Surge Protector for HiFi ??

vinod_david

Banned
Banned
Hi.

Should I buy MX surge protector 5 socket around 500 rs. or just ordinary ones with 5 socket from MX around 200 rs. ?? - or any other brands better than these, pls suggest :)

Last edited:
Imho...............none!

So, how do I connect the UK type flat pins of amp and cdp, and indian type pins of TV, DVD, STB... to mains, got only one three pin socket on wall ?

I don't have a clue how to go about connecting various plugs to mains, pls help.:)

David:

What you are looking for is an extension cord or a power strip. I will not suggest MX. There is a brand called Oxygen. It is one of the best power cords I have come across. It does not have have anything except a external fuse. Power conditioning has to be done before the power strip.

Please check the following link where I have a photo of this.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/1098-humming-2.html

You live in Chennai, right? You should be able to get it in Ritchie Street or even Mercy Electronics.

Cheers

David:

What you are looking for is an extension cord or a power strip. I will not suggest MX. There is a brand called Oxygen. It is one of the best power cords I have come across. It does not have have anything except a external fuse. Power conditioning has to be done before the power strip.

Please check the following link where I have a photo of this.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/1098-humming-2.html

You live in Chennai, right? You should be able to get it in Ritchie Street or even Mercy Electronics.

Cheers

Venkat:

Thanks for the heads-up on Oxygen power strip, I was very close to buying MX today, actually. Yeah, live in Chennai, actually will be good if there is all-in-one power strip plus surge protector in Oxygen, will check in Ritchie, and Mercy at Velachery is small (where I live), heard there is a big one at Thiruvanmiyur, any idea ?:)

Try the Belkin Surgemaster superior or gold series. Available at STAPLES In Bangalore. Should be availabe at some stores in Chennai. About Rs 1200 onwards.

Hi,

Mercy has a big shop at Tambaram also. This is bigger than the other branches at Adyar and Tiruvanmiyur.

Venkat:

Thanks for the heads-up on Oxygen power strip, I was very close to buying MX today, actually. Yeah, live in Chennai, actually will be good if there is all-in-one power strip plus surge protector in Oxygen, will check in Ritchie, and Mercy at Velachery is small (where I live), heard there is a big one at Thiruvanmiyur, any idea ?:)

Is there a way to test surge protection gear (of course without destroying the equipment:) )
There is a listing on Sumaria for Monster surge protector for 8k. Is it worth it?

ok - will ask what matters to me.
What is a good surge protector going to cost, and is there a way to test that before ending up actually frying my expensive stuff.
Please suggest such a surge protector - that I can buy in Delhi.
Also - some good noise filter (or CVT with noise filter).

regards

Hi Vinod and anm,
Vinod since u have only one 3 pin socket as ur mains why not make an extension block by buying say 3 5amp anchor roma or equivalent sockets, and the clip on strip and box, and some finolex or polycab 2.5 sq.mm. 3 core cable, and 3 pin plug. Any decent electrician will make it for u in a jiffy and will cost u about Rs 500/-. IMO better than most extension strips in the market. Of course u get no surge or spike protection but then i wonder how these so called surge protect power strips actually work and whether they really protect your equipment at all.

Anm 8K can get u a 2KVA ARGO (pioneers and one of the best) servo stabilizer with over/under voltage cut off(170 to 270V range) and spike protection. This will work. Problem is it wont look as cool as the monster product!
Regards

Last edited:
any idea where to get it in Delhi?
I will have to find out ways to hide the stuff that's ugly and project the stuff that's cool.

Hahaha sure display all ur cool gear. Argo is a mumbai based co which started off manufacturing transformers in the 1950 s. The nos are 022-23081405/06. Call and check delhi availability. With them u can be sure that the 2KVA is a 2KVA which is not the norm when u buy cheap/local stabilizers. The Spike guard and the over/under voltage cut off are optionals but the entire package is about 8K.
If u want clean power then i guess an isolation transformer is the best bet but the benefits will depend on the quality of power u get in the first place.
Regards

Hi Vinod and anm,
Vinod since u have only one 3 pin socket as ur mains why not make an extension block by buying say 3 5amp anchor roma or equivalent sockets, and the clip on strip and box, and some finolex or polycab 2.5 sq.mm. 3 core cable, and 3 pin plug. Any decent electrician will make it for u in a jiffy and will cost u about Rs 500/-. IMO better than most extension strips in the market. Of course u get no surge or spike protection but then i wonder how these so called surge protect power strips actually work and whether they really protect your equipment at all.

Anm 8K can get u a 2KVA ARGO (pioneers and one of the best) servo stabilizer with overload cut off(170 to 270V range) and spike protection. This will work. Problem is it wont look as cool as the monster product!
Regards

Dinyaar, thanx for your suggestion. Actually, was in the market today for surge and spike protector, looked at various brands, some very cheap ones, Oxygen was good around Rs 200, but finally bought MX 969, 5 socket, circuit breaker with EMI/RFI noise filter, looks solid though, Rs. 500.:)

Hi Anm,
Its just a servo stabilizer not an isolation Transformer. They make UIT s too but it costs more. Calculate your total load and keep a 30% additional buffer when u order the size of a servo or a UIT for that matter.
Regards

Last edited:
KryKard and Vertex are also good brands for Servo Stabs. KryKard has nation wide network. But before anything else please check Earthing in your house wiring. In most cases it is not done or not done properly.

Ready made surge protectors (in the price range of Rs 200 to Rs 700) or terminal strips with built in Surge protection are of no use. Most of them use MOVs which fail after some use and you won't even come to know of it.

Hi guys,

I've een using rS. 699 Belkin Surge protector from Reliance Digital and has 6 slots to plug. 600 joules , 19500 amps - donno about hose figures but its 3 months and pretty good.

to add to the info

-MX surgeprotector+power strip is different from simple power strip..former one has some ferrite coil i can see though a cut away...

only surge protector will not protect from hi -lo voltage risk..
-i am using su-kam power dock supports 1.5kva just 400Rs
-see economical protector thread in general chit chat section

What is UIT, isolation transformer and how is it different from servo?
There is some pulzz advertised - is that any good?

Back