Surround sound question

square_wave

May sound like a stupid question :eek:

In modern av receivers, is there a way one can disable the sound going to the surround channels and instead mix it with the front channels. The aim is to enjoy movies through the front mains and the center along with the subwoofer without losing any sound information.

May sound like a stupid question :eek:

In modern av receivers, is there a way one can disable the sound going to the surround channels and instead mix it with the front channels. The aim is to enjoy movies through the front mains and the center along with the subwoofer without losing any sound information.
No option to set the rear speaker to No? Rear surround channel will not mix with front channels. You either have it or don't. How would a car coming from behind in the scene sound as if coming from front?

Center channel set to no mixes with front channels. Sub set to no, makes front channels full range.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

That's correct. Without surround speakers, surround sound should not be expected.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

Yes.. Possible.. Set your surrounds & surround back if any in your AVR to NONE and it would redirect them to your front Left & right..

Most do downmix if you use stereo however I have not tried to down mix to two fronts and centre.
Will have to check if that is possible.

You could output from your source as stereo and use Neo6 Cinema mode with 'None' set for rear channels. Neo6 takes stereo channel and separates it internally to the available channels.

On my Denon AVR had a Virtual Surround mode - This mode lets you experience an expansive surround sound effect when playing back through just the front (L/R) speakers only, and when listening with stereo headphones. This way you can avoid using the surround speakers. However been said that whats the fun of watching 5.1 movies without actual surround speakers :)

As other FMs mentioned in summary, you can achieve it in two way

During AVR calibration disconnect surround or after calibration set surround to none.

Second way is to use Stereo mode in your AVR, all the surround channel sound will be redirected to front channels.

The OP has center channel & wants to use 3.1 set-up, skipping the surrounds..

If you set the surrounds as NONE, you are allowing the AVR to receive the 5.1 content and down-mix to 3.1, which is better than down-mixing to stereo in source and trying to recreate using Neo 6 (or) any other mode..

The OP has center channel & wants to use 3.1 set-up, skipping the surrounds..

If you set the surrounds as NONE, you are allowing the AVR to receive the 5.1 content and down-mix to 3.1, which is better than down-mixing to stereo in source and trying to recreate using Neo 6 (or) any other mode..

Agreed.Neo6 or Dolby II are just options to try out.But if the source has discrete channels built in, setting the rears to none might work better.

Yes. 3.1 is what I am looking for. I already know that stereo downmix is possible for almost all avrs. So a setting of surrounds to " none" should do this trick.

For 3.1, just set rear channels to None. Nothing else. Let receiver decode the input signal and drive the speakers.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back