at around 38k.
Anyways, I think I will check X15 in showroom and then only decide.
If the difference in fast moving objects is not much, I think I would settle for X10 model then...

Thanks!

Bad luck can cause " n " no of prob,otherwise no complaint with LCD.
Prob can be due to power fluctuations,spikes etc.
Miner prob can be solved lator.

Bad luck can cause " n " no of prob,otherwise no complaint with LCD.
Prob can be due to power fluctuations,spikes etc.
Miner prob can be solved lator.
We need to consider "unlucky" cases as failures are low but when it happens -it is a royal pain!
Also Panasonic despite 10+ years prresence in India is not able to establish in the market like Samsung , LG or Sony - Strange comparing the massive following it had in grey market.
Also in forum it was mentioned somewhere that pana does not offer additional warentee - can anyone confirm? As I was offered addnal warentee for my LG LCD - WHICH THE SERVICE PERSON TOLD ME COVERS MOST IMPORTANT PART - THE PANNEL!
And you cannot claim that "Japs" always make "highest quality" goods! World's one of the biggest quality fiasco happened with Dell ( "Best laptops claimed by some!) It had massive battery recall where the batteries were supplied by Sony!And I think Nokia India's battery issue was in the Matsushita ( Panasonic) batteries!!:lol::lol:

All in all, do you guys suggest Pany with this background?

I am utterly confused, and getting inclined towards Sony for this reason now....
At least they have been in market for a long while. I have not heard anybody reporting problems / issues with sony except price!

Service wise I would rank the companies

1)Samsung
2)Sony
3)Panasonic

My experiences with Panasonic service have been pretty bad. With Sony and Samsung it was way better.

Panasonic LCD/Plasma though they are great TV's does have reliability issues as been mentioned in numerous forums so the safer option would be Sony.

Reliability issue with Pana( you can get it with any other brand) may be disputed but if you are the unlucky one then you should atleast have good after sales support which in my opinion Panasonic India does not have.

That is where I would vote for Sony or Samsung any day.

1)Samsung
2)Sony
3)Panasonic

My experiences with Panasonic service have been pretty bad. With Sony and Samsung it was way better.

Panasonic LCD/Plasma though they are great TV's does have reliability issues as been mentioned in numerous forums so the safer option would be Sony.

Reliability issue with Pana( you can get it with any other brand) may be disputed but if you are the unlucky one then you should atleast have good after sales support which in my opinion Panasonic India does not have.

That is where I would vote for Sony or Samsung any day.

Thanks Rem! I think I got the answer I am looking for. So it is Sony!!!!

:)

Any thoughts on whether I should choose Sony 32S550 or 32V550? S series is HD Ready and V series is full HD.
Whatever I have read so far tells me that at 32" Full HD and HD Ready difference is not much noticable also ....

As of now, there is no HD content available on Tata sky. Even if it gets available say after 2 - 3 years, would a 32" HD ready TV show poorer images as compared to 32" Full HD?

Any thoughts for gaming? Say if I buy a Sony PS2, would Full HD add more fun? Or would HD Ready and Full HD score near about the same there also?

S series is costing approx 37k and V series is about 43k. I was wondering that I can use that 6k to actually buy a PS :D..

Regards

Sony V series is best for budget & performance & second comes panasonic VFM models ,cheaper than Sony.

I have seen some comments on some other forums @ panny Tvs stopping to work after the warranty period and hence wanted to check...

On second thoughts, even if Sony stops working after warranty, the situation would be same I guess :(....
So why not panny then?
That's the reason I am lookung for user experiences. Sometimes, the competitors play this trick and post comments in such forums to downplay a good product.

For checking the support mechanism, I wrote to both Sony and Panasonic, and surprisingly, got a response from Panasonic in one day, but no response from Sony (other than just an automated email).

With this, I tend to incline towards panny. At least I am saving a decent amount initially. Anyway if bad luck is coming your way, you would have saved some moeny for that, isn't it?

I will have to decide by tomorrow morning - that is when I am going to shop with cheque-book :)

Regards

Thanks Rem! I think I got the answer I am looking for. So it is Sony!!!!

:)

Any thoughts on whether I should choose Sony 32S550 or 32V550? S series is HD Ready and V series is full HD.
Whatever I have read so far tells me that at 32" Full HD and HD Ready difference is not much noticable also ....

As of now, there is no HD content available on Tata sky. Even if it gets available say after 2 - 3 years, would a 32" HD ready TV show poorer images as compared to 32" Full HD?

Any thoughts for gaming? Say if I buy a Sony PS2, would Full HD add more fun? Or would HD Ready and Full HD score near about the same there also?

S series is costing approx 37k and V series is about 43k. I was wondering that I can use that 6k to actually buy a PS :D..

Regards
Anand I second Spiros opinion on this V series is better. Even though HD content is not available in India at the moment its better to be future proof than say look for another Tv when HD content comes to India :)

Though with 32inch the resolution doesnt matter as much as if you are buying a 42 inch + model.

to be on the safer side stick with the V series.

As for the argument that Sony & Samsung can also have problems after the warranty period is valid but then thats where after sales service comes in and my experiences with Panny service centers in India have been nothing short of pathetic. Apart from the service Panny plasma & LCD by all means are great VFM

Atleast with sammy & sony you can hope to get it serviced or replaced in time. Just my view based on my experiences others may have diff opinion.

FHD / HD ready won't give much difference with PS2. Since PS2 resolution is at most equal to standard DVD's.
Saw an ad today, that Panasonic is offering 3 yr warranty (maybe on select models). Might be worth checking out.

1)Samsung
2)Sony
3)Panasonic

You seem to be one unlucky person to have serviced across 3 different manufacturers!

FHD / HD ready won't give much difference with PS2. Since PS2 resolution is at most equal to standard DVD's.
Saw an ad today, that Panasonic is offering 3 yr warranty (maybe on select models). Might be worth checking out.

The extended warranty scheme seems to be only for plasma TVs. I was checking out the terms and conditions in today's times ad

You seem to be one unlucky person to have serviced across 3 different manufacturers!

lol mars; I dont know wat you think there

Lemme explain we 2 Sony Tv's back in my native and we have had problems with the older one( a 25yr old Trinitron) and service for that was ok.

I got a Sammy here in Blr and due to lightning it had some problem and it taken by the Sammy service ppl in the morn and fixed by evening they had to change some part. Agreed that the delay in servicing can also depend on how complicated the problem is.

With Panasonic in some other thread I have mentioned I havent serviced any TV's with them but chord less phones and music system and my experience have been bad. Either they would come up with non availability of parts or some other problem and twice I have had experience where in they have kept it with them for more than a month.

So I thought it would be nice to share my experience with others in the forum. Of course I cant be this descriptive and prove the credibility of my comments everywhere.

Trust me I don't get paid by Sony or Samsung nor do I work in one of their stores, m a DBA by profession trying to share my views based on my own as well as my friends experiences.

Hope this clears the air Mars. :D

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back